Strack: Gophers Have a New Three-Headed Monster at Running Back

That's right, I remember being happy with the commit. With that said, I'd imagine either Bryce or Cam will be asked to move along after this year.
That’s not how it works….no scholarships have opened up.

Curious how Irving is already at 4 games when we have only played 3 games this season :)

I agree he is going to play but technically he could still play one more then sit the rest of the year.
LOL. Yeah, sorry, I meant I thought he had played in every game so far and probably would have regardless of Mo's injury.

Curious how Irving is already at 4 games when we have only played 3 games this season :)

I agree he is going to play but technically he could still play one more then sit the rest of the year.
I was confused on that as well....

I definitely think they will both play more than 4 games barring an injury. We run the ball a lot and if they continue to develop, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Potts to be right around 20 carries per game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of the year though. I believe Irving is already at 4 games and he is clearly our #2 back right now. So, he'll play. With Thomas, it kind of depends. I think he helps us win football games this year, so I hope he plays. However, I can envision a scenario where Bucky and Potts take up almost all of the carries and you're really talking about 2-3 plays per game - - then maybe PJ saves those for Williams and Wiley?

At the end of the day, if Thomas RS's, he will be a 3rd year FR and playing behind a 2nd year SO next year. Which could be fine but I'm not sure if Thomas necessarily wants to be here in 2025, he'll be almost 25 years old (the average NFL RB is 26).
Did I miss a game?

LOL. Yeah, sorry, I meant I thought he had played in every game so far and probably would have regardless of Mo's injury.
According to the participation report on Gopher Sports website it looks like he did not play against Ohio State so technically Irving still has 2 more games before he is in danger of losing his redshirt.

But at this point I think injury would be the only way he doesn't see the field for the remainder of the season based on the kick return against Miami OH and the way he looked carrying the ball against Colorado. This kid could be special.

Do we think that Irving and Thomas both will play more than 4 games this year and burn the red shirt? This is assuming nobody else goes down with injury.
If they demonstrate they can churn a hundred yards, and don't have fumbleitis, why not? If this will get us wins on normally close games, put them in. It will be good for future RB recruiting.

Debbie Downer here: given the relatively high percentage (15-20 percent chance of a RB missing 4+ games each season per Football Outsiders), propensity of staff to use one back, home artificial turf, there are decent odds we‘ll see more of Irving, Thomas, Williams than we think right now.

On the positive side these guys all look like studs and potential stars. Williams is the odd man out right now but I’m not convinced he isn’t at least serviceable given past use. The other guys are probably just a little better/talented and with the constant threat of immediate transfer have to keep the best players happy and utilized.

Nope. What issue do you have with my post?
My issue is how easy you seem to think it is to just churn the roster like a video game. Just cause a younger guy passes an older guy on the depth chart doesn't mean you can just get the older guy off the team to open a scholarship. Bryce entered here for his junior year knowing well that he was at best probably third on the depth chart. He could easily just stick around another year and graduate and start his life after college. I wouldn't want to risk entering the portal and not getting picked up, and still not have a degree. Fleck can have a talk and make it clear where they are on the depth chart, but it's the players choice at the end of the day. You'd have to be a real scumbag of a coach to try to strong arm kids out the door.

That’s not how it works….no scholarships have opened up.
Someone correct me if I am wrong -- but I believe we only guarantee a scholarship given to an incoming freshman for four years. If that is right, it would work like that for Bryce as he got his for years and will be told his scholarship is not being renewed. I would love to see Cam move to MLB -- but I have a suspicion that we got him in the beginning because we promised him he would be a running back.

Do we think that Irving and Thomas both will play more than 4 games this year and burn the red shirt? This is assuming nobody else goes down with injury.
Not much reason to try to preserve another year for Thomas:

1) He has another year if he wants it (Covid).

2) Statistically, running backs are most likely guys on the team to need a medical redshirt sometime during their careers.

3) Good running backs historically are ready to play earlier than most other positions.

4) We have the best o line we will see for a long time (maybe, maybe not because of talent in the pipeline). We need to win this year. You play your best guys without question.

Fleck said in the presser leading up the Miami that he will play the best player redshirt be damned.

If they demonstrate they can churn a hundred yards, and don't have fumbleitis, why not? If this will get us wins on normally close games, put them in. It will be good for future RB recruiting.
There are two things about Bucky and Ky left to be learned in time. Can they pass block and can they hold on to the ball.

I'd burn them. You can keep using them all year to help you win plus gives them experience. Also zero reason to think Fleck won't continue to find good RBs as he has already brought in Mo, Potts, Ky, and Bucko.

I'd burn them. You can keep using them all year to help you win plus gives them experience. Also zero reason to think Fleck won't continue to find good RBs as he has already brought in Mo, Potts, Ky, and Bucko.
And the one we have coming in this class too, seems legit.

You play to win the games. Play who you have to to win games in year 5 of a program.

You play to win the games. Play who you have to to win games in year 5 of a program.
I would rather have the allure of waiting for a Holland, Register, or Gentry next year rather than seeing their on field performance this year

Someone correct me if I am wrong -- but I believe we only guarantee a scholarship given to an incoming freshman for four years. If that is right, it would work like that for Bryce as he got his for years and will be told his scholarship is not being renewed. I would love to see Cam move to MLB -- but I have a suspicion that we got him in the beginning because we promised him he would be a running back.
Cam to safety? Position of need. He can run. He can catch a ball. Good length. Too slender for LB?

Last edited:

Debbie Downer here: given the relatively high percentage (15-20 percent chance of a RB missing 4+ games each season per Football Outsiders), propensity of staff to use one back, home artificial turf, there are decent odds we‘ll see more of Irving, Thomas, Williams than we think right now.

On the positive side these guys all look like studs and potential stars. Williams is the odd man out right now but I’m not convinced he isn’t at least serviceable given past use. The other guys are probably just a little better/talented and with the constant threat of immediate transfer have to keep the best players happy and utilized.
Or less (unfortunately).

I think Grant Norton would disagree.
If the story we got from Stahl is accurate then yes, his story would run crosswise . . . but I don't know why we should believe Stahl

Cam to safety? Position of need. He can run. He can catch a ball. Good length. Too slender for LB?
Currently he's too slender -- but I don't think he has the lateral quickness and agility to be a safety

Top Bottom