Still stings

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
This set of conservative play calling still stings. It may have surpassed Mason continuing to watch slow linebackers chase Chris Perry in the Michigan debacle.

I mean, 9 plays, 32 yards and 4:17 off the clock.

Really PJ, you didn’t want to take one shot on the final 2nd or 3rd down? Just beyond dumb.

Attachments

• 042087E7-6AD7-49A0-BEC1-E301F21CE026.jpeg
    042087E7-6AD7-49A0-BEC1-E301F21CE026.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 96

This set of conservative play calling still stings. It may have surpassed Mason continuing to watch slow linebackers chase Chris Perry in the Michigan debacle.

I mean, 9 plays, 32 yards and 4:17 off the clock.

Really PJ, you didn’t want to take one shot on the final 2nd or 3rd down? Just beyond dumb.
You need to let this sequence go. We killed the rest of the clock and took a 3 point lead into halftime on the road. We didn't lose the Iowa game because we didn't try to throw at TD pass at the end of the half.

Move on.

I too wish we had won the game. Calling out individual play calls is a pretty futile activity

“Hindsight is 50/50”
-Jerry kill

But it's so much fun to be miserable!
180360330-grumpy-cat-i-had-fun-once__1_.png

I too wish we had won the game. Calling out individual play calls is a pretty futile activity

“Hindsight is 50/50”
-Jerry kill
In his defense he is obsessing over a whole series of play calls :)

But yeah, you can drive yourself nuts playing the what if game after the fact. I mean we could have taken a shot at the endzone in that series, thrown a pick 6 and been down 7 heading into halftime.

People love to say, "well if only we would have done this instead....." not taking into account that you can't just change one piece and still assume that everything else would have played out exactly the same.

2019 and 2021 sting a bit more when I see what we are losing on Offensive Line and defense. We have 4 guys going to the NFL combine and had a really strong team that had the ability to break through and be in Indy in two of the last 3 seasons. Hope we can get there this fall.

“There are people in your life
Who've come and gone
They let you down
You know they've hurt your pride
You better put it all behind you baby
'Cause life goes on
You keep carryin' that anger
It'll eat you up inside baby”

- D. Henley / J.D. Souther

“The moment I let go of it
Was the moment I got more than I could handle
The moment I jumped off of it
Was the moment I touched down”

- A. Morrissette / G. Ballard

“Never cared for what they say
Never cared for games they play
Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know”
― Metallica

In his defense he is obsessing over a whole series of play calls :)

But yeah, you can drive yourself nuts playing the what if game after the fact. I mean we could have taken a shot at the endzone in that series, thrown a pick 6 and been down 7 heading into halftime.

People love to say, "well if only we would have done this instead....." not taking into account that you can't just change one piece and still assume that everything else would have played out exactly the same.
Also in my defense, our coach has done the same thing in multiple games.

But hard to get on a gopher message board, see the recent decommitment, and not think about the absurdity of some of our coaching decisions.

But hard to get on a gopher message board, see the recent decommitment, and not think about the absurdity of some of our coaching decisions.
Do you have a kid playing bball in Idaho? I kid, I kid.

Wait, you're thinking the decommitment had something to do with the playcalling at the end of the first half against Iowa?

Wait, you're thinking the decommitment had something to do with the playcalling at the end of the first half against Iowa?
No, but it may have something to do with a WR not wanting to play for a team so conservative. I am sure he watched his cousins in that game and watched us go into a shell, but on a larger scale, is well aware we run the ball 70% of the time.

I used that one example as part of a larger trend.

Attachments

• 13445A43-8C1F-44DE-B583-0CAB8E50FFE3.jpeg
    13445A43-8C1F-44DE-B583-0CAB8E50FFE3.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 9

No, but it may have something to do with a WR not wanting to play for a team so conservative. I am sure he watched his cousins in that game and watched us go into a shell, but on a larger scale, is well aware we run the ball 70% of the time.

I used that one example as part of a larger trend.
What if we ran the ball that much because we didn't have a strong WR group and he saw an opportunity to get some immediate playing time?

And also, also, and also in your defense, your first sentence above is the crux of the matter. Fleck's bad hire of Sanford did cost us a rare chance for a truly exceptional season with the talent we had.

No, we did not lose the Iowa game because of the referenced sequence of downs. Going to half with a lead was good. But Sanford systematically failed to mix up the play calling most games.

And that's behind us now.

We didn't lose the Iowa game because we didn't try to throw at TD pass at the end of the half.
Minnesota lost to Iowa because when Ferentz mindlessly went for it on fourth down in the fourth quarter, and came-up short, they just gave them a first down to prevent a fan meltdown at home.

Dumb take Crab and Wright were more than serviceable talent
As dumb of a take as a guy decommitting because of our supposedly overly conservative offense despite having put multiple WR in the NFL, and PJ/Simon producing a top 10 pick at Western Michigan of all places?

We all share frustrations with our offense from last year (including the head coach who fired the OC), but you seem particularly hung up on this one series against Iowa.

I hated the bleed the clock, run around like crazy making adjustments before snapping with one second left offense. I don't remember that being the case when KC was here before and I hope like heck it is gone for good.

But I don't have a problem with what we did during that series leading up to halftime at Iowa, not one bit. You need to let that one go and move on.

And also, also, and also in your defense, your first sentence above is the crux of the matter. Fleck's bad hire of Sanford did cost us a rare chance for a truly exceptional season with the talent we had.

No, we did not lose the Iowa game because of the referenced sequence of downs. Going to half with a lead was good. But Sanford systematically failed to mix up the play calling most games.

And that's behind us now.
If you think the play calling and game plans were all Sanford, well…. Okay.

As dumb of a take as a guy decommitting because of our supposedly overly conservative offense despite having put multiple WR in the NFL, and PJ/Simon producing a top 10 pick at Western Michigan of all places?
I don’t know what to tell you if you think running it on 70% of our plays has no bearing on what type of offensive talent will sign with us.

That being said, I do like what your husband has done for our program, I just wish he didn’t do things like punt from WIs 37 yard line on 4th and 2. Maybe you can somehow get him to be less conservative.

I don’t know what to tell you if you think running it on 70% of our plays has no bearing on what type of offensive talent will sign with us.

That being said, I do like what your husband has done for our program, I just wish he didn’t do things like punt from WIs 37 yard line on 4th and 2. Maybe you can somehow get him to be less conservative.
I could list complaints about PJ too (your WI punt reference being my biggest), I'm just not digging up play calls from 3 months ago and worrying about if it will kill all of our recruiting hopes. Somehow I think we will survive.

Top Bottom