Steve Marik: "A lot of people don’t like PJ Fleck. I’m not one of those people. I respect the heck out of Fleck."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marik:

The Big Ten Conference has yet to come out with an official conference-only schedule for its football teams, and that got me thinking on a Husker level: which teams would Nebraska benefit by playing early to assure a strong start to this undoubtedly odd season that may or may not even happen?

Without further ado, let’s dive in and rank the West division opponents from easiest (1) to hardest (6).

5. Minnesota
A lot of people don’t like PJ Fleck. I’m not one of those people. I respect the heck out of Fleck and think his kids play hard for him.

We all watched that massacre last year as the snow fell in Minneapolis. Fleck and his Gophers ran the ball down the Huskers’ throat to the tune of 322 yards. With a fairly new front seven in 2020, will Nebraska do a better job stopping the run? I’m not convinced. Minnesota would be a rough game early for the Huskers.

Go Gophers!!

I feel like it’s pretty trendy to not like PJ fleck but actually most people don’t hate hit

He's polarizing, that's for sure. I think the vast majority in Minnesota have went from a split decision on PJ, to rowing the boat.

Like all polarizing people, a lot of people don't like him, but also a lot do.

I just don't know how people could dislike him...passionate, enthusiastic, charitable, family guy. He wears all that on his sleeve, so the only question would be do they dislike him as a football coach? In the beginning, skepticism was understandable, but now he's been putting up results. So what's there to hate about him?

The York News Times found a gem of a writer in Steve Marik! It won't be long before the big boys come calling!! Not a dink that's for sure!!!!

I don't understand why he would be polarizing for anyone other than our closest rivals.

People gave PJF a lot of crap because he's a big talker. It's easy for some people to hate on that, especially sports traditionalists who exalt quiet humility.

I think his rapid success and clean programs at both WMU and Minnesota should have quieted the "all hat no cattle" crowd by now.

Based upon the way we started last year I would be begging to play Minnesota in the first 3 games. However, if you are going based upon how you feel the team is than 5th or 6th is correct.

At the rate we were going I was simply hesitant when we hired Fleck. I would have felt the same on any coach we hired due to past history. Fleck has taken us to a whole new level that I appreciate.

The only reason some people do not like him is just a preference for personality. I like him for being true to himself and the vision.

per Marik:

The Big Ten Conference has yet to come out with an official conference-only schedule for its football teams, and that got me thinking on a Husker level: which teams would Nebraska benefit by playing early to assure a strong start to this undoubtedly odd season that may or may not even happen?

Without further ado, let’s dive in and rank the West division opponents from easiest (1) to hardest (6).

5. Minnesota
A lot of people don’t like PJ Fleck. I’m not one of those people. I respect the heck out of Fleck and think his kids play hard for him.

We all watched that massacre last year as the snow fell in Minneapolis. Fleck and his Gophers ran the ball down the Huskers’ throat to the tune of 322 yards. With a fairly new front seven in 2020, will Nebraska do a better job stopping the run? I’m not convinced. Minnesota would be a rough game early for the Huskers.

Go Gophers!!
And who is Marik...?

I personally know a few crotchety people that have disliked him from the beginning and said he is nothing but talk. They're too proud to admit they're ever wrong, so must double-down on the hate.
The biggest complaint from them - "Why does he have to run down the field after the quarter is over?...They should flag him for that." :rolleyes:
Only quiet grumbling when I ask them if they'd prefer to have Claeys back.

I've no idea what people's issue with PJ is.

Like he talks a lot?

So what? Is that bad?

Everything in sports is the same, talk, no talk..... it really doesn't matter. If you win you're a genius, if you lose whatever it is you do is bad.

The fact that someone talked a lot has nothing to do with anything ....

In the meantime what does PJ talk about? Positive stuff, all the time ... like man I don't want to live in some hole with someone who hates hearing that kind of thing....

The world could use a lot more of what PJ is talking about, even more this year.

The big talker / salesman thing is just fine, in of itself. If you can deliver, then you walk the walk. He certainly has, so far.

The only thing that gets me about him is his whole vocabulary/culture schtick. And plastering it all over everywhere. Even the uniforms.

But as has been rehashed over and over again, that is a small price to pay for winning, which I and everyone else will gladly pay.

I think the biggest difference about PJ is he isn't subtle. His culture is loud and proud and that is off putting to some.

You didn't hear nearly as many people have problems with "Brick by Brick", and that was everywhere are well. Brick pattern in the numbers, "Brick by Brick" merchandise, a "Brick by Brick" decal on the tunnel door, etc. but it was a lot more subtle.

I think the biggest difference about PJ is he isn't subtle. His culture is loud and proud and that is off putting to some.

You didn't hear nearly as many people have problems with "Brick by Brick", and that was everywhere are well. Brick pattern in the numbers, "Brick by Brick" merchandise, a "Brick by Brick" decal on the tunnel door, etc. but it was a lot more subtle.
Well that and "Brick by Brick" was the slogan for a ton of other teams ...

Well said. He coaches with all that he is. As long as he wins people will like him, the ones that do not are the people that always find something to complain about. When your as excited as he is it will put off some people.

I believe in Fleck. He is honest. Loves his players. Cares about the community. Seems grounded in his values. His energy, his cadence, his Fleckisms...drive some people crazy but not me. I told people Jerry Kill saved the program. Fleck elevated it to a level not seen in most Gopherholers lifetimes. I’d run through a wall for PJ. I tell my newborn son about the amazing games he attended (while my wife was pregnant with him)

We talk about the place going nuclear vs Penn State and how his mom had to sit down due to the noise. The win over Fresno where I woke up our entire building when AWjr showed up on my screen. Gameday and the snow vs wisconsin. When the Gophers beat AUBURN. None of those happen without Fleck.

Top Bottom