State of MN Football Recruiting and Big 10

I don't think it's totally unknown that Minnesota is not a football hotbed, even among peers.

However, I think the interesting data lies in how the state populations are shifting (latest data from April 2010 to July 2011): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_population_growth_rate

Maryland: +0.95% (DC +2.07%, Virginia +1.19%)
Nebraska: +0.89%
Minnesota: +0.77%
Iowa: +0.52%
Indiana: +0.51%
Wisconsin: +0.44%
New Jersey: +0.33%
Pennsylvania: +0.32%
Illinois: +0.30%
Ohio: +0.07%
Michigan: -0.08%

If these are real - that is, if the trends continue - there will be more opportunities, relative to today, for the states at the top (Maryland, Nebraska, Minnesota) to produce football talent than the states at the bottom (Ohio, Michigan). Whether that comes to fruition will take a long time to play out - 20+ years - but it certainly could shift the recruiting hotbeds in the Big Ten footprint somewhat.

Hockey plays a role in it and probably a big role. I always find it interesting when people get mad about public money for private team stadiums. However, turn around and look at all the public money spent on Ice Arenas that municipalities build and subsidize at huge levels for 300 or less kids.

Culture of Hockey

Very true. Braemer Arena in Edina is being expanded for over $3.65M (80% funded by the City). Several years ago, there was a big State of MN initiative to build or upgrade rinks throughout the state. I haven't heard of a similar push for expanded athletic fields. I think this speaks to the culture of hockey that is bred into many MN residents.

I know for a fact that the U of M suffers in the enthusiasm category across the state because of the rise of Division-I hockey programs in the state. It is hard for a Duluthers, Mankatoans, St. Cloudites, and Bemidjians to be a fan of the overall U of M when you have been screaming profanities at them throughout the hockey season. The D-I status in hockey has helped to erode the school spirit at the U in other sports.

Top Bottom