Steven Ortiz Jr. to enter transfer portal

Well that's sucky news. Walley obviously has one of the starting spots locked down....but is he buried down the depth chart or something? Bishop set to take over the other starting position?

Safety is what CRG was saying in the other thread. No path to playing time

At last year's bowl game in Phoenix I ended up sitting next to 2 kids who had went to high school with Ortiz. One was certain that Ortiz was set to transfer. It took one more year, but he was right.

I wonder if his father has any connections to the new ASU coach, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up there. Good luck to him wherever he winds up.

Only one game in two years is surprising. Like he wasn't playing well enough to end up on the kickoff team or something?

Good luck to him, he and his family seemed to be all in with Fleck and the Gophers. Just didn't work out apparently.

Kind of reminds me of Benny Sapp. Highly rated but got stuck behind really good players.

I wish him luck!

Best of luck to Steven. HS Star Ratings are just that. It is a perceived potential. Many kids that are superstars in HS find that college-level competition is more intense.

Everyone is just as bigger, faster, or stronger. The Gophers have come a long way with recruiting. They still need to get more game-changing players than they are getting.

Could see this one coming, hasnt been able to get on the field, and was practicing with the safeties rather than corners.

Best of luck to him.

This started to materialize when it became clear Coleman Bryson was a stud, as the staff couldn't stop talking about him this fall.

I hope he finds what he's looking for.

another reminder to not get too excited on signing day about star ratings or commitments. you just don't know how things are going to work out.
Stars mean nothing after the obvious guys Gramma can pick out.

I'm not sure if his heart was in it. If he was thinking of transferring a year ago, did he work hard in the off season to make it work this year? Everything happens typically in the off season to make great strides during the season.

Bummer, was a player I was hoping it would work out for given how excited and on board he was during the recruiting process. Hopefully he finds a good fit somewhere else.

Wonder if he was influenced at all by knowing that Nubin would return (speculating based on some saying Ortiz had moved to safety)

I ran into Ortiz last night, asked him about the transfer portal and he said he wanted to be closer to home. I thought he might have mentioned possibly ASU but it was loud so I'm not positive.

I ran into Ortiz last night, asked him about the transfer portal and he said he wanted to be closer to home. I thought he might have mentioned possibly ASU but it was loud so I'm not positive.
In this case I believe him. Him and his family have been all in with Fleck and the program so find it unlikely it has anything to do with him.

Top Bottom