Starting 22 as of right now?

Maroon

This guy gets it!
Reaction score
Lots of new faces entering the starting lineup in 2010. I don't know enough about these younger guys as I'd like. Can someone (or multiple people) post what they think the starting lineup is going to look like? I'm interested in both sides of the ball, but especially the defense.

Opening Day:

QB Weber
HB one of Edwards/Wright/Kirkwood
FB Hoese
WR McKnight
WR Stoudermire
TE Lair
LT Alford
LG Bunders
C Burris
RG Carufel
RT Wills

DE Hageman
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Wilhite
OLB Rallis
MLB Tinsley
OLB Cooper
CB Collado
CB Carter
FS Lewis
SS Theret

Look for these players to push the starters, and possibly/probably be starting themselves by the end of the year:

QB Gray
WR B. Allen
TE Euree
G/T Olson, Jr.
DE Garin
MLB Maresh
FS Royston (when healthy)
SS Watkins

This should be the 1st team at the begining of camp.

QB Weber
RB Eskeridge
FB/WR Hoese/Allen
WR McKnight
WR Stoudemire
LT Alford
LG Burris
C Bunders
RG Carufel
RT Wills
TE Eure

DE Wilhite
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Hageman
SLB Rallis
MLB Maresh
WLB Cooper
CB Carter
SS Theret
FS Watkins
CB Lewis/Collado

If and when Tinsley returns, the starting MLB should be his. I think Royston will try to return this fall too, but might not win his starting spot back. I don't expect Theret to be suspend all fall camp, but that's just a guess. I think we'll see either the spring practice O Line going into the season, but either Orton, Wynn or Olson will end up a starter at some point. Year older and perhaps a year better might be all it takes to improve the offense.

QB Weber
RB Eskeridge (had to pick this based on my bet with schnoodle, thought I'm starting to doubt it based on talