Stating the obvious i guess

Doc1001

Reaction score
Even if Gray were a good passer he wouldnt have time with this offensive line. They arent bad run blocking but the protection isnt there. And the opposing quarter can leisurely look for receivers and we make every QB look like a Heisman candidate. So in summary--when you get beat on the line both offense and defense lines----you get hammered. Give our Qb more time and take away the opposing teams QB time and it would a very different story.

Doc, blocking for Gray in pass protection takes timing and switching from protection of a know spot to blocking for his escape. Last night and in the future I fear, the opponents will have the escape routes closed. We will see more nine in the box as well, as the opponents will dare Gray to complete a pass.

And on defense, the front four cannot get a consistent rush on the QB. Oh sure one player know and then will get free, but we have seen it opponent QB escape when we lose leverage on the perimeter. And the number of times I saw our defensive ends line up outside the tackle's shoulder angled to the QB and attempt a speed rush, only to be stopped cold by a quick step to the outside by the tackle. Our DE ends have no game. No outside rush, no inside, no up and under moves, no up and spin inside.
Our defensive tackles get no push, no crease, nowhere near the opponent QB. And the game becomes a seven on seven passing scrimage.

And we cannot stop the run with the front 7. It puts Royston in a heck of bind. He becomes a monster, rover, or the best rendition we can find to Tryone Carter. Sadly, there was only one of him. Sadly Doc, we have suffered from this since at least 1999. Some would say the malady has it beginings back in the mid 70's. Certainly the inability to stop anyone was in full view under Coach Salem. Wacker's teams again featured offense and no defense. The only year Coach Mason really contended was 1999 with David Gibbs, that lasted only a year. Gibbs was gone and Gordy Shaw moved from DL to OL.
I don't know of any treatment regime for no defense, but we have a text book case.

And Doc, could I be suffering from some form of machosism? I have been suffering now for about 35 years. I have tried withdrawl, liquor, and hard work but every Saturday in the fall I get it again and I keep comming back. Is there a drug for this?

I think the offensive line is getting a bit of a bad rap here. As it's been said HUNDREDS of times, they've been going against 8 and even 9 in the box entirely too often. This shouldn't be that hard of a concept to grasp.

Case in point:

Why were the Gophers able to run right down the field, running play after running play, when Shortell was under center? Because the defense actually repsected his ability to throw and they were not stacking 8 in the box; they were playing more straight up.

Totally agree though, the defense, particularly the front 7, has been a majority of the problem through 4 games. Unfortunately I don't see it getting much better as they hit BT play.

Top Bottom