Stewart Mandel’s Big Ten conference predictions

pk2

Reaction score
From theathletic.com, Stewart Mandel's B1G preview. Here are the Gophers-related comments:

West
TEAMCONFOVERALL
Wisconsin8-111-1
Iowa7-210-2
Minnesota5-48-4
Northwestern4-57-5
Nebraska4-56-6
Purdue2-74-8
Illinois1-83-9

Player of the Year​

Minnesota RB Mohamed Ibrahim. With a fairly unproven lineup of returning quarterbacks, I’ll go with a guy who cracked 1,000 yards and scored 15 touchdowns in a seven-game season. He comes into the season having rushed for at least 100 yards in eight straight games.

Coach most likely to bolt on his own​

Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck. Mr. Row the Boat already had wandering eyes after the Gophers’ historic 11-win season in 2019. If Minnesota rebounds and proves last year’s dip was an aberration, he’ll be right back on Power 5 schools’ radars.

This is a pay site, and here's the link to the entire article, for those who subscribe:

#@$^! on the second comment.

#@$^! on the second comment.
It’ll always be a low-effort take to make on any young coach. The only way it can be silenced is with a Matt Campbell-esque denial of a massive contract from an NFL team.

It’ll always be a low-effort take to make on any young coach. The only way it can be silenced is with a Matt Campbell-esque denial of a massive contract from an NFL team.
And that rumored offer was proven to be false.

Have an athletic subscription and the entire piece was pretty low effort. He expects Penn State to rebound from their everything that could go wrong 2020 season but doesn't think the same for us apparently.

The Fleck comment is just lazy but it is easy low hanging fruit. Even though Fleck continues to give no impression he is looking to get out of town and he easily could have during 2019 if he wanted to.

To those who have an issue with the PJ pick, who do you think is more likely to leave on their own in the West? It's certainly not Ferentz or Chryst. Bielema just got to Illinois. Frost likely doesn't have a lot of schools clamoring for him. You could argue Fitz but he seems like a good candidate to stay at NW for 30+ years. Only other one I would consider is Brohm, but as of right now PJ's stock has to be much higher in the coaching world.

To those who have an issue with the PJ pick, who do you think is more likely to leave on their own in the West? It's certainly not Ferentz or Chryst. Bielema just got to Illinois. Frost likely doesn't have a lot of schools clamoring for him. You could argue Fitz but he seems like a good candidate to stay at NW for 30+ years. Only other one I would consider is Brohm, but as of right now PJ's stock has to be much higher in the coaching world.
Great points. He can be most likely and still be very unlikely.

8-4 would be disappointing but not the end of the world.

8-4 with a bowl win would be in the mix as the 2nd-4th best team in the last 30 years with 2016, 2014, and 2003.

I would consider 8-4 a solid season. OSU, WI, @IA, @IN, @NW, @Purdue, @CU, etc. This is not an easy schedule.

Brohm, Franklin and Schiano as candidates to jump ship on their own. I would put Franklin higher than Fleck for sure as one who would leave on his own.

I know Schiano has Rutgers ties but how long is he going to be content to stay in the shadow of Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan? Seems unlikely that he can get Rutgers to a level where they become a true contender in the East but I guess you never know.

Brohm, Franklin and Schiano as candidates to jump ship on their own. I would put Franklin higher than Fleck for sure as one who would leave on his own.

I know Schiano has Rutgers ties but how long is he going to be content to stay in the shadow of Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan? Seems unlikely that he can get Rutgers to a level where they become a true contender in the East but I guess you never know.
I think the preview only for the West, bet Brohm wishes he had taken the Louisville job

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophs have another strong year - at least 9 wins or even 10. A season like that, coupled with the 11-win season of 2019 and his big year at Western Michigan could make Fleck a candidate for other jobs - but the question is what would constitute an upward move as opposed to a lateral move.

I don't see Fleck just leaving for a similar job. And, despite some of the program's issues, MN is still a B1G school - in arguably the 2nd-best P5 FB conference. So what would be an upward move?

it would have to be a perennial top-20 level team. But - would one of those helmet schools accept everything Fleck brings with him - the slogans, sayings, acronyms, etc? Would a top SEC school let Fleck be Fleck? If Michigan dumps khaki pants man, would they let Fleck be Fleck? I dunno.

This is his third stint at Rutgers (including a year as a GA). He's already left there once to go to the NFL. There has to be some understanding that he won't bolt again, doesn't there? On the other hand, he is in his mid-50s so there would conceivably be time for him to re-establish Rutgers somewhat and still take another job in a couple of years.

The schedule is never easy. 8-4 would be shit.

Edit: assuming relative health at key positions
8-4 would be at worst the 5th best season in the last 30 years. At best second:

It would be disappointing. Hardly shit though

Seems extreme to me but I guess we are all allowed to have our own expectations.
We return the most experienced OL in the country and a stud RB. Our coach has promoted each class and has a of his guys in place. We return a 4 year starter at QB. We have added players at every level of the defense who should start/play a lot. If 8-4 is a satisfying season then this program is going the wrong ass direction.

The OOC schedule is pretty soft. Should be 3-0, especially with Colorado’s injuries at QB.

Northwestern, Purdue, Illinois and Nebraska should all be wins.

Going 1-4 against tOSO, wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana and Maryland would be shit. Time to step up and compete with Iowa and wisconsin. Indiana and Maryland are both very winnable games.

We went 8-4 in 2013, 2014 and 2016, the three years prior to PJ taking over.
No way in year five of RTB we don't do better than that.
Recruiting has been improved, S&C and training/nutrition and facilities for training/dining improved, coaching staff much improved, culture improved, academics improved.
This is a player-led team in a developmental program in year five of development.
10-2 is the downside.

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Gophs have another strong year - at least 9 wins or even 10. A season like that, coupled with the 11-win season of 2019 and his big year at Western Michigan could make Fleck a candidate for other jobs - but the question is what would constitute an upward move as opposed to a lateral move.

I don't see Fleck just leaving for a similar job. And, despite some of the program's issues, MN is still a B1G school - in arguably the 2nd-best P5 FB conference. So what would be an upward move?

it would have to be a perennial top-20 level team. But - would one of those helmet schools accept everything Fleck brings with him - the slogans, sayings, acronyms, etc? Would a top SEC school let Fleck be Fleck? If Michigan dumps khaki pants man, would they let Fleck be Fleck? I dunno.
Fleck has also become a huge part of the TC community. Why start all over again in a new place unless the move is a truly dramatic upgrade?

8-4 probably means the trophy case will still be empty at season's end.

Do Not Want!

Top Bottom