STrib: Adding boys' volleyball as sanctioned Minnesota high school sport falls one vote short

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Apparently, a majority of educators in Minnesota approve of boys' volleyball. Just not a big enough majority.

The Minnesota State High School League's Representative Assembly voted Tuesday to deny a proposal to sanction boys' volleyball by one vote. With 48 region representatives voting — three for each of the league's 16 administrative regions and a two-thirds majority necessary for approval — 32 votes were needed.

The final vote was 31 in favor, 17 opposed.

"Obviously, it's disappointing. We were so close," said St. Paul Como Park athletic director Koua Yang, a first-generation Hmong immigrant who spoke to the representative assemble and the large group of supporters assembled at the Marriott West in Brooklyn Park. "It's not about pitting one sport against another. It's about more opportunity for kids."

After falling two votes short of approval in 2021, members of the boys' high school volleyball association refocused their efforts. They attempted to address the concerns of those who had voted against the proposal and worked diligently to get the proposal before the assembly again this year.

"We thought we had it this year," said Krista Flemming of Shakopee, an association director. "We answered all of their questions, but it seems like they didn't listen."

In a statement released after the vote, the association called Tuesday "a sad day for high school athletics in Minnesota. ... Minnesota is missing out on an incredible opportunity with most boys' volleyball student athletes not participating in any other sanctioned sport, and more than half identifying as students of color.

Go Gophers!!

I suspect this could be a small-school/big school issue.

at a smaller school, having Boys VB could take athletes away from another existing team.

And, if they play it as a Spring sport - well, in MN, we all know that the Gym space gets used a lot by baseball and softball while waiting for favorable weather. at a smaller school with fewer facilities, that becomes more of an issue.

plus the cost of coaches, equipment, referees, people to work the scorer's table during games, etc.

from what I've read, this is largely being pushed by metro-area schools.

I suspect this could be a small-school/big school issue.

at a smaller school, having Boys VB could take athletes away from another existing team.

And, if they play it as a Spring sport - well, in MN, we all know that the Gym space gets used a lot by baseball and softball while waiting for favorable weather. at a smaller school with fewer facilities, that becomes more of an issue.

plus the cost of coaches, equipment, referees, people to work the scorer's table during games, etc.

from what I've read, this is largely being pushed by metro-area schools.
No sports are required.

Smaller schools can do co-op teams, if they want.

I want to know where the 17 votes, that denied 55 teams and 1400 athletes a chance to have sanctioning, came from.

No sports are required.

I want to know where the 17 votes, that denied 55 teams and 1400 athletes a chance to have sanctioning, came from.
Not being required to add it, would seem to trump all other arguments??

I wonder if it's not quite so simple?

Like, I wonder if the following is true:
- for any sanctioned sport, a MSHSL member must add the sport if X,Y,Z are met, where those criteria are things not entirely in control by the school district?

I'm just thinking like if somehow the coaches and AD are against it, but enough students and parents override them?

Not being required to add it, would seem to trump all other arguments??

I wonder if it's not quite so simple?

Like, I wonder if the following is true:
- for any sanctioned sport, a MSHSL member must add the sport if X,Y,Z are met, where those criteria are things not entirely in control by the school district?

I'm just thinking like if somehow the coaches and AD are against it, but enough students and parents override them?
Only 1 school of the St. Paul Public Schools (Central) and 1 Minneapolis Public School (Washburn) have Boy's Lacrosse.

No sports are required.

Saw this but can't say for sure if it's accurate. I have seen multiple places that Elk River and White Bear Lake did vote no. I can tell you that a school like Underwood is probably not going to ever have to deal with boys volleyball so it's interesting they still voted no. I guess there's always the chance of a co-op but even then I don't see it happening.

There is no "requirement" to add a sanctioned sport.

But, once it is sanctioned, then districts will be faced with groups calling on them to offer the new sport.

and school boards, in my experience, like to keep the people happy. If they are getting phone calls and e-mails from people asking to add a sport or activity, that will at least get reviewed by the board.

the school district in my home town is adding soccer as a co-op with a neighboring district, due to a push from local residents.

Only 1 school of the St. Paul Public Schools (Central) and 1 Minneapolis Public School (Washburn) have Boy's Lacrosse.
Thanks for bringing this up.

I disagree that this is a valid counter-example, for this reason: if any other SPPS or MPS school says "we want a boy's lacrosse team at our school" the district athletic director can reply very simply with "the district already has a team at [school], so your son is free to co-op over there to play on their team, we'll even provide busing and/or reimburse your for travel costs".

This is just like that single boy's ice hockey team for all of MPS, except they didn't come up with a school-neutral name/color scheme (which isn't required in a co-op).

So that's not like a district (possibly with only one high school) have zero teams at all.

Top Bottom