Startribune: Plenty of good seats available: Gophers' bowl ticket sales lagging

Wow! It looks to me that the headline doesn't really match the flavor of the actual article. Anything for readers... I guess.

Wow! It looks to me that the headline doesn't really match the flavor of the actual article. Anything for readers... I guess.

Another reason to distrust any internet headline.

The actual paper's headline is accurate: Plenty of good seats available: Bowl ticket sales are lagging They are but as you noted so are they for virtually ALL Bowl Game. The header in the Page 7 continuation :U not only Big Ten team with lagging sales is far more accurate.

What are you going do? Negativity ALWAYS sales. Here it's almost the media motto.

Here's the ESPN Big Ten Blog take:

Just Joe from Chicago writes: Just curious if what appears to be a downturn in Big Ten bowl ticket sales is part of a national trend? Just seems with a growing (and more trustworthy) secondary market, people are more steadily going to look for deals on tickets than go with their school's allotment, which are often the worst seats in the stadium. Thoughts?

Brian Bennett: Joe, it does appear to be a trend, as attendance at bowl games declined throughout the nation last year. You can blame a number of factors, including the glut of bowl games, the economy, the secondary ticket market, home entertainment systems, etc. I do think there are some special factors going on with the Big Ten this year, as Ohio State and Penn State likely would have been eager to travel to watch their teams, the league's Rose Bowl team is 8-5 and has been there the past two years, Nebraska and Michigan State fans are disappointed and Purdue fired its coach.

But to a larger point, these ticket allotments that bowls force upon teams are horrendously bad business deals for the schools. Fans are smart enough to find cheaper and often better seats, and the schools often end up eating the cost of thousands of tickets. It's basically like paying for the "privilege" of going to a minor bowl game to help boost tourism from some town that has no connection to the campus. Sure, makes perfect sense. I really wonder whether bowls will still be able to draw eyeballs and crowds once the four-team playoff begins. Then, more than ever, every other game will feel like the NIT.

Yes, and this is not a uniquely Big Ten issue.

Toledo has only sold 300 tickets to their bowl game (source: http://www.toledoblade.com/UT/2012/...t-sales-not-concerning-to-Toledo-Rockets.html), while Nevada and Arizona have combined to sell just 2,000 tickets (source: http://www.krqe.com/dpp/sports/small-crowd-expected-at-new-mexico-bowl).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Bennett. The ticket allotments forced upon schools are bad deals, given that the secondary market offers way better options (in price and location).

Minnesota has around 7,000 transplants living in the Houston/Galveston area. I bought my tickets through the University. Think about it, if you're living in the area are you going to order your to tickets through the U, or will you wait till the 11th hour and pickup your 75.00 dollar tickets for half that price on Stub Hub, or cheap tickets.com? Case in point. We've relatives in Houston who are joining us for the game. We purchased the 30 yd line tickets from the U. I asked them if they wanted me to do the same for them and they said they would go on line to find seats. It is what it is.

Based on the reader comments and empty seats we all see at many bowls, I think we have to conclude that the bowl market is saturated -- especially in this economy. Despite the belief that a rising tide raises all ships, there is a limit to how many attractions can be sustained.

Minnesota has around 7,000 transplants living in the Houston/Galveston area. I bought my tickets through the University. Think about it, if you're living in the area are you going to order your to tickets through the U, or will you wait till the 11th hour and pickup your 75.00 dollar tickets for half that price on Stub Hub, or cheap tickets.com? Case in point. We've relatives in Houston who are joining us for the game. We purchased the 30 yd line tickets from the U. I asked them if they wanted me to do the same for them and they said they would go on line to find seats. It is what it is.

I know it benefits the U and all, but I can't blame them. I bought the 75 dollar tickets and got put in an upper row on the goal line. StubHub had seats for $65 7 rows up between the 45 and 50 yard line.

This is just what happens when you have too many bowl games and a weak economy.

I know it benefits the U and all, but I can't blame them. I bought the 75 dollar tickets and got put in an upper row on the goal line. StubHub had seats for $65 7 rows up between the 45 and 50 yard line.

Huh. I paid $75 through the AD and got 45 yard line. Go figure.

nice. we are right around the 40 yard line. looking forward to heading down to houston. beautiful city. get to watch our gophers take on texas tech. should be a great time for minnesota fans.

go gophers! ski-u-mah!

When did you find out. I ordered a couple.

Pardon me. 35 yard line. Gopher fans that buy their $75 tickets from the AD will be in section 105 or 108:

reliant-stadium-seating-chart-image-2407.gif

They should bag the allotments. The seats are overpriced and absolutely suck. I walked into the Outback bowl six years ago with two allotment tickets in my pocket because I found some tickets on Stub Hub on the thirty yard line for half the price.

They can use the ordering zip code as a proxy to measure school commitment and share the info with each other. Let the U buy an allotment at a discount and assist in the marketing with a little profit in it for the school, but don't force any tickets on them.

They should bag the allotments. The seats are overpriced and absolutely suck. I walked into the Outback bowl six years ago with two allotment tickets in my pocket because I found some tickets on Stub Hub on the thirty yard line for half the price.

They can use the ordering zip code as a proxy to measure school commitment and share the info with each other. Let the U buy an allotment at a discount and assist in the marketing with a little profit in it for the school, but don't force any tickets on them.
It's essentially a pyramid scheme. If you get rid of the ticket allotment, the entire thing falls apart.

What the Strib article fails to note is that without the league subsidies, half of these bowls wouldn't even exist, meaning that the U still wouldn't be on the hook.

I don't think the casual fan is aware/knows the difference between buying through the U vs buying from another source.

Nice job! If we get over 3,000 I think we will have done well.

We can't go but we bought a couple of $25 tickets anyway. They're up top to be sure but they're on the 50 yard line. The could take a lot of things into account, years with tickets, donations, tickets bought. Who knows.

Gopher in Pitt: somebody must really dislike you over there! ;)

I got my $75/tix today and couldn't be more disappointed. I regret buying them through the U tix office. I thought I was doing a good thing but the B/C wasn't worth it in the end. Go to Houston TX Craigslist and get much better and cheaper tix.

I got my $75/tix today and couldn't be more disappointed. I regret buying them through the U tix office. I thought I was doing a good thing but the B/C wasn't worth it in the end. Go to Houston TX Craigslist and get much better and cheaper tix.

Not worth it? It gave you a chance to whine about it on Gopherhole. Was probably worth it.

Me too. Was not too pleased with my seat location given what I paid for the tickets. I'm not 2499 in line and not everyone bought the $75 ticket level either. There's no excuse for my tickets to be so far away from midfield and so fare up on the lower level given how many tickets have actually been sold.

@DarrenWolfson: As of 8 a.m. yesterday, the #Gophers have sold 2,500 tickets for their bowl game. They are responsible for 12,000.

Go Gophers!!

Me too. Was not too pleased with my seat location given what I paid for the tickets. I'm not 2499 in line and not everyone bought the $75 ticket level either. There's no excuse for my tickets to be so far away from midfield and so fare up on the lower level given how many tickets have actually been sold.

That is extremely odd. Why would the university be given such awful seats to sell? Especially at these prices. Pretty crumby that you can get far better seats locally at a third of the price.

Top Bottom