Strib Article on 1982 Move To Dump

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
Very interesting reflection on the move to the Dump, on the front of the Strib sports page.

Can't find a link to it anywhere on the site, though.

Very interesting reflection on the move to the Dump, on the front of the Strib sports page.

Can't find a link to it anywhere on the site, though.

According to the link below, that's because it's an "Only in your Sunday Star Tribune" article. It will be out on the site by Wednesday.

According to the link below, that's because it's an "Only in your Sunday Star Tribune" article. It will be out on the site by Wednesday.

Not to hijack the thread (it was an interesting story) but how does the Strib make money by NOT allowing readers to click a link? Is anyone out there familiar with this business model?

Not to hijack the thread (it was an interesting story) but how does the Strib make money by NOT allowing readers to click a link? Is anyone out there familiar with this business model?

They're trying to maintain paper-version subscribers by making some of the news exclusive to the paper edition.

Agreed, it was a good story.

They're trying to maintain paper-version subscribers by making some of the news exclusive to the paper edition.

Agreed, it was a good story.

well, duh! i mean you would think that someone with an illustrious university of iowa education would have been able to figure that one out! ;)

StarTrib is also trying to sell an e-version (I got the call the other night) that will allow access to everything in the daily.

Loved this article and still cannot believe the decision to move to the Metrodome. As much as Sid and company have helped the Gopher cause in the past, he and his downtown buddies really screwed the pooch with this one. Count Holtz as a contributor to the madness as well.

I have worked at and around the Legislature since the 1970s and remember the stadium debate like it was yesterday. Getting the Gophers to sign on to the Metrodome deal was the final piece of the puzzle and, as the third tenant, got a lot of legislators to sign onto the deal as it made the whole enterprise more solvent in the eyes of doubters.

One can hash and re-hash that debate, but for you youngsters out there, the whole thing revolved around two basic premises that have pretty much remained in place since the 1960s: (1) Vikings Uber Alles and (2) Minneapolis getting back at Bloomington for the whole Met Stadium thing.

The Metrodome was built for the Vikings. Griffith went along (and got screwed in the process) because he felt he was overpowered and the Twins really stunk back then. The University should have ran the other direction.

Memorial Stadium was in rough shape, but a season or two playing somewhere else while it was upgraded a bit would have been the best solution. It was an absolute great stadium to watch a football game in provided you didn't have to go to the rest room. I always found that a quick sprint to Stub and Herbs at halftime was the best remedy for that.

As it turned out, the Metrodome was luxury as defined by Scandinavian-Americans and is the second ugliest stadium in the history of stadiums, getting nosed out by the Seattle Kingdom. Instead of being Holtz' tool for recruiting Southern kids who were supposedly afraid of late autumn weather in Minnesota, it became the most sterile and dead venue for watching college football in America.

Glad to see the Gophers back on campus. I hope I can get a ticket to a game this season.

My first year at the U was the first year in the dome. What a huge, huge disappointment that move turned out to be!

I was there for the Nebraska butt-kicking and the loss to the U of Pacific and all the others, but frankly none of those compares to the Michigan loss for sheer, unadulterated agony.

I live in Georgia now and would love the opportunity to sit outside and watch my Gophers play again. Having attended games at Georgia Tech and UGA, the atmosphere is something special and I think that, in time, it can special again at Minnesota.

StarTrib is also trying to sell an e-version (I got the call the other night) that will allow access to everything in the daily.

Loved this article and still cannot believe the decision to move to the Metrodome. As much as Sid and company have helped the Gopher cause in the past, he and his downtown buddies really screwed the pooch with this one. Count Holtz as a contributor to the madness as well.

I have worked at and around the Legislature since the 1970s and remember the stadium debate like it was yesterday. Getting the Gophers to sign on to the Metrodome deal was the final piece of the puzzle and, as the third tenant, got a lot of legislators to sign onto the deal as it made the whole enterprise more solvent in the eyes of doubters.

One can hash and re-hash that debate, but for you youngsters out there, the whole thing revolved around two basic premises that have pretty much remained in place since the 1960s: (1) Vikings Uber Alles and (2) Minneapolis getting back at Bloomington for the whole Met Stadium thing.

The Metrodome was built for the Vikings. Griffith went along (and got screwed in the process) because he felt he was overpowered and the Twins really stunk back then. The University should have ran the other direction.

Memorial Stadium was in rough shape, but a season or two playing somewhere else while it was upgraded a bit would have been the best solution. It was an absolute great stadium to watch a football game in provided you didn't have to go to the rest room. I always found that a quick sprint to Stub and Herbs at halftime was the best remedy for that.

As it turned out, the Metrodome was luxury as defined by Scandinavian-Americans and is the second ugliest stadium in the history of stadiums, getting nosed out by the Seattle Kingdom. Instead of being Holtz' tool for recruiting Southern kids who were supposedly afraid of late autumn weather in Minnesota, it became the most sterile and dead venue for watching college football in America.

Glad to see the Gophers back on campus. I hope I can get a ticket to a game this season.

I agree with a lot of that. The article's tone of "It was Paul Giels fault" doesn't completely square with what I remember from the Senate side in those days. Giel lobbied hard for the renovation money. The number has been inflated all right then, and through the years. But it was Sid and the "Big Cigars" who were the force behind those numbers and the move.

Don't blame Paul Geil.

Was there any mention in the Strib article that they fired Joe Soucheray from his sports column because he actively supported the rebellion by Gopher fans who opposed moving the team to the Metro Dome? Since this is a rhetorical question don't bother responding. I already know the answer without wasting my time actually reading the article.

I agree with a lot of that. The article's tone of "It was Paul Giels fault" doesn't completely square with what I remember from the Senate side in those days. Giel lobbied hard for the renovation money. The number has been inflated all right then, and through the years. But it was Sid and the "Big Cigars" who were the force behind those numbers and the move.

Don't blame Paul Geil.

Thanks for sticking up for Mr. Giel. I too remember how hard he pushed to get the dollars to renovate Memorial. The momentum was against him at that time, and he had to protect an entire program. It was an uphill battle to save Memorial back then, and he had to devote time and resources elsewhere. He would have tears in his eyes to see the new stadium, and were he alive, he would have been proudly standing on that field on 9/12.

Thanks for sticking up for Mr. Giel. I too remember how hard he pushed to get the dollars to renovate Memorial. The momentum was against him at that time, and he had to protect an entire program. It was an uphill battle to save Memorial back then, and he had to devote time and resources elsewhere. He would have tears in his eyes to see the new stadium, and were he alive, he would have been proudly standing on that field on 9/12.

You're welcome. It was good to see Giel's son go after the Stirb for the tone of their article.

Top Bottom