Steve Helwagen: B1G Recruiting: Big Two, Little 12?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the article:

A quick glance at national team recruiting rankings in recent years shows a decided trend where the Big Ten is concerned: Ohio State and Michigan have dominated the recruiting landscape.

And that’s not all: Schools from outside the Midwest have come into the region and plucked off some of its best talent, denying the rest of the Big Ten a chance to compete with those two superpowers.

And one more news flash: The Big Ten -- individually, collectively or any other way you want to measure it – has a long way to go to catch the SEC juggernaut that has produced seven consecutive national championship teams.

Are the years of the Big Two and the Little 12 right around the corner?

“I guess we’ll have to see,” said Minnesota coach Jerry Kill during the recent Big Ten media days. “Some teams select and some teams recruit. We have to recruit at our place right now.”

Kill said he and his staff focus on what they want or need for their schemes and also on players they can develop.

“In recruiting, we try to focus in on what’s the best fit, what our need is and the upside,” he said. “You look at the No. 1 draft choice this year, the offensive lineman from Central Michigan (Eric Fisher), I think he was a two-star recruit. There are so many players out there who play high school football.

“The thing about kids is from 17 to 19, they change so much. Some are done with their growth spurts. We have offensive linemen at Minnesota who come in and put on two inches and 40 or 50 pounds. I think kids change so much the recruiting process becomes difficult.”

http://247sports.com/Article/B1G-Recruiting-Big-Two-Little-12-141498

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom