Stop Dreaming!

I like how you say "we" like you're on the team. I guarantee the actual "we", the Golden Gophers football program doesn't think the way you do.

Tons of people on the board do this. I'm pretty sure I've said it myself from time to time (though I try very hard not to for the reason you use...not on the team).

You're sticking by 10 wins but Minnesota has NO CHANCE to beat Cal. So we'll be 2-1 and I'm assuming you have us beating SDSU...3-1. So this team with NO CHANCE to beat Cal is going to go 7-1 in the Big Ten (which would be the most wins in a single season in 103 years of playing in the Big Ten) or 6-2 in the Big Ten (the best mark in 42 years) with a bowl win.

Seems about right.

+1 for this ^^^^^

Tons of people on the board do this. I'm pretty sure I've said it myself from time to time (though I try very hard not to for the reason you use...not on the team).
I know. My point was that if you think you have no chance, you're right.

That was a good comment from the Gopher fan on how refreshing it is to see the Cal fans not having an air of cockness. I agree and have enjoyed reading their comments. Air force fans were a little cocky but Syracuse fans take the cake. If you look at their predictions for the Gophers game, I think most of them thought Syracuse would win easy over the Gophers. Their rivals guys in an interview before the game acted like they were going to a BSC bowl game this year.

Take a look at rickmons pick the score post. 2 out of 3 GH'ers pick Cal to win. The key is 85 out of 85 players thinking "we" can win.

Go Gophers!

That's a good point Bayfield. I sure hope I'm wrong but I just don't think we have a chance!

I know we beat PSU and OSU when they were ranked #2 in the nation but the Gophers exposed how weak those teams were and those teams did not even finish the year in the top 25.

This is incorrect. First off, OSU was #6 when we played them, and you are correct in that they finished the year unranked (and John Cooper was fired). But PSU was #2, and finished the season #11.

Of course we have a chance, the score is tied 0-0! Don't stop dreaming, that's why we play the game.

"We" is perfectly legitimate use. We are of course not members of the team, so we aren't "we" in that sense, but fans ought to feel like more than mere passive observers. I remember years back, a Vikings player, when a fan used "we" to refer to the Vikings, the player said "what do you mean 'we'?" Not a good thing, the game wouldn't even exist without fans.

The defeatist attitude is something I know the players and coaches of this program don't have, so that's all I can really ask of them at this point. Of course they have a chance, Cal has a history here with road games away from the west coast, and the Gophers have more good vibes than they've had in years. This is the most anticipated non conference game we've had in I don't know how long, and it's in a brand new stadium that was christened with a win last week in what was universally described as an electric atmosphere. You never know what could happen in this game and I think the team at the very least will play better than expected.

I've seen this scenerio to many times in the past, especially with Mase. Gophers getting ready for a big game to turn the corner and we lose. Plus, I feel we do not have the talent at running back for an effective running game this year. I would not mind the running backs proving me wrong but I just do not see it happening. With no effective running game it's going to be almost impossible to beat Cal, who may very well this year be the best team in the nation. Plus the offensive struggles for the first three quarters in our first two games does not help my confindence in winning this game either.

I know I've always been pretty positive in the past but this game I'm 100 percent certian we will not win.

Gold04--I mean this with no disrespect but I think you overrate the running back position. IMO the OL matters a lot more than the running back for a quality running game. Just look at the Mason offenses, we were fortunate to have Maroney, Barber, etc but when they were injured we didn't really skip a beat with Terry Jackson II or Amir Pinnix who were very average running backs. Do you remember the Michigan State game in 2005 when Maroney & Russell both went down injured in the first half and Pinnix rushed for more than 200 yards in about 2-3 quarters of work?

I'm not ecstatic about our running backs either but if the line opens holes for the RB they are good enough to run through the hole. The biggest difference between Maroney & Bennett is that Maroney was more likely to break a tackle and rip off a long run once he got to the second level but if our OL consistently gets Bennett to the second level we'll be in fine shape. Right now we aren't getting the running back to the second level with any consistency.

I've seen bigger upsets. USC -41 at home vs. Stanford a couple years ago, a 1-2 Oregon State team that was blown out by PSU and lost to a MWC the previous week knocking off #1 USC last year, Appalachian State @ Michigan, etc. We could probably even call Houston @ #5 Oklahoma State which just happened last week a bigger upset than Minnesota winning a home game against #7/8 Cal.

I've seen bigger upsets. USC -41 at home vs. Stanford a couple years ago, a 1-2 Oregon State team that was blown out by PSU and lost to a MWC the previous week knocking off #1 USC last year, Appalachian State @ Michigan, etc. We could probably even call Houston @ #5 Oklahoma State which just happened last week a bigger upset than Minnesota winning a home game against #7/8 Cal.

Not probably. :) This is a bigger upset than anything we could do this season. Nice summary of why I love college FB by the way. Anything can happen and momentum is such a factor.

Ok gold04, admit that wren/loon/bud hijacked your monicker and we can move on.

U Cal is spending a lot of extra money to come in one day early to get acclimated to Central Time. Bringing their team up here an extra day is expensive and I don't think it's because Minneapolis is a vacation destination on their list. Reading between the lines: they're concerned about this game.

We don't have a chance? Every team has a chance until the final tick. Can we win? Absolutely...Will we? Who knows...Should we be worried? Of course. The only thing I'm uneasy about going into this game is we have still yet to show consistency on Offense. Even if our Defense plays an extremely good game it may not take much for Cal to beat us. This could literally be a 21-3, 17-0 type of game. Our Offense is sputtering and Cal's Defense is playing great.......

I just hope the team doesn't get frustrated early, if composure is maintained & we can "conservatize" their Offense we might be able to sleep them into defeat, lol, if you get what I'm saying......

Of course Cal is worried about this game

Ok gold04, admit that wren/loon/bud hijacked your monicker and we can move on.

U Cal is spending a lot of extra money to come in one day early to get acclimated to Central Time. Bringing their team up here an extra day is expensive and I don't think it's because Minneapolis is a vacation destination on their list. Reading between the lines: they're concerned about this game.

It's on the road against a BCS opponent. The reason for coming in a "day early" is a simple one. Tedford got questioned quite a bit last year when he had the team fly to Maryland on Friday instead of Thursday. Tedford says he doesn't think that had any impact on the game's outcome, but he doesn't want to be seen as pig-headed by refusing to try something different. I personally think the humidity had more impact than the travel time.

Final thoughts

As I wrap up this thread, I just want to add some comments. I want people to understand I'd be thrilled if I was wrong. I want us to beat Cal, but this year Cal is just to good.

Penn State did not finish in the top 25 the year the Gophers beat them. Someone here had posted that Penn State finished #11 in the nation in the year the Gophers first beat them. No they did not. PSU went from 8-0 to 8-4 and they fell out of the top 25 after their bowl loss.

Running backs do make a big difference in the running game. Pinnix is better then any back we've got right now. Barber and Maroney are way better then the running backs we have now.

I'll be the loudest one cheering for the Gophers Saturday if my prediction does not come true.

As I wrap up this thread, I just want to add some comments. I want people to understand I'd be thrilled if I was wrong. I want us to beat Cal, but this year Cal is just to good.

Penn State did not finish in the top 25 the year the Gophers beat them. Someone here had posted that Penn State finished #11 in the nation in the year the Gophers first beat them. No they did not. PSU went from 8-0 to 8-4 and they fell out of the top 25 after their bowl loss.

Running backs do make a big difference in the running game. Pinnix is better then any back we've got right now. Barber and Maroney are way better then the running backs we have now.

I'll be the loudest one cheering for the Gophers Saturday if my prediction does not come true.

Bennett is actually pretty comparable to Pinnix but Pinnix ran behind a much better OL. Neither of them are in the ballpark of Maroney or Barber.

I want the Gophers to win Saturday but it's not going to happen! Cal is to fast, big and strong. Our Offense will be lucky to score in double digits. The only chance we have is to rattle their Sophmore QB. Cal's quarterback is going to be standing behind that big oline and have all day to throw the ball. We will not win. Cal is not going to let the Maryland game of 08 happen all over again.

The year was 1977, Michigan ranked #1. Gophers 16 Michigan 0.

I want the Gophers to win Saturday but it's not going to happen! Cal is to fast, big and strong. Our Offense will be lucky to score in double digits. The only chance we have is to rattle their Sophmore QB. Cal's quarterback is going to be standing behind that big oline and have all day to throw the ball. We will not win. Cal is not going to let the Maryland game of 08 happen all over again.

yea you must be right ........... there's never any upsets in college football i really hate when people come on here and badmouth this gopher team from you post i don't know why you don't go buy a cal jersey and hat and be a cal fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WRONG!! The year was 1999, and we beat PSU 24-23 on November 6. They finished the season 10-3 (and at #11) after defeating #18 Texas A&M 24-0 in the Alamo Bowl. You are thinking of the 2000 OSU team (who did not start 8-0, but rather 5-0 until we beat them 29-17 on October 14). So you are absolutely 100% wrong on both counts!!

Stop back anytime you want some more lessons!

128706274682742119.jpg

Gold04's statements reminds me of the statements that Denver Broncos players were making leading up to Superbowl 36 (versus Green Bay). Denver had lost 5 superbowls (often times in an embarassing fasion) in the preceding years. The players would get on TV and talk only about how good Green Bay was. They came just short of saying that Green Bay would beat them 100-0. At first fans were like' what the f," but I think many fans eventually saw a little bit of "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" when this talk was happening. The Broncos had a quiet confidence and the forced the spotlight directly on Green Bay. In the end... Denver won :)

Gold04's statements reminds me of the statements that Denver Broncos players were making leading up to Superbowl 36 (versus Green Bay). Denver had lost 5 superbowls (often times in an embarassing fasion) in the preceding years. The players would get on TV and talk only about how good Green Bay was. They came just short of saying that Green Bay would beat them 100-0. At first fans were like' what the f," but I think many fans eventually saw a little bit of "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" when this talk was happening. The Broncos had a quiet confidence and the forced the spotlight directly on Green Bay. In the end... Denver won :)

Not very nice to bring up that memory :(.

I'm dreaming about our front 7 and Theret shutting down Best. :). I'm doubling down on Theret having a huge game helping out stopping the run.

Cal is "to" fast, you say, so the Gophers can't win. I see. I wonder if the Gophers might not be "too" fast for Cal

The sad thing is that there's a very good chance Cal WILL win this game and then all the 'doom and glooms' will come back saying I told you the gophers had no chance. A gophers victory will be an upset, but upsets happen every week and they all involve a team with more speed and more athletes losing to a inferior squad. It's tied at zero right now....you never know!!!!

dpodoll,

I'm not wrong on both accounts because I was NOT thinking about OSU, I was thinking about PSU. Sorry to hurt your feelings! I finally made one mistake. Not the end of the world.

Top Bottom