Banned
Reaction score
2009 possible starting 5:

PG-Al Nolen
G-Lawrence Westbrook
F-Trevor Mbakwe
F-Royce White
F-Damian Johnson

No one on the list above stands taller than 6-7, but Mbakwe is a beast and we all know Johnson can rebound with the best of them in the Big Ten. Which one of the forwards do you exclude from the starting line-up though???

This scenario also puts Sampson III and Iverson on the bench right away. I'm not sure this is a good thing. Minnesota might have too much depth next season. You would hate to see a player's development get deterred because Tubby simply can't find time for him on the court

2009 possible starting 5:

PG-Al Nolen
G-Lawrence Westbrook
F-Trevor Mbakwe
F-Royce White
F-Damian Johnson

No one on the list above stands taller than 6-7, but Mbakwe is a beast and we all know Johnson can rebound with the best of them in the Big Ten. Which one of the forwards do you exclude from the starting line-up though???

This scenario also puts Sampson III and Iverson on the bench right away. I'm not sure this is a good thing. Minnesota might have too much depth next season. You would hate to see a player's development get deterred because Tubby simply can't find time for him on the court

Sampson starts over Mbakwe.

Sampson's only a sophomore...Mbakwe a junior with a much more well-rounded and mature game. Also, Mbakwe is a a physical specimen that Minnesota hasn't had in a number of years.

To start the year, I suspect we will roll with

C- Sampson
F- Mbakwe
F- Damien
G- Westbrook
G- Nolen

Devoe and Royce will have very real chances of unseating one of the 4 G/Fs above at some point. Iverson and Cobbs will have outside shots at unseating Sampson/Nolen.

I know that when Tubby got here, he lamented the lack of practice players, but that certainly won't be the case this year. And not only that, but all of the players on the team are talented enough that I HOPE it will help all of them develop. My biggest concern is still our outside shooting, but if Devoe can play more aggressively and expand his dribble-drive game so people lay off him a bit, and Damien keeps improving his shooting like he did last season, I like our chances. Hopefully Nolen can improve too, otherwise I can certainly see Cobbs coming in to bring some offensive spark and penetration ability. Nolen can penetrate, but is quite literally lucky to hit the rim when he does.

I have to say, next year I am most excited about Devoe and RS3. Both of them have a ton of potential, and if they make the big leaps they are capable of, our team will be very good.

Sampson's only a sophomore...Mbakwe a junior with a much more well-rounded and mature game. Also, Mbakwe is a a physical specimen that Minnesota hasn't had in a number of years.
Please note that all five First Team All Big Ten players last year were sophomores.

I'm sure we'll see your lineup on the floor at times next year, but I'm expecting big things from both Sampson and Iverson next year too.

I agree with Saber, the Gophers' biggest concern will be outside shooting. Joseph showed flashes last season, and he was playing at his unnatural PG position most of the time. Hopefully he won't have to play PG at all next season and can just roam the perimeter and knock down treys. Obviously, the Gophers need Hoffarber to get back on track too. Blake needs to shoot at least 40% next season from downtown.

Guessing ONLY

F White and Mbakwe
C Sampson
G Westbrook and Nolen

But Joseph takes over one of G in mid-season.

I can't see Damien not starting either. What he brings defensively is very important in that he can guard a variety of guys. I'm going with
Nolen
Westbrook
DJ
White
Sampson

What I'd love to see would be

Nolen
Joseph
DJ
White
Sampson

Nolan
Joseph
Mbakwe
DJ
Sampson

Westbrook off the bench for instant scoring, White is a year away. Mbakwe is a beast and needs to be on the floor for the Big 10. Joseph is a better shooter than Westbrook. Iverson will back up both Sampson and Mbakwe. I am excited, looks like a great team!

Damien

Understand your POV but Mbakwe and White are a step or two up the talent ladder.

FOT - I do hope our new players are a step up. If so that could help our older players to step it up too. Damien brings an awful lot to the court and for two newbies to both pass him by, would be asking alot. It is a great situation to have when the conversation is even possible. Time will tell.

I am a big Damien fan and look forward to being a big Trevor fan and a big Royce fan.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dr G --

"Joseph is a better shooter than Westbrook."

While he may prove to be, the stats from this year do not completely support this.

FG % Westy 43% Devoe 40%
3-PT % Westy 35% Devoe 37%
FT % Westy 83% Devoe 53%

I sure want Westy on the floor at the end of games !!!

White is too talented and Tubby has too much invested in him to not start him by the middle of the season. Damien and Westbrook need to be in the line-up. In my opinion, Mbakwe will bring more to the Gophers next season than any newcomer. He should be able to jump in right away.

are we the only team in the country that can literally debate over who are starters will be going all the way down to the 10 guy??? when your next 5 could probably beat lower tier big ten teams thats usually a good sign. Practices are going to be like real games and competitive

are we the only team in the country that can literally debate over who are starters will be going all the way down to the 10 guy??? when your next 5 could probably beat lower tier big ten teams thats usually a good sign. Practices are going to be like real games and competitive

Perfectly stated!!!

