Steve Spurrier wants players paid $3500-$4000/year

Why would SEC players take a pay cut like that? Sorry...way too easy.

I think all the registered agents should contribute to a pool to pay the players, if ever a thing ever came to fruition. I personally am against it, but if it happens I would rather see those blood suckers have to put some skin in the game. Contribute to players that will never sign an NFL contract for the right to garner too much money for their services from those who do sign.

If you're out on the recruiting trail it might come in handy to say 'Hey, I want to pay you but the NCAA is against it".

They are already being paid thousands of dollars with their scholarship covering everything possible that could come up in college. I have two kids who will both have $50,000 to $60,000 thousand in debt when they get out of school. Someone needs to let these kids know they are already being paid and they should appreciate it.

They are already being paid thousands of dollars with their scholarship covering everything possible that could come up in college. I have two kids who will both have $50,000 to $60,000 thousand in debt when they get out of school. Someone needs to let these kids know they are already being paid and they should appreciate it.

Well told.
College rosters should be filled with college students playing sports, not semi-pro players auditioning for the NBA and NFL.

Well told.
College rosters should be filled with college students playing sports, not semi-pro players auditioning for the NBA and NFL.
why is it that minnesota gopher fans seem to prefer a D3 sports model, yet don't flinch when the athletic department grabs its $20,000,000+ annual check from the BTN and cashes it? same with the gopher 'share' of BCS bowl revenue...and a 1/12 share of the ESPN/ABC TV contract for football.

that's many tens of millions of dollars that flow into the athletic dep't coffers every year, so that it can support a couple dozen money-losing programs

time to get real here

and you

why is it that minnesota gopher fans seem to prefer a D3 sports model, yet don't flinch when the athletic department grabs its $20,000,000+ annual check from the BTN and cashes it? same with the gopher 'share' of BCS bowl revenue...and a 1/12 share of the ESPN/ABC TV contract for football.

that's many tens of millions of dollars that flow into the athletic dep't coffers every year, so that it can support a couple dozen money-losing programs

time to get real here

and you

Just to be clear here- you would rather pay college football players than have non-revenue college sports exist?

Take a minute and think about the ramifications of that decision.

Just to be clear here- you would rather pay college football players than have non-revenue college sports exist?

I am absolutely in favor of determining -- then doing -- what is necessary to preserve, enhance and protect the greatest sport known to man...that being college football...with college basketball being somewhat, but not too far, behind...

with the gopher athletic dep't receiving its annual $3,000,000 subsidy from the U's general fund (even with all the conference-shared revenue currently pouring in)...and with the steady drumbeat of pressure to attempt to reign in costs in college athletics...and with an understanding of which geese lay the golden eggs...and with an acknowledgement that the student-athletes who make it possible for these 3-4 geese (football, men's hoops, men's hockey and maybe wrestling?) to lay their golden eggs are generally NOT from affluent backgrounds...and with an awareness that said student-athletes are going to be presented with cash opportunities that may put their amateur status and their teams' good standing in jeopardy, I would be more than willing to think out of the box!!

if a few sacrificial lambs are needed, then so be it.

my position on whether to 'save' tennis, baseball, golf, gymnastics, etc. has "evolved"

I am absolutely in favor of determining -- then doing -- what is necessary to preserve, enhance and protect the greatest sport known to man...that being college football...with college basketball being somewhat, but not too far, behind...

with the gopher athletic dep't receiving its annual $3,000,000 subsidy from the U's general fund (even with all the conference-shared revenue currently pouring in)...and with the steady drumbeat of pressure to attempt to reign in costs in college athletics...and with an understanding of which geese lay the golden eggs...and with an acknowledgement that the student-athletes who make it possible for these 3-4 geese (football, men's hoops, men's hockey and maybe wrestling?) to lay their golden eggs are generally NOT from affluent backgrounds...and with an awareness that said student-athletes are going to be presented with cash opportunities that may put their amateur status and their teams' good standing in jeopardy, I would be more than willing to think out of the box!!

if a few sacrificial lambs are needed, then so be it.

my position on whether to 'save' tennis, baseball, golf, gymnastics, etc. has "evolved"

........to making college sports another FB and BB professional league?

Yes.
How do non-revenue sports exist at d3 or high schools? They don't get millions from a football team. I care as much about *insert random public high school" soccer/golf/tennis team as I do about the U's non-revenue teams, and judging by attendance and support, most agree with me.

For that matter, how do club teams exist at the U?

