STrib: 10 reasons why the Gophers basketball season has soured

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia, a few of her 10 reasons why the season has "soured"

Undersized roster

The Gophers are in the national top 40 of analyst Ken Pomeroy’s effective height rankings, but the team’s two tallest players — Konate and Diedhiou — are also still adapting to the American game and have been wholly inefficient. Otherwise, the Gophers have just two players taller than 6-6, and two guards 6-2 or shorter.

Spotty leadership

Pitino has repeatedly talked about upperclassmen King, Carlos Morris and Charles Buggs lacking “vocal” personalities, and although sophomore Nate Mason is emerging in that role, the on-court leader at the end of games hasn’t always been clear.

http://www.startribune.com/10-reasons-why-the-gophers-basketball-season-has-soured/367068261/

Go Gophers!!

Or can be summed up in 4 words:

Lack of recruited talent.

Or can be summed up in 4 words:

Lack of recruited talent.

Too loose of a statement. But lack of talent at the upperclassmen level, I'll give you. Further, the talent that this team has is not properly assembled into the workings of a high-quality team; it is rather massively individualistic in nature. This team is poorly led, at least on the court, they are relatively inexperienced, and they do not play smart basketball. The raw talent exists to win at least a half dozen more games - to this point - than they have. The problem is putting the pieces together.

Too loose of a statement. But lack of talent at the upperclassmen level, I'll give you. Further, the talent that this team has is not properly assembled into the workings of a high-quality team; it is rather massively individualistic in nature. This team is poorly led, at least on the court, they are relatively inexperienced, and they do not play smart basketball. The raw talent exists to win at least a half dozen more games - to this point - than they have. The problem is putting the pieces together.

Exactly right. The team gets such a small amount of minutes and production from upperclassmen compared to most teams. Unless you're Kentucky or Duke, that is a big deal.

1. Lack of developed talented big men.
2. Worst 3 point shooting percentage in over a decade.
3. Free throw shooting percentage below 50%

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. Free throw shooting percentage below 50%

What? There are no players on the team shooting below 50% from the line and there hasn't been a game in which the team shot below 50% from the line.

Also, the 3pt % in 2011 was worse than this year's.

What? There are no players on the team shooting below 50% from the line and there hasn't been a game in which the team shot below 50% from the line.

Also, the 3pt % in 2011 was worse than this year's.
that's not what it feels like. It feels like we're too proud to accept charity at the charity stripe.

that's not what it feels like. It feels like we're too proud to accept charity at the charity stripe.

It doesn't matter what it feels like. Stats are what matter. Stop being an uniformed complainer

It doesn't matter what it feels like. Stats are what matter. Stop being an uniformed complainer
But in doing so, he's just staying in line with the author of the article. Ahem.

There is only one stat that matters, the one in the win column.

There is only one stat that matters, the one in the win column.

Then why did you quote a stat about free throw percentage? And then why make up the stat?

Then why did you quote a stat about free throw percentage? And then why make up the stat?
Because it feels like they only make half of their free throws and I didn't want to explain what half meant to those looking for a number.

Soured? The season hasn't soured. I enjoyed today's game immensely. In fact, the last several games have been most enjoyable. Watching these young guys develop and form into a team is great. And, realizing that Richard CAN really coach is exciting! Soured?

Soured? The season hasn't soured. I enjoyed today's game immensely. In fact, the last several games have been most enjoyable. Watching these young guys develop and form into a team is great. And, realizing that Richard CAN really coach is exciting! Soured?
As you can see, no one is really even interested in debating her points. People seem to have soured on her analysis.

Can't really disagree with what the article says. I think it was pretty reasonable. It's an interesting season that what she said is true but yet the direction the program is heading is very encouraging.

It's cool she does top ten lists, good job, just like City Pages.

To me, this team is a little bit like a jigsaw puzzle, but we don't know what the puzzle is supposed to look like when all the pieces are assembled.

There are some good pieces here, but I'm not sure all the pieces really fit together into a coherent whole.

That is where we get into the "vision" thing. What is the coaches' vision for the program, and how do the various pieces fit into that vision?

There are people who are really high on the potential of this program, and there are people who seem to think the situation is hopeless. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Not sure I would call watching games which you had a chance of winning yet lost, "enjoyable," but I understand where you are coming from. Pitino has impressed me lately. They are playing hard, have cleaned things up on defense, and you can see an offensive flow with Mason handling the ball. They've been right there against three BIG teams but couldn't close. That he has done this with about as little contribution as possible from his junior and senior classes says a lot. Call them "moral victories" if you want, but after Northwestern and Nebraska it's been very nice to see.

Top Bottom