Starting OL vs Michigan?

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score

Sean Williams of the Gopher Report, being interviewed by the Wolverine, gives his version of the Gophers’ starting line-up. The surprise to me is true freshman Aireontae Ersery (6’6” 320) starting at RT in Faalele’s spot. Also has Ruschmeyer starting at RG, in Dunlap’s spot. This means Olson at C and JMS on the bench, at least at the start. Interesting take. No idea if this is an informed view or just a wild-assed guess.

I remember some film showing how athletic Ersery is. Can’t possibly be an improvement over Big Dan on run blocking, but is extremely quick and agile for a big man. Might actually be a bit better at pass blocking against a speed rush? Maybe William’s call is BS and Andries shows up at RT.

Sean Williams of the Gopher Report, being interviewed by the Wolverine, gives his version of the Gophers’ starting line-up. The surprise to me is true freshman Aireontae Ersery (6’6” 320) starting at RT in Faalele’s spot. Also has Ruschmeyer starting at RG, in Dunlap’s spot. This means Olson at C and JMS on the bench, at least at the start. Interesting take. No idea if this is an informed view or just a wild-assed guess.

Has to be some kind of guess. No way a true freshman is in a better spot than JMS.

Also, if us Gopher diehards don't know sh*t, there is no way some Michigan fanboy does.

No way he starts over Andries at RT, if Faalele is out. If it were somehow true, then there's zero chance that Olson and Andries wouldn't be Guards with JMS center.

This is a wild guess, by someone who doesn't have a clue about our OL.

Hey let Harbaugh think this is true. Nothing to see here.

If no Faalele = my confidence for the game takes a massive hit

So you think they are in a better spot with 4 new O-lineman and a brand new QB vs. us having the majority of our line in tact in front of an experienced QB?

If Faalele is out like most are speculating it won't be like this will be some kind of internal shock. We have lots of returning experience along the O-Line and hopefully some younger guys ready to step in as well. Would be unfortunate not to have Faalele but I don't think he would mean the difference between a win or a loss in this one.

If you guys have been paying attention, big Dan likely wont play the entire season.

Likely starting lineup for tomorrow is Schueter, Olson, JMS, Ruschmeyer, Andries.

Seems likely, Dunlap and his status of course being the X-Factor. That is a whole lot of experience coming back even without Faalele.

If Ersery is starting at RT I believe that would mean that the following occurred:

a) he beat out Guedet
b) we are missing one of Olson/Schmitz
c) Ersery at RT is better than Beier/Cooper at a guard spot

I would be absolutely floored if Ersery sees the field tomorrow. Williams seems to be pulling that from his posterior. It seems virtually certain that we'll see the same OL from the bowl game, with the exception of whoever is replacing Dunlap (probably Ruschmeyer). And if Guedet was pushing for playing time as a true freshman last year, why would Ersery have leapt over him given that Guedet has an extra year in the playbook and with strength/conditioning? Just a weird comment all around by Williams.

Now, if Ersery does play - I'll be the first to come back and give Williams his props for "breaking" news and making a comment that no one else is making anywhere.

Also, if us Gopher diehards don't know sh*t, there is no way some Michigan fanboy does.

This was the MN Rivals writer being interviewed for the Michigan site--he should be at least somewhat clued in.

I have no 'insider' information at all... none. But I do have a question: is there a possibility that COVID issues are a factor along our offensive line?

Again, this is pure speculation on my part, nothing more.

Hey let Harbaugh think this is true. Nothing to see here.
51jIf6pW2WL._AC_SX355_.jpg

This was the MN Rivals writer being interviewed for the Michigan site--he should be at least somewhat clued in.

Ah my bad. I just saw Michigan in the link. Interesting.

I'd be very shocked if the freshman beat out JMS for a starting spot, I guess

We were fine in the Auburn game without Big Dan. Sure, him going out mid-game hurt us against Wiscy, but I think PJ and the staff have proven that - given prep time - they usually do a solid job getting fill-ins ready when someone goes down.

I have no 'insider' information at all... none. But I do have a question: is there a possibility that COVID issues are a factor along our offensive line?

Again, this is pure speculation on my part, nothing more.
I think that is THE question, given PJ’s pre-game remarks. Scenario: Faalele opt-out; Dunlap injured; JMS and perhaps Guedet COVID or simply quarantined because of contact tracing for someone else’s COVID test. That gives you Ruschmeyer and Ersery on the right side. People have talked about our depth issues on the OL. All speculation, and maybe even purposeful trolling at work here. We’ll see tomorrow night.

Last edited:

Dunlap injured isn't a thing.

Comment otherwise.

If Ersery is starting at RT I believe that would mean that the following occurred:

a) he beat out Guedet
b) we are missing one of Olson/Schmitz
c) Ersery at RT is better than Beier/Cooper at a guard spot
This is the only possible way Ersery happens. Both Faalele and Dunlap out and one or more of Olson/JMS/Guedet out with COVID or an injury of which we were unaware (which is actually all of them since the Gopher facility is locked down tighter than Fort Knox).

Well, if Ruschmeyer is the starter, hat's off to him because he earned it. Former walk-on.

He didn't play in the Auburn bowl game, except as a full-back in a heavy, short yardage formation (and possibly on special teams).

This is all speculation. Even if these insiders were given that info, they wouldn't share it because then they'd never get inside info again.

Could he be correct? Sure. But until I see this happen, I don't believe it.

There is no way JMS isn't on the field unless he is a COVID sit-out. Wasn't he a Pro Football Focus stud last year? No way he doesn't make it on the field without a good reason.

Shuelter Rushmeyer JMS Olson Andries

Dunlop is a backup with Guedet and Ersery

Faalele was out vs Auburn and they were considered the best D-line in the country.
And, to Auburn's credit, their DL players did play in the bowl game. If I'm a lock for a high draft pick I'd probably take a pass on a non-championship bowl game, but they didn't.

Top Bottom