State fair park and ride August 29th

Ols

Reaction score
What is going to be the situation with the state fair going on at the St.. Paul lot? Are they going keep a section for tailgating or is it just a free for all?

From what I understand, The U owns the St. Paul lot and it will be available for tailgators and parking for the football game only. I assume to get to it we'll probably have to drive through the St. Paul campus. I hope somebody or the U provides a little more information on this situation.

From what I understand, The U owns the St. Paul lot and it will be available for tailgators and parking for the football game only. I assume to get to it we'll probably have to drive through the St. Paul campus. I hope somebody or the U provides a little more information on this situation.

Lot 108 will function as on any football game day. If you have a pass, you can park there, if you don't, $10 for cars/$40 for RVs. The parking website is current, and the guy who answered at Parking and Transportation Services said "Lot 108 will function as on any football game day". So I assume that Lot 108 will function as on any football game day.

It will be filled with State Fair attendees by 1:30.

Will they reserve enough spaces for the parking passes? Hopefully together?

You're right. The State Fair controlled lots charge $12 so $10 would be a deal. However, it won't be as bad as the bus fiasco after the Air Force game and hopefully by next year they'll adjust accordingly. I park in the St. Paul lot and am not worried as people will figure it out. Whatever inconvenience this creates it is greatly outweighed by the advantages of having a Thursday night home opener during the Fair.

Go Gophers!

I can't quote Eagan because he's on the list.

You don't understand. Lot 108 will be for football parking only on August 29. At the very least it will not open until noon.

"Lot 108 will function as on any football game day". On football game days the lot is not open early in the morning unless there's a 11 o'clock game.

"While space is available. Open 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 a.m."

The U owns the lot, not the Fair. The old "no football on Labor Day weekend" contract with the Fair expired. Lot 108 will function as on any football game day. There will be no added inconvenience for football fans or tailgaters.

---sigh---

I can't quote Eagan because he's on the list.

You don't understand. Lot 108 will be for football parking only on August 29. At the very least it will not open until noon.

"Lot 108 will function as on any football game day". On football game days the lot is not open early in the morning unless there's a 11 o'clock game.

"While space is available. Open 6 hours before game time, but no earlier than 7 a.m."

The U owns the lot, not the Fair. The old "no football on Labor Day weekend" contract with the Fair expired. Lot 108 will function as on any football game day. There will be no added inconvenience for football fans or tailgaters.

---sigh---
The problem is that there's no way to enforce it being for football parking only. That's the lot that the U sends people to for single game parking. I hate the Fair with every fiber of my being, but thousands of people love it. If you're going to the fair and want to park close to the grandstand, it's available for $10. They could ask every car: "Are you here for the fair or for football?", but I don't see that being a realistic option. Whenever the lots open up, it's first come, first served in that lot. I just hope people that have passes don't get turned away.

Good point.....there will be no room for tailgating...and maybe not Gopher parking. That lot is always full by midday during the fair.

The problem is that there's no way to enforce it being for football parking only. That's the lot that the U sends people to for single game parking. I hate the Fair with every fiber of my being, but thousands of people love it. If you're going to the fair and want to park close to the grandstand, it's available for $10. They could ask every car: "Are you here for the fair or for football?", but I don't see that being a realistic option. Whenever the lots open up, it's first come, first served in that lot. I just hope people that have passes don't get turned away.

I'll make it easy for you. Show your tickets to get in or buy them on the spot. Otherwise, tough sh!t.

Isn't it a little weird that we're upset about a parking lot 3 miles from the stadium?

I will be attending both the fair and the game that day. Was really hoping to park here early in the morning so we wouldn't have to move the car when we are ready to head over to the stadium. From one response here, it doesn't sound like this will be an option. Either way, looking forward to the start of the season and getting my wife to her first Gopher football game!

Isn't it a little weird that we're upset about a parking lot 3 miles from the stadium?

1. No.

2. It's actually closer to 4 miles, but I'm not sure what distance has to do with anything.

I just got my tickets about 10 minutes ago and looking through the Game Day Guide that came with the tickets I noticed that in the list of parking options on page 7 there is this note "note that due to the state fair lot S108 is unavailable for the Thursday, August 29 game"

So... anybody know what gives?

1. No.

2. It's actually closer to 4 miles, but I'm not sure what distance has to do with anything.
It's 3 miles via the shuttle bus route, and distance has everything to do with parking. How many parking spaces could be used much closer to the stadium if Minneapolis had the same rules as St. Paul does with the fair?

Not when many of us season ticket holders have passes there. I don't know, I sure want to make sure I have a spot I already paid for before I pack up my tailgating gear and get turned away because they let too many fairgoers in there. But the fact it's 3 (or 4) miles away must magically change that...

It's 3 miles via the shuttle bus route

Fair enough.

distance has everything to do with parking

Yes, but it has absolutely zero to do with whether or not a lot belongs to the U and whether or not someone is able to park there.

How many parking spaces could be used much closer to the stadium if Minneapolis had the same rules as St. Paul does with the fair?

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

I just got my tickets about 10 minutes ago and looking through the Game Day Guide that came with the tickets I noticed that in the list of parking options on page 7 there is this note "note that due to the state fair lot S108 is unavailable for the Thursday, August 29 game"

Page 3 also says "No parking available at the State Fairgrounds. There will not be a shuttle from the Fairgrounds."

Page 3 also says "Lot S108 passholders will be issued passes to park in the Washington Avenue Ramp."

Ok so this will be my first game not at the Fairgrounds lot where can I get day of game parking and still tailgate, preferably someplace with a good pregame atmosphere?

Ok so this will be my first game not at the Fairgrounds lot where can I get day of game parking and still tailgate, preferably someplace with a good pregame atmosphere?

East River Flats. $10, awesome location on the river. The walk is about 1 mile. It is usually laid back, but there might be more people since the the U stabbed fans who park at the Fairgrounds. in the back.

Apparently, I was lied to. Good luck guys!

Apparently, I was lied to. Good luck guys!

I question whether there were some last minute negotiations with the Fair paying way more money for the lot or saying they'd close off the road stopping people from going there or something. Or if the U realized that since day of game parking price was cheaper than what the Fair was charging that they'd have a heck of a time keeping enough spaces open for actual fans. Not to mention trying to move all the busses through that area. Regardless, I believe this was a last minute thing because the U has said that lot would be open for the game for quite a while now until out of the blue we got an e-mail saying it wasn't the case.

I park at the Fairgrounds. Called the ticket office two weeks ago to inquire about additional tickets and asked what the arrangements were for parking at the Fairgrounds on game day. The guy I spoke with didn't know the answer but followed up within a couple of hours with this response:

Great speaking with you today and following is the info we discussed. First, home opener v. UNLV parking will actually be in the Washington Avenue Ramp and it will say this on your season pkg pass. Unfortunately this kind of hurts your tailgate option although I do not think the U can deal with the chaos that is the state fair for that specific game

For those who are not familiar with the FG lot, it is basically divided by a fence that has openings to drive or walk through. The "front" West portion of the lot would likely accomodate at least those of us who purchase passes in advance. What's so difficult about securing that lot and only allowing pre purchased football passes into the lot? Can't be that many vehicles cars can it? The U owns this lot correct? I don't get it. I took the hlaf day from work to tailgate. I may toss my Washington Street Ramp pass and pay $10 for the flats.

Top Bottom