Starting PG next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CentralGopher

Reaction score
Who is it? Is it Mav? Someone else? I know a lot of people on this board are not high on Mav and don't think he is B10 caliber and shouldn't be playing in the B10 at all. At this point I don't have any kind of analysis on him at all. Why isn't he B10 material? He is a true freshman and is from what I have seen playing like it. What I have seen so far are the typical freshman mistakes by him. I recall Rico Tucker being pretty bad when he was a freshman and sophmore as well(not saying he was B10 material either). I would love it if we had someone better than Mav next year and he could be the backup but was wondering why some people think he can play in this league. Isn't it a little early to put a grade on him when he has been thrown into playing so much as a true freshman?

Mav is good enough to play in the Big Ten, but he's not starting B1G material IMO. If he gets his 5-10 minutes spot work, he's just fine IMO. I believe we will end up starting a JUCO guard (Welch) at point, with Andre Hollins playing backup to both guards as I think Austin Hollins will get the start at the 2. Chip will also be in the mix as part of a 4 guard rotation. Mav, I'm guessing won't see much more time than he has this year.

Again, this is pure speculation on my part, I have no insight into how Tubby views any of these players going into next year.

Coleman will get more minutes than mentioned. I think they rotation will be more of the two Hollins, Welch and Coleman, with Mav and Chip smaller roles than the others. It will be much quicker and athletic than we are currently laying at the guard position.

I guess I saw Coleman more as a 3, but yeah, he'll be in the mix for PT wherever he ends up playing.

Why is everyone talking about Welch like we are the only team interested and he's ours? I hope so.

Mav is/isn't a true 'traditional' freshman. He played his senior year of HS at Golden Valley CA and was a 5th year senior at Stoneridge Prep last year. I expect a 5th year prep player to be more ready to contribute than what we've seen from him.

Welch

My guess included Welch because Tubby has a good record of getting folks who visit. He does not get them all but gets a high percentage. Welch is scheduled to visit this weekend.

:)

haha yeah i love how everyone already has banked on welch coming here....im sure there's other offers

b_stud

haha yeah i love how everyone already has banked on welch coming here....im sure there's other offers

From the previously provided link:

Welch said Minnesota is his top choice, and he's not discouraged that the Gophers (17-10, 6-9 Big Ten) put their NCAA tournament hopes in jeopardy with their sixth loss in seven games Tuesday against Michigan State.

"I hope they make the tournament," said Welch, the Big West Conference freshman of the year in 2009-10 before transferring to Yuba College. "But it's not a huge factor."

Per Yahoo he has offers from Tubby, UNLV, and Kent State.

Tubby is not going to start a freshman. Period.

This is why I posted the thread. Usually freshman don't get the start much less a bunch of minutes with Tubby. It could happen if Hollins is that good but usually is not the case. At this point I don't see any reason that Mav could not develop into a much better pg than he currently is. Other than better players in front of him I don't see why he could not be our starter next year but from what I have gathered on this site some posters would rather see him stay on the bench the entire game.

This is why I posted the thread. Usually freshman don't get the start much less a bunch of minutes with Tubby. It could happen if Hollins is that good but usually is not the case.

Fantastic sales pitch for recruiting the kinds of kids that are needed to make use better than a middle of the road Big Ten team.

Tubby is not going to start a freshman. Period.

Freshmen who have started games under Tubby the last four years:

Al Nolen, Blake Hoffarber, Devoe Joseph, Ralph Sampson, Colton Iverson, Rodney Williams, Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins. And I feel pretty confident in saying that Royce White would have undoubtedly found his way into the starting lineup at some point based off some of those reports during practices. Tubby will and has started plenty of freshmen over these few years. If Andre Hollins comes in here and produces, he will get an opportunity to start, no question about it.

But as I said, I think the JUCO pickup ends up starting with Andre getting plenty of burn, however. I just wanted to point out that it's not true that Tubby won't start freshmen.

