Storming the field?? Please no.

g1976b

Reaction score
Someone beat me to it on twitter, but I was thinking about this the other day. We've had some FANTASTIC opportunities to storm the field in previous victories over Iowa. As one who was on the field both times, they were moments I'll never forget.

That said, if/when we win on Saturday, let's not storm the field. We're a better team now, and this seems to be a "pick 'em" kind of game. Let's not pretend we're knocking off a top 20 team where we went in as huge underdogs.

Act like we've been there before. Because hey, it's Iowa...and we have. :pig:

I agree...storm the field. Let the students have some fun, it will make them want to fill the student section again for the NEB game. Also, I'm sure the many recuits who will be there will find it exciting.

Storming the field is fun. Unless you start to doing it after excepted victories over inconsequential teams. Then it's just silly and ruins it for when a "storm the field" situation is more deserved. Storming the field Saturday would be dumb.

It's a rivalry game and Iowa has the pig. If we win it back, the students should go down on the field and celebrate with the players walking around with Floyd. The rest of the fans storming the field is probably overkill but I think the students should.

Shouldn't this go in the storming the field thread from earlier?

As much fun as it was the other two times...unless we pull off a come from behind last second victory, no storming should occur this year.

Storming the field is fun. Unless you start to doing it after excepted victories over inconsequential teams. Then it's just silly and ruins it for when a "storm the field" situation is more deserved. Storming the field Saturday would be dumb.

I see what you did there.

Why should the students celebrate with the players? I don't get it. Are they trying to win Floyd?

Plus - if students try to storm the field, they might get knocked down by the Security guards.................

We stormed the field at Kinnick Stadium in 1998 after the win because it helped clinch the Sun bowl birth, first time in a long time the gophers were going to a bowl and it was glorious.
I still remember there was a Gopher fan dressed in tupperware and he was incredibly drunk, you could smell the whiskey on his breath, he yelled out I'm rushing the field who is with me? The guy barely had anything you would call clothing on and a lot of body paint.
That was a fun exciting finish to the game when Sean Hoffman tipped that pass way. Still a great memory of running around on the Hawkeyes field, they probably don't remember this but they pulled down the goal posts before we could get to them as we were going to jump on them. I think they do this every game at Kinnick to prevent this. That and they handed out the bowl bound buttons to the Gopher section before the game. Arlund Bruce taking that bubble screen down the field with a convey of Gophers, now that was one heck of a football game even with a Bad Hawkeyes team as the opponent. I expect a tight close game like that one on Saturday. I remember them the Hawks fans parading the Goalposts around in 2007, that was not so glorious. Funny thing was they tried to take the goal posts through the revolving doors before they realized it was a no go.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe fans go on the field after every game at Kinnick.

If the students are excited enough about a win to storm the field, I'm not going to complain.

I agree...storm the field. Let the students have some fun, it will make them want to fill the student section again for the NEB game. Also, I'm sure the many recuits who will be there will find it exciting.

+1

No.

Save it for Nebby or Becky.

if a 4-0 Minnesota team beats a 3-1 Iowa team does that really merit a storming of the field? i would be fine with Wisconsin, but even Nebraska isn't that great this year so i don't know if a win there would merit a storming of the field, they are not Ohio State

if a 4-0 Minnesota team beats a 3-1 Iowa team does that really merit a storming of the field? i would be fine with Wisconsin, but even Nebraska isn't that great this year so i don't know if a win there would merit a storming of the field, they are not Ohio State

While I generally agree with you, I don't think merit has much to do with it. This is about students having a good time. There is enough fun-squashing going on at the U by the administration. Let's not discourage the students who actually do show up from having fun just because Iowa isn't a top 10 team at the moment. Beating iowa always feels good. Let them take what fun they can get - they will be more likely to come back for more.

Someone beat me to it on twitter, but I was thinking about this the other day. We've had some FANTASTIC opportunities to storm the field in previous victories over Iowa. As one who was on the field both times, they were moments I'll never forget.

That said, if/when we win on Saturday, let's not storm the field. We're a better team now, and this seems to be a "pick 'em" kind of game. Let's not pretend we're knocking off a top 20 team where we went in as huge underdogs.

Act like we've been there before. Because hey, it's Iowa...and we have. :pig:

It's Iowa. We own our own house. Let there be celebration.

Brock Vereen welcomes the students to join in the celebration at the end of the most recent #brickbybrick video.

Personally, I want to see the kids get out there for any trophy game.

We are going to question if the students should storm the field??? Wow- this is a hated rivalry, we have some very important recruits at the game- if the game warrants it, storm away baby. To squash any enthusiasm with the gopher football team, with where this program has been in the last 50 years, is completely idiotic.

its the pig.... the 2nd biggest game of the year imo behind sconny... I don't see an issue with rushing the field over a win for the pig... if it was purdue or Indiana I get you point... this is for the pig... we chant "WHO HATES IOWA" weeks before the friggen game... rush the field...

Ok.. fine. Rush the damn field. The more people talk about it, the more I would want to do it too. ha

We stormed the field at Kinnick Stadium in 1998 after the win because it helped clinch the Sun bowl birth, first time in a long time the gophers were going to a bowl and it was glorious.
I still remember there was a Gopher fan dressed in tupperware and he was incredibly drunk, you could smell the whiskey on his breath, he yelled out I'm rushing the field who is with me? The guy barely had anything you would call clothing on and a lot of body paint.
That was a fun exciting finish to the game when Sean Hoffman tipped that pass way. Still a great memory of running around on the Hawkeyes field, they probably don't remember this but they pulled down the goal posts before we could get to them as we were going to jump on them. I think they do this every game at Kinnick to prevent this. That and they handed out the bowl bound buttons to the Gopher section before the game. Arlund Bruce taking that bubble screen down the field with a convey of Gophers, now that was one heck of a football game even with a Bad Hawkeyes team as the opponent. I expect a tight close game like that one on Saturday. I remember them the Hawks fans parading the Goalposts around in 2007, that was not so glorious. Funny thing was they tried to take the goal posts through the revolving doors before they realized it was a no go.

That was in 1999. In 98 we beat them in the dome handily in Hayden Fry's last game.

If the Gophers win, thousands of students rushing the field to celebrate with the players and Floyd (which outsiders dig due to it being a bronze pig) will make for great footage on ABC and later on SportsCenter.

The fans "storm" the field after every game at Kinnick. Fans are allowed on the field much like in MIAC games. It really is no big deal down there. The goalposts are immediately taken down every game as well. I was also there in 1999 for the above mentioned game.

I am all for the students storming the field after the win on Saturday. Adults? Meh. That is up to you. I personally have no interest in it, but have no issue with those who choose to do it.

Top Bottom