Statement from Minnesota Head Men's Basketball Coach Richard Pitino

GopherLady

Reaction score
From the U of MN:

"I am deeply disappointed with the recent allegations and the impact this situation has on all involved. Reggie Lynch will remain suspended from our team, pending the conclusion of the ongoing investigation."

For those of you not following as closely, this came out today: Gophers player Reggie Lynch released from jail; investigation to continue

University of Minnesota basketball player Reggie Lynch was released from jail at noon Tuesday, with the Hennepin County attorney’s office deferring a charging decision pending further investigation.

The 21-year-old Lynch, an Edina native and Gophers center, was arrested Sunday by university police and was held at Hennepin County jail on probable cause for criminal sexual conduct. At noon Tuesday, the 36-hour holding period expired, but investigators could still pursue a case against Lynch and charge him at a later date.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rom-jail-investigation-to-continue/378829831/

From the U of MN:

"I am deeply disappointed with the recent allegations and the impact this situation has on all involved. Reggie Lynch will remain suspended from our team, pending the conclusion of the ongoing investigation."

For those of you not following as closely, this came out today: Gophers player Reggie Lynch released from jail; investigation to continue

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rom-jail-investigation-to-continue/378829831/
So Pitino has pronounced him guilty? I love this respect for the 'Rule of Law'. Or maybe Pitino is deeply disappointed in a new headache that he has. That makes more sense to me. But then state so. If he is guilty fine, but don't throw him to the lions pit until he is.

Where did he pronounce anyone guilty? You seem to be reading into his statement something that he never said.
Mbakwe went through the same thing when he was accused.

So Pitino has pronounced him guilty? I love this respect for the 'Rule of Law'. Or maybe Pitino is deeply disappointed in a new headache that he has. That makes more sense to me. But then state so. If he is guilty fine, but don't throw him to the lions pit until he is.

He's dissapointed in the allegations.

Whats wrong with that?

Where did he pronounce anyone guilty? You seem to be reading into his statement something that he never said.
Mbakwe went through the same thing when he was accused.
Agreed he didn't pronounce him guilty in the first sentence, though a quick read may make a reader feel that way. My trouble is, if the first sentence is not aimed at his 'guilt' the second sentence is also not aimed at any possible innocence. The second sentence besides a different issue how student athletes are suspended before due cause, does not speak to any consideration of innocence or support. If he is guilty, he is guilty. But if he is not, why would you ever again feel welcome on this team?

Slow down buddy. All he said is that the player is suspended while the investigation continues. Pitino has not thrown anyone to the lions. In the current state of heightened sensitivity, it is totally understandable that Pitino is going to caution on the side of no tolerance. You can bet Pitino doesn't hold any punches when he talked to Lynch!

Slow down buddy. All he said is that the player is suspended while the investigation continues. Pitino has not thrown anyone to the lions. In the current state of heightened sensitivity, it is totally understandable that Pitino is going to caution on the side of no tolerance. You can bet Pitino doesn't hold any punches when he talked to Lynch!
Understand what you say but where is any support for the athlete in his statement? Again if he is guilty, fine. But until, he deserves some support.

Agreed he didn't pronounce him guilty in the first sentence, though a quick read may make a reader feel that way. My trouble is, if the first sentence is not aimed at his 'guilt' the second sentence is also not aimed at any possible innocence. The second sentence besides a different issue how student athletes are suspended before due cause, does not speak to any consideration of innocence or support. If he is guilty, he is guilty. But if he is not, why would you ever again feel welcome on this team?

You are confusing legal rights with privileges. Playing for the Gophers is a privilege that can be taken away at anytime by the coach. All of the players know this up front. Conduct that reflects poorly upon the team can get a player kicked off the team. There is no such innocent until proven guilty in these situations.

This is probably a dumb question - but is the police report public that we can read? I remember DaQuein McNeil's was...was that because he was charged? I feel like a legal degree would come in handy as a Gophers fan...

You are confusing legal rights with privileges. Playing for the Gophers is a privilege that can be taken away at anytime by the coach. All of the players know this up front. Conduct that reflects poorly upon the team can get a player kicked off the team. There is no such innocent until proven guilty in these situations.

Ok I understand what you are saying. But let us say that he has been taken advantage of by a revengeful person and I am only hypothetically speaking. So doing nothing wrong can reflect poorly on the team and get him kicked off the team?

Pitino's comment is crafted in a way that does not paint the U as ignoring the possible plight of a young woman who may have been abused, yet gives Lynch every chance to prove himself innocent before the U pronounces judgment.
I'll guarantee the Universities legal and marketing team wrote the statement.

Pitino's comment is crafted in a way that does not paint the U as ignoring the possible plight of a young woman who may have been abused, yet gives Lynch every chance to prove himself innocent before the U pronounces judgment.
I'll guarantee the Universities legal and marketing team wrote the statement.
As Gregory Peck once said in 12 oclock high, "I'm chopping wood and no chips are flying." I agree somewhat with your thinking , the plight of a young woman, but I don't read into his statement his 'ability to prove himself innocent.' Or at least show some support. Again I am not taking sides, if he hurt someone he deserves anything he gets. But if he didn't some support is appropriate.

I don't see how Coach Pitino has pronounced Lynch guilty. He simply said that Lynch is suspended until the pending investigation has been completed. I believe that is what University policy requires, unless there are extenuating circumstances justifying a lifting of the automatic suspension. As for his being disappointed that these allegations have been made, I can't imagine any Gophers fan not agreeing with that statement.

You interpreted that very differently than I did. I think he's just disappointed in the situation. Pitino should be disappointed regardless of whether Lynch is innocent or guilty.

Ok I understand what you are saying. But let us say that he has been taken advantage of by a revengeful person and I am only hypothetically speaking. So doing nothing wrong can reflect poorly on the team and get him kicked off the team?

What do you want him to say?

"I know Reggie is innocent - he's still a member of this team and once the truth comes out that girl will be proven a liar."

What do you want him to say?

"I know Reggie is innocent - he's still a member of this team and once the truth comes out that girl will be proven a liar."

Lol! Who do you think Pitino is? Donald Trump?

This is probably a dumb question - but is the police report public that we can read? I remember DaQuein McNeil's was...was that because he was charged? I feel like a legal degree would come in handy as a Gophers fan...

Police reports are not part of the public record. Police can release them and they often do. Police reports can become part of the public record if they are used in court (court records are public).

Lynch's wouldn't be available, especially now. They haven't brought charges yet and they are still (hopefully) gathering evidence. They wouldn't want to taint any of that potential evidence by releasing a police report. If it becomes public right now, somebody leaked it to the media.

Police reports are not part of the public record. Police can release them and they often do. Police reports can become part of the public record if they are used in court (court records are public).

Lynch's wouldn't be available, especially now. They haven't brought charges yet and they are still (hopefully) gathering evidence. They wouldn't want to taint any of that potential evidence by releasing a police report. If it becomes public right now, somebody leaked it to the media.

For what it's worth, on the UMPD's Daily Crime Log the report is listed as incident number UM 16-163374 (dated 5/7/2330). Disposition is listed as LAPP (and no I have no idea what that means).

https://police.umn.edu/home/dailycrimelog

I'm guessing the outrage would have been far worse had they reinstated him.

And as Gopher AD!

If you follow high school or college sports, it is how it is handled every time. Life ain't always fair, if somebody is innocent. alchemy2u makes other quality points in posts #6 and #8

Top Bottom