Johnson was one of the Big Ten's worst rebounding forwards last year.

White is too talented and Tubby has too much invested in him to not start him by the middle of the season. Damien and Westbrook need to be in the line-up. In my opinion, Mbakwe will bring more to the Gophers next season than any newcomer. He should be able to jump in right away.

Why don't you have Sampson starting?

4.2 rebounds-per-game isn't HORRIBLE, but you're right, I probably jumped the gun with that statement. There is no arguing that he is the best shot-blocker in the league though.

4.2 rebounds-per-game isn't HORRIBLE, but you're right, I probably jumped the gun with that statement. There is no arguing that he is the best shot-blocker in the league though.

You could probably find at least 25 Big Ten players that averaged more REB/40 than Johnson.

Yep, you're right. But I think he has the mentality and physical make-up to become a decent rebounder during his senior season.

I love having so many solid guys returning and coming in that everyone can pretty much come up with their own starting five. Good problem to have!!!

I love having so many solid guys returning and coming in that everyone can pretty much come up with their own starting five. Good problem to have!!!

Great point, isn't it fun.

Here we go, endless possibilities:
SMALL, TALENTED
Nolen, Westbrook, White, Johnson, Mbakwe
BALANCED, TALENTED
Nolen, Westbrook, White, Mbakwe, Sampson
THREE GUARD
Nolen, Joseph, Westbrook, Mbakwe, Iverson
GOING BIG
Nolen, Hoffarber, White, Sampson, Iverson
SHOOTERS
Cobbs, Joseph, Hoffarber, Johnson, Sampson
YOUNG, TALENTED
Cobbs, Joseph, White, Iverson, Sampson
ATHLETIC
Nolen, Williams, White, Johnson, Carter
DEFENSIVE
Nolen, Williams, Mbakwe, Johnson, Iverson
OFFENSIVE
Cobbs, Westbrook, White, Johnson, Sampson

We could do this all night...

You could probably find at least 25 Big Ten players that averaged more REB/40 than Johnson.

Damien finished 23rd in the conference in rebounds at 4.2 per game (discounting David Lighty who played 7 games and another guy who only played 1).

That was tied with RSIII for second on the team behind Paul Carter who grabbed 4.5 in only 16 mns per (for all the Paul Carter haters out there).

He did this in 26.7 mns per game. Only 7 guys ranked higher in boards did so in fewer minutes.
Of those 7, 1 was Carter and 2 were centers, and 2 played for MSU the best rebounding team in the conference. The others were all 4's while DJ largely played the 3 spot.

The point is you're assertion that DJ is a poor rebounder is completely incorrect. He's not a great rebounder but his numbers are more than decent and are very solid for a guy playing his position in the amount of minutes he played.

There is no way that Johnson does not start. He is the only "for sure" starter imo.

If we're talking about the starting five for the season opener, I'd go with:

G -- Nolen & Westbrook
C-- Sampson
F -- Johnson & Mbakwe

Certainly I'd expect there will be a change or two (most likely Joseph and/or White sliding in) by the start of the Big 10 season, but I think Mbakwe is the only newbie to start right away. We need a beast on the boards & a guy to get garbage buckets, and he sounds like the most likely candidate.

>>There is no way that Johnson does not start. He is the only "for sure" starter imo.<<

I agree. Its the other four that are up for grabs. Johnson will be team captain and lead the team in minutes.

PG - Nolen
SG - Williams
SF - Carter
PF - DJ
C - Mbakwe

I heard they are just going to full court press the entire game. Experts are guessing 12 back court violations caused per game for this starting 5.

Yipes !

PG - Nolen
SG - Williams
SF - Carter
PF - DJ
C - Mbakwe

I heard they are just going to full court press the entire game. Experts are guessing 12 back court violations caused per game for this starting 5.

I would bet a buck we NEVER see this lineup starting a game in 2009-2010 season !!

:) :) :)

If we're talking about the starting five for the season opener, I'd go with:

G -- Nolen & Westbrook
C-- Sampson
F -- Johnson & Mbakwe

Certainly I'd expect there will be a change or two (most likely Joseph and/or White sliding in) by the start of the Big 10 season, but I think Mbakwe is the only newbie to start right away. We need a beast on the boards & a guy to get garbage buckets, and he sounds like the most likely candidate.

I agree, Mbakwe is already a junior. There's no waiting in him. I think he's ready to jump right into the rotation.

Great point about Joseph and White. Both were highly-touted coming out of high school and are considered two of the cornerstones of the program's future. I don't think Tubby would have a problem replacing White with Sampson, but Joseph for Westbrook? -- I'm not sure he'll do that. I also don't think he'll throw Joseph at PG, that's not his natural position. He could flourish off the ball. I'm not sure if Joseph ran the point at Penn State when he went crazy last season, but that game alone got me excited about his potential.

Top Bottom