Starting in 2021-22, there will only be one college hockey team in Alaska

MplsGopher

Reaction score
https://goseawolves.com/news/2020/8/19/uaa-announces-reconfiguration-of-athletics-programs.aspx

In light of declining budgets, UAA Chancellor Cathy Sandeen and Director of Athletics Greg Myford made the difficult decision to eliminate four programs from the UAA sports roster: men's hockey, women's gymnastics, men's skiing and women's skiing. The changes will go into effect for the 2021-22 season and are expected to save approximately $2.5 million per year. Sandeen will seek University of Alaska Board of Regents' approval for the proposed reconfiguration during the Sept. 10-11, 2020, meeting.

https://alaskananooks.com/news/2020/8/19/general-chancellor-whites-message-on-uaa-athletics.aspx

I want to reassure our Alaska Nanooks student-athletes, parents, coaches, and the UAF and Fairbanks community that UAF's athletics programs are not part of this recommendation. UAF has 10 Division I and II sports, the minimum number allowed by the NCAA, and has no plans to reduce them.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
This will leave UAA with 9 varsity sports, in DII, and the NCAA requires a minimum of 10 sports. So they need to add a sport.

I actually wonder if they might consider adding men's volleyball? They have a very nice on-campus arena for women's vball and basketball.

WAGopher

Reaction score
This will leave UAA with 9 varsity sports, in DII, and the NCAA requires a minimum of 10 sports. So they need to add a sport.

I actually wonder if they might consider adding men's volleyball? They have a very nice on-campus arena for women's vball and basketball.
I’m sorry to see the UAA Hockey team disbanded. I have many fond memories of being at their games chanting U-A-A, U-A-A!

It was fun seeing both Gopher’s mens hoops and hockey there too.

TRF Guy

Reaction score
Surprised this didn’t happen sooner. Sucks but it was just a matter of time

Waffle

Reaction score
Seattle Kraken helped donate towards the $3 millions raised to help revive UAA's program in time for 2022-2023.

Top Bottom