Still can’t believe what we witnessed this season

mjfelton15

Banned
Reaction score
We started this season with 3 serious nail biters in a row. Games that virtually all came down to the last play or two. The chance of us walking away victorious in all three of those was probably astronomical.
To go from that, to the scoretastic domination revenge tour against teams like Illinois, Nebraska, and Maryland. To beat #4 Penn State, storm the field, and be 9-0. To end our season watching the Gophers land an 11th W by beating Auburn, a blue blood SEC team that beat Bama to end their regular season, in a New Year’s Day Bowl...I just can’t wrap my head around it still. I know we didn’t get to the Big Ten Championship, I know we didn’t make it into the Rose Bowl, I know we didn’t get to the CFP.
But I can’t complain at all, this season still surpassed all expectations. It’s still the best season I’ve ever witnessed. Even though I can remember the 10-3 season under Mason, this definitely beats that in my book. This one leaves me feeling a much bigger sense of hope and promise for the future. If Fleck sticks around, as awesome as this year was, I think we’ll remember this season as just the beginning.
September 3rd of 2020 cannot come soon enough.

Last edited:

Brother, I feel exactly the same. From the early games hoping Tanner just plays within himself and manages the games, to having one of the scariest passing attacks in football is another example. What this team proved this year was absolutely amazing. My New Years resolution (besides losing weight again) will be to expect greatness.

I agree with felton15, an amazing season. Gotta keep Fleck no matter the cost, almost.... He's a genius in his own way.

Yep best season in my lifetime! Mas team that went to the Sun Bowl and won their bowl game to finish 10-3 was not nearly as good as this team in my opinion.

3:15pm yesterday I was already looking forward to September 2020. Amazing season with a springboard for the future.

A very good season - BUT - the losses to IA and WI - at least for me - bring down the overall score.

Simple math. if the Gophs want to win the division and have a shot to play for a B1G Championship or even a spot in the national playoffs, they have to beat IA and WI. hard to envision a scenario where the Gophers lose to IA and WI and still win the division. ergo, they have to beat IA and WI. plus, the whole rivalry and Trophy thing.

In my book, it cannot be an "amazing" season if you lose the Pig and the Axe. Bleep the bleepin' Victory Bell. The Pig and the Axe are the two trophies that matter. And the Jug, if the schedule-makers ever let the Gophs play Michigan again.

A very good season - BUT - the losses to IA and WI - at least for me - bring down the overall score.

Simple math. if the Gophs want to win the division and have a shot to play for a B1G Championship or even a spot in the national playoffs, they have to beat IA and WI. hard to envision a scenario where the Gophers lose to IA and WI and still win the division. ergo, they have to beat IA and WI. plus, the whole rivalry and Trophy thing.

In my book, it cannot be an "amazing" season if you lose the Pig and the Axe. Bleep the bleepin' Victory Bell. The Pig and the Axe are the two trophies that matter. And the Jug, if the schedule-makers ever let the Gophs play Michigan again.
Like they say, Every party has a pooper

Well it is only the best season we have had in over 50 years. The best part is that it was amazing and still leaves the next step to be winning the B1G West and playing in the title game, Rose Bowl, CFP on the table to be even better seasons!

I have briefly spoken to a dozen Gopher fans down here in Florida who were at the game. Every single one has said exactly the same thing: They will smile from now right through the summer. One guy added "Life just does not get better than yesterday." All are totally enjoying the moment (except Bob).

I believe "amazing" is an appropriate adjective for unquestionably the best Gopher Football season in 50+ years, but everyone's book is different.

First stop: Amazing

Next Stop: Legendary

Beating Auburn changed the feeling of the season for me. I always recognized that we had some great components as a team, and beating Penn State was wonderful. But getting kicked by Wisconsin and losing such a close chance to go to the Rose Bowl had me feeling a bit down about the overall season. But it's exciting to really realize that we beat Auburn and are in the discussion of top 10 teams. I love this team so much.

