Stoudermire hardship waiver approved

GopherInPittsburgh

Reaction score
via @GoldenGopherFB:

BREAKING NEWS - #Gophers CB Troy Stoudermire's medical hardship waiver was approved today. Stoudermire will be back in Maroon & Gold in 2012

Some great news. Wasn't he close to breaking the return yardage record? Always seemed like one guy away from breaking many a KO return. Much needed experience for our secondary.

Credit to dpodoll for calling this a long time ago. Always nice to get the official word though. Good news is his season ending injury wasn't something like an ACL tear or an Achilles tear. He should be back to full strength

Some great news. Wasn't he close to breaking the return yardage record? Always seemed like one guy away from breaking many a KO return. Much needed experience for our secondary.
I believe he broke the record.

1_123125_123050_2240796_2270148_101012_cb_2m5gfu0.jpg

I believe he broke the record.
The B1G record, not the NCAA one. The NCAA one is held by that kid from Tulsa who got suspended after being charged with embezzlement. He just left the team and the record would be wide open for Troy.

The B1G record, not the NCAA one. The NCAA one is held by that kid from Tulsa who got suspended after being charged with embezzlement. He just left the team and the record would be wide open for Troy.

Seems like a good fit f.or the Hawkeyes.

Outstanding news....just made my day

5353-awww-yeah1.jpg

Between Stoudermire, Vereen, the JUCOs, and an improved pass game, I don't think our pass defense will be that bad this year.

From an October 2011 Post:

If the docs were to deem him to be unable to play through the remainder of the season, there would appear to be an outstanding chance that he'd be granted a fifth year of competition.

Troy's situation is about as straightforward as they come.

Someone brought up Mbakwe - completely different circumstances in many ways, including a completely different NCAA Rule.

Troy's medical hardship waiver was a 98% sure thing. Trevor's got maybe* a 2% chance of having the Five-Year Rule waived.

Stoudermire / Shabazz / Vareen .....SOLID!
Vereen struggled a lot last year and Shabazz is a total unknown. This is great news, but it's hardly a panacea. Our secondary has a lot of work to do between now and September.

Man, good for him. The kid plays hard and we definetly need a lot more of that! Congrats to Troy! I am excited to see him suit up again next year!

Excellent news. I wonder if this will change the way the recruiting class is filled out?

Gopherprof said:
Vereen struggled a lot last year and Shabazz is a total unknown. This is great news, but it's hardly a panacea. Our secondary has a lot of work to do between now and September.
If you had been paying attention to JUCO recruiting you would know that Shabazz may be one of the better pick ups @ CB of all @ that position. Vereen played really well the last few games. Obviously a lot more optimistic then u.

we needed this news.. it was expected but always nice to get conformation... our secondary just got much improved

If you had been paying attention to JUCO recruiting you would know that Shabazz may be one of the better pick ups @ CB of all @ that position. Vereen played really well the last few games. Obviously a lot more optimistic then u.
I follow recruiting very closely, but what the hell, you tell me why Shabazz "may be one of the better picks ups @ CB of all @ that position."

Optimism is great. So are facts. Vereen did struggle heavily last year, and the JUCOs are largely unknowns. I said that work is needed. That's undeniably true.

I'm excited to see Troy back there for a full year. He's worth 1-2 victories...

I follow recruiting very closely, but what the hell, you tell me why Shabazz "may be one of the better picks ups @ CB of all @ that position."

Optimism is great. So are facts. Vereen did struggle heavily last year, and the JUCOs are largely unknowns. I said that work is needed. That's undeniably true.

I'm with Gopherprof, but I do love Stoudemire. I thought he was our best player on D prior to the NDSU game (when he was hurt).

Gopherprof said:

According to scouting sites Shabazz was one of the faster JUCO CB's available. He also was a leader in breaking up passes. Those are facts! Vereen struggling "heavily" is your opinion. I thought he played a lot better at the end of the year.

According to scouting sites Shabazz was one of the faster JUCO CB's available. He also was a leader in breaking up passes. Those are facts! Vereen struggling "heavily" is your opinion. I thought he played a lot better at the end of the year.
Shabazz had an offer from one other BCS program and was rated a 3 star from rivals and a 2 star from scout. To say he may be "one of the better pickups" is speculative, at best. Even still, he may NOT be. So, going back to my original statement, to look at the secondary as anything but a big question mark now is either disingenuous or misinformed.

Regarding Vereen, he did have a nice game against Illinois, but were he on a good team with depth he would have been benched (or never seen the field) after the first few games. Put it this way, if you were to rank our 22 starters from last year, would he be in the top half? The top 75%? If so, who would you put below him? If not, how can you honestly take umbrage with the statement that he struggled mightily? On a 3-9 team, Vereen usually stood out for the wrong reasons.

I hope he continues to improve. I hope the JUCOs can contribute immediately (Lord knows we need it). But to say we're "SOLID" is just....c'mon.... This team needs work everywhere. Even the Head Coach would say that.

Having Stoudermire back is nice because he gives us a known commodity in the defensive backfield and gives us a player we can put down as a starter heading into spring ball and looking to next season. Now the other 3 spots have to be filled in around him. There are a number of bodies so the hope is at least a few of them will pan out or continue to develop.

I don't really want to dive into the whole Shabazz debate but for what it's worth, it is always good to land JUCO guys that seem to have some upside but I know I fall more into the camp that won't put much stock in those guys until they get on campus. More often then not it seems like these JUCO kids end up being disappointments but there are always solid players that come from the JC ranks as well. We signed a number of JC kids for the secondary, if at least a few of them can make an impact for us next year then they were worth the gamble.

Top Bottom