If you don't spend the $25 Million in annual profit from football/basketball on non-revenue sports, that money doesn't disappear. Especially since they can't give players a salary yet. The athletic department would go from relying on $3 million from the U general fund to giving millions to the general fund.

Ya let's give them the 3500-4000 stipend!... and then take away their scholarship. lol

Spurrier couldn't cut it as a coach in the pro league when the players were being paid and now he wants to pay the college players? Better rethink that Stevie.

Come to think of it he and his Heisman trophy couldn't cut it as a player in the pro league either. Maybe he wants to create his own little pro league so he can feel better about himself?

If you pay the players to play football, then do not have them go to class or receive a scholarship. Players should be there to get an education and playing sports is a means to that end, unfortunately that isn't the way it is anymore.

If you pay the players to play football, then do not have them go to class or receive a scholarship. Players should be there to get an education and playing sports is a means to that end, unfortunately that isn't the way it is anymore.

Should college sports(mostly FB and BB) move more towards the professional model, or should they revert back more towards the true amateur student athlete? I would prefer the latter.

time to get real here

and you

I agree completely, some of these kids are so poor they don't have any spending money, with the time commitment they can't get a part time job.

Baseball players, gymnasts, etc. are getting scholerships off the sweat and work of the Football, Basketball, and Hockey players. It seems they should be getting some sort of compensation for this.

Some thoughts...1) I don't think the players deserve a stipend because of how much the NCAA is earning, college sports is not a profit sharing endeavor. 2) I don't think any amount of money would take unscrupulous boosters/agents/under-the-table payments out of the game. They'd just pay on top of what everyone is already earning. 3) Many NCAA football/basketball players have no intention of ever graduating & shouldn't be admitted into a University in the first place. Their major is basketball or football. The "they should value their scholarship as payment" thing rings hollow to me in those cases. 4) Why not instead offer players who represent Minnesota's University the option of accepting the scholarship & they go to school, or $500 a week & we don't have to pretend they're going to school at all?

I'm not down with paying the players, but i would be up for compensation for travel to and from campus for players (3-4 times a year) and perhaps their families (once a year?). This would help bridge the geographic gap between players (Florida) and opportunities (Minnesota).

I agree completely, some of these kids are so poor they don't have any spending money

BS. They get plenty of "walking around" money, in addition to all the free food they can eat, all the free clothes they can wear, and 4-5 years of free education. If they don't like that deal, I'll trade any day of the week. I'll take all of the pampering and free necessities, and they can take over payments on my six-figure student loans.

+19

If they need spending money let them take a summer job.

My feelings too, 19.

Here is the ideal solution then. No more athletic scholarships. The athletes pay their way like everyone else does, and their job is playing sports for $3-$4 hundred per month for their year around job.

Should college sports(mostly FB and BB) move more towards the professional model, or should they revert back more towards the true amateur student athlete? I would prefer the latter.

I would rather watch a "worse" product in terms of skill and have it be true amateurs than pay the players like professionals and retain the current level of talent.

I would rather watch a "worse" product in terms of skill and have it be true amateurs than pay the players like professionals and retain the current level of talent.
It's called D3, check it out sometime.

It's called D3, check it out sometime.

These kids sign a contract. They get paid upwards of $50,000 a year (at some places, like Stanford, for example, it is a lot more) in the form of a free education, room, and board for their work. They gain access to schools that many of them, frankly, have no business attending academically because of their ability to play the sport. They have free access to tutoring that the average student must pay an arm and a leg for. The degree they earn will stay with them the rest of their lives and will open doors the vast majority of kids in the country can only dream of opening. If they really apply themselves, they can get an advanced degree as well, have even more job opportunities, and get paid even more coming out of college. Again, this is paid for by their athletic ability.

I don't buy it when people say these kids aren't paid.

These kids sign a contract. They get paid upwards of $50,000 a year (at some places, like Stanford, for example, it is a lot more) in the form of a free education, room, and board for their work. They gain access to schools that many of them, frankly, have no business attending academically because of their ability to play the sport. They have free access to tutoring that the average student must pay an arm and a leg for. The degree they earn will stay with them the rest of their lives and will open doors the vast majority of kids in the country can only dream of opening. If they really apply themselves, they can get an advanced degree as well, have even more job opportunities, and get paid even more coming out of college. Again, this is paid for by their athletic ability.

I don't buy it when people say these kids aren't paid.

And if they aren't there for the 'education' they still are in the best 'internship' to advance to the professional level of their sport.

Top Bottom