Each to his own, I guess, but I've been a die hard fan since about 1960 and never enjoyed a season more and that includes those Rose Bowl years. We haven't had two victories over teams the caliber of Penn State and Auburn in one season since the early 60's. Beating Wisconsin last year was great and there were isolated victories over Iowa, Penn State, and Michigan over the years but it sort of felt like those occasional upsets weren't anything to build on.

This seems way different to me. The potential of this program was on display yesterday and, like a lot of people, I'm ready for next season today! (And to save you yet another glass half empty response, yes, I realize they have to do it on the field.)

I think the fact that we can have such a great season but still feel like we left some things on the table (in this case the rivalry wins) is most exciting to me. Really feels like expectations are changing. Hopefully this is all setting up for a nice little revenge tour for the Pig, Axe, and Jug next season.

Watching our Gophers dominate a good Auburn team yesterday will go down as a top FB memory for me and it helped to end the season on such a high note.

We are so unaccustomed to a season like this to the point that we expect the worst. Somebody has to update the "How to talk Minnesotan" book. Negative thought is ingrained in us after years of self flatulations.

Having lived through the Iowa game in person, and feeling so crushed at the Wisconsin game, the season lost a little of its luster for me the last few weeks. I felt sort of quietly burned out.

A few relatives were sort of shocked that I had not committed to traveling to Tampa. Predictably, it was one of the greatest wins ever and I missed it.

I will agree that this was the best season in my lifetime without a doubt. This win was spectacular and will energize the passive fans, and was enough for most doubters to get past the failure to beat UW or Iowa to get back the Rose Bowl.

For me it all got real at the Penn State game. The dreaded 11AM start had me concerned, but I have never seen an environment at TCF even close to what unfolded. Almost the whole stadium was standing and incredibly loud the whole game, with the looming Gopher like collapse averted at the end. The first half of the Michigan 2003 game was close in terms of crazy environment, but this was bigger.

I hope we can have a few more games like the Penn State game next year. (Iowa, MIchigan for starters)

I remember the days when beating Iowa or Wisconsin at the end of the season was our bowl game in an otherwise dreary season. Yes, it would be great to have at all and beat them too but I will take a 11-2 record with losses to our hated rivals over the bad old days every time.

We are so unaccustomed to a season like this to the point that we expect the worst. Somebody has to update the "How to talk Minnesotan" book. Negative thought is ingrained in us after years of self flatulations.
I don't think that word means what you think it means

I’ve always enjoyed watching the Outback Bowl over the Citrus Bowl. Better stadium and always seems to be a better game. You could not cap a season like the Gophers had any better. The Gophers were in control of that game from start to finish. By the way, the last time Minnesota beat 2 teams ranked as high as Auburn and PSU in the same season, 1953!!!! The Gophers haven’t had a season anywhere near as good as this one in my memory. 2016 recruiting class will be remembered forever.

I’ve always enjoyed watching the Outback Bowl over the Citrus Bowl. Better stadium and always seems to be a better game. You could not cap a season like the Gophers had any better. The Gophers were in control of that game from start to finish. By the way, the last time Minnesota beat 2 teams ranked as high as Auburn and PSU in the same season, 1953!!!! The Gophers haven’t had a season anywhere near as good as this one in my memory. 2016 recruiting class will be remembered forever.

Great stat! Now if we can top it with 3 or even 4 next year. The Gophers will probably get a shot at it against Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin and maybe a bowl opponent. And get a nice collection of trophies to boot.

A year ago we felt pretty good about a 2-game winning streak where we handled both Bucky and GT just like Auburn on Wednesday.

2018 Record: 7-6.
2019 Record: 11-2.

The trend line is very steep in the right direction.

Progress.

Both losses this season were our opponents' best win of the year. Our losses are usually our opponents' "yeah but they haven't beat anyone good" wins.
The schedule at the beginning of the season was "soft" but usually those are the biggest wins of the year.
The two big wins were the highlights, but the whole season was different

Best Gopher football season in my lifetime. Hopefully, more to come. I’m already stoked for spring practice to start.

Some farts seem deadly, but usually its hyperbole.

Top Bottom