Starting OL Next Year?

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Any ideas what our starting OL will look like to start next season? I am particularly interested in whether Jimmy Gjere will be in there and if not, what his progress has looked like to anyone who knows. When I hear of Tommy Olson possibly getting some starting snaps next year, I have to wonder what is up with Gjere, who actually came to us as a higher "rated" recruit by the services.

You forgot Jimmy Gjere, Brooks Michel and Josh Campion. I don't know about Jimmy because he's still young and I don't know how good he is, but Campion is so ripped I think he will be on the line along with Michel. I think you can take Wynn off for sure and probably Bunders or Orton as well.

It is interesting to me how, except for Jimmy Gjere, last year's freshmen who redshirted are getting no play for starting. I'm not necessarily saying any should, but out of sight, out of mind, I guess.

The new coaches have no idea whether any of the redshirts have anything to offer or not, since there is no film to watch. They will know a lot better (as will we) once they've been through the spring session.

You forgot Jimmy Gjere, Brooks Michel and Josh Campion. I don't know about Jimmy because he's still young and I don't know how good he is, but Campion is so ripped I think he will be on the line along with Michel. I think you can take Wynn off for sure and probably Bunders or Orton as well.

It's possible a guy like Campion could start over Wynn but I don't think there is even the slightest chance that a FR is going to beat out Bunders.

Remember 08!

Basically Orton, Bunders, Wynn, and the now stud shotputter Trey Davis were the hot and highly touted redshirt freshmen. They got whooped constantly, just annihilated by Big Ten defensive lines.
By the Iowa massacre Wynn looked to be about 235 lbs and injured at RT, Mitch King literally threw him at Weber on the first snap of the game.
Bottom line, Redshirt freshmen, even highly touted ones, are not usually physically ready for the Big Ten season.

I say usually because we will hopefully see an enigma in the highly talented Tommy Olson who sounds like he's been training with his brother and dad for the past 2 years and won't likely have any issues settling into life as a college player. He may be just that good and would contend for a job at RG. IMO center would be a tough draw for a true freshman, but who knows.

The redshirt freshmen will likely see spot duty along with Michel and Mottla.

Starting day 1 lineup will probably be the unsexy but hopefully solid:
LT: Olson
LG:Bunders
C:Wynn
RG:T. Olson/Orton or Campion
RT:Orton or Campion

Michel, Mottla, Gjere, Lenkiwitcz, Epping, Eggen, and Ragoo will fill back roles

I think I would rather put Wynn on the RT because I believe Bunders has some experience at center, and then put Campion at one of the guards because Wynn looks to have more of a tackle like build. If you were going with the line-up above.

The new coaches have no idea whether any of the redshirts have anything to offer or not, since there is no film to watch. They will know a lot better (as will we) once they've been through the spring session.

I'm sure they have film of practices to look at, but these guys have to be excited to compete for time.

Top Bottom