Freshmen who have started games under Tubby the last four years:

Al Nolen, Blake Hoffarber, Devoe Joseph, Ralph Sampson, Colton Iverson, Rodney Williams, Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins. And I feel pretty confident in saying that Royce White would have undoubtedly found his way into the starting lineup at some point based off some of those reports during practices. Tubby will and has started plenty of freshmen over these few years. If Andre Hollins comes in here and produces, he will get an opportunity to start, no question about it.

But as I said, I think the JUCO pickup ends up starting with Andre getting plenty of burn, however. I just wanted to point out that it's not true that Tubby won't start freshmen.

It's not near as hard to start for Tubby as a big man as it is to start as a guard. With Nolen he had little choice but to play him but he started 6 times. Joseph didn't start much (6 starts) nor did Hoff (4 starts) or Maverick or Hollins. If you look at how the ball line defense is played most of the learning curve is for the guards who have to cover large stretches of the court.

As someone aptly stated on the Hole today, you could be able to score 50 a game but you better be able to play Tubby defense or you are riding the pine.

This is why I posted the thread. Usually freshman don't get the start much less a bunch of minutes with Tubby. It could happen if Hollins is that good but usually is not the case. At this point I don't see any reason that Mav could not develop into a much better pg than he currently is. Other than better players in front of him I don't see why he could not be our starter next year but from what I have gathered on this site some posters would rather see him stay on the bench the entire game.

Tubby started freshmen at Tulsa in 1992-93-94. At Georgia in 1997. At UK in 1999-2000-01-02-05-07. AND At Minnesota in 2009-10-11.

He's had dozens of freshmen average 20+ minutes in his coaching career.

Do some research before posting inaccuracies like that. If you hate Tubby, fine. You're entitled to that opinion.

But get off your butt and do some research first.

It's not near as hard to start for Tubby as a big man as it is to start as a guard. With Nolen he had little choice but to play him but he started 6 times. Joseph didn't start much (6 starts) nor did Hoff (4 starts) or Maverick or Hollins. If you look at how the ball line defense is played most of the learning curve is for the guards who have to cover large stretches of the court.

As someone aptly stated on the Hole today, you could be able to score 50 a game but you better be able to play Tubby defense or you are riding the pine.

I'm just saying, if those guys could get starts as freshmen, Hollins can easily get an opportunity. I think he's easily the best guard Tubby has recruited here, if he produces like his abilities indicate he possibly could, I don't think Tubby will hesitate to give him time out there unless his defense is just plain brutal, which I'm not sure will be the case, he seems like a pretty bright kid who could pick up on stuff quickly.

Plus, starting doesn't really mean a whole lot anyway, Austin Hollins doesn't start, but he's on the floor late in games virtually every game. He plays starter type minutes. That's what I anticipate will happen with Andre Hollins when he gets here if he's really as good as advertised.

Tubby started freshmen at Tulsa in 1992-93-94. At Georgia in 1997. At UK in 1999-2000-01-02-05-07. AND At Minnesota in 2009-10-11.

He's had dozens of freshmen average 20+ minutes in his coaching career.

Do some research before posting inaccuracies like that. If you hate Tubby, fine. You're entitled to that opinion.

But get off your butt and do some research first.

I appreciate you correcting my inaccurate observation that Tubby would much rather start an upper classmen over a freshman given the choice. I don't see how my statement makes it sound like I hate Tubby though. If you want proof go back and look at some of my previous posts. To quote you, do your research first. I am less interested in how many freshman started for Tubby than I am in knowing why some posters seem to think Mav would be nothing more than a backup at best. It seems to be pure speculation that Hollins will come in and be immediately better than Mav next year. Don't you think Mav will be any better after a year playing for Tubby or in 2 or 3 years? I'm just curious to know why some posters seem to be so down on Mav this early in his career.

It's more a matter of people being high on Hollins than down on Mav. Mav is better than I was expecting when we signed him, but he is just simply not as talented as Hollins is.

I appreciate you correcting my inaccurate observation that Tubby would much rather start an upper classmen over a freshman given the choice. I don't see how my statement makes it sound like I hate Tubby though. If you want proof go back and look at some of my previous posts. To quote you, do your research first. I am less interested in how many freshman started for Tubby than I am in knowing why some posters seem to think Mav would be nothing more than a backup at best. It seems to be pure speculation that Hollins will come in and be immediately better than Mav next year. Don't you think Mav will be any better after a year playing for Tubby or in 2 or 3 years? I'm just curious to know why some posters seem to be so down on Mav this early in his career.

Here's the thing about Maverick. I think he's a guy we should really like because he's a kid who is making the most of his ability. He does the fundamental stuff. He had a beautiful shot fake and then pull up banker in the Michigan game. Just a great basketball play. The problem is that he really lacks speed for his size and position and I think most people can see it's going to be hard for him to be an impact point guard in the Big Ten with that speed and size package. I have to believe that Tubby loves him because he shows other players what they could do with the raw ability they have. He'd be a good bench guy to have around but not a starter in the Big Ten. I'd bet on this kid to be successful in life.

I'm just saying, if those guys could get starts as freshmen, Hollins can easily get an opportunity. I think he's easily the best guard Tubby has recruited here, if he produces like his abilities indicate he possibly could, I don't think Tubby will hesitate to give him time out there unless his defense is just plain brutal, which I'm not sure will be the case, he seems like a pretty bright kid who could pick up on stuff quickly.

Plus, starting doesn't really mean a whole lot anyway, Austin Hollins doesn't start, but he's on the floor late in games virtually every game. He plays starter type minutes. That's what I anticipate will happen with Andre Hollins when he gets here if he's really as good as advertised.

I think Hollins will start- I sure hope so. It's rare with Tubby but this kid is crucial to us next year.

I think Hollins will start- I sure hope so. It's rare with Tubby but this kid is crucial to us next year.

Just out of curiosity. Who has actually seen Hollins play one minute of basketball? Who has seen him on the AAU circuit? My guess is 99% of the people who post on this board have seen his Youtube and highlight videos his scoring in Tn and assume he's the answer. This comment and the associated "hope" is another example of completely unreasonable expectations.

I will give you an example. Everyone on this board thought Zach Lofton didn't deserve a look (me included) because of comments based on seeing him play. Yet a kid from Tn who nobody has seen is going to start for the Gophers next year? Bet there is a board somewhere praying they get Lofton for the exact same reasons we think Hollins is the answer......because they haven't seen him play enough.

Ridiculous conjecture.

Just out of curiosity. Who has actually seen Hollins play one minute of basketball? Who has seen him on the AAU circuit? My guess is 99% of the people who post on this board have seen his Youtube and highlight videos his scoring in Tn and assume he's the answer. This comment and the associated "hope" is another example of completely unreasonable expectations.

I will give you an example. Everyone on this board thought Zach Lofton didn't deserve a look (me included) because of comments based on seeing him play. Yet a kid from Tn who nobody has seen is going to start for the Gophers next year? Bet there is a board somewhere praying they get Lofton for the exact same reasons we think Hollins is the answer......because they haven't seen him play enough.

Ridiculous conjecture.

We have seen who we do have now. That's not conjecture.

Without ANY doubt, Andre Hollins is > Maverick Ahanmisi. Right now.

I see Maverick as a taller version of Brandon Stockton. Look him up at www.bigbluehistory.net

Ridiculous conjecture.

according to some posters areound here this in fact does make you qualified to such ridiculous conjecture.

I've never seen Andre play, I am solely HOPING that he can step in and be able to convert to PG. I would have to say, though, that the few Youtube videos I've watched seem to solidify that he will be a better option than Maverick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom