Steven Ortiz

Was this an instance of Entering the transfer portal without proving anything and not getting interest or is there a reason for this decision

Makes you wonder what the coaches have told him. Maybe bluntly honest with him that he may not be a p5 caliber player.

Best of luck to him @ UMass.

I would have guessed there would be plenty of G5 programs who would be interested in a P5 4* with an impressive offer list. Can't believe UMass was his best offer!
This is no rip on Ortiz, but he also couldn’t crack the field at a decent school. I think college production will almost always trump recruiting rankings unless the guy is buried behind all American type talent (Joe burrow, etc.).

I wish him nothing but the best but I don’t think he would have played much here. That doesn’t mean he can’t have a great career, it sounds like Bennie sapp has an nfl chance.

Looks like he’s landed at UMASS. Doesn’t appear any other outgoing players have committed yet.
eek thats one of if not the worst D1 program this year. Has MN had poor luck with 4 star players? Jeff Jones is the first one that comes to mind.

This is no rip on Ortiz, but he also couldn’t crack the field at a decent school. I think college production will almost always trump recruiting rankings unless the guy is buried behind all American type talent (Joe burrow, etc.).

I wish him nothing but the best but I don’t think he would have played much here. That doesn’t mean he can’t have a great career, it sounds like Bennie sapp has an nfl chance.
Likely most of the secondary from last year makes the NFL… so it’s not like he was a WR in the Badgers that couldn’t crack the starting lineup or anything…

eek thats one of if not the worst D1 program this year. Has MN had poor luck with 4 star players? Jeff Jones is the first one that comes to mind.
Meh. Hit and miss. Composite 4 stars per 247 under PJ

Carter Coughlin
Curtis Dunlap
Daniel Faalele
Trey Bixby
Steven Ortiz
Anthony Smith
Daniel Jackson
Itavyion Brown
MarKeise Irving
Athan Kaliakmanis
Deven Eastern
Jerome Williams
Darius Taylor
Rashod Bateman

Mixed bag...some left kinda of unknown why (Brown, Dunlap), maybe playing time (Ortiz), $$$ (Irving), NFL (Coughlin, Bateman, Faalele), and most of the others it's too soon.

I read where a couple of Arizona (Tucson) players are transferring to UMass. I'm guessing the band is getting back together.
Steven is from a Phoenix suburb. About 2 hrs from Tucson.

Last edited:

Top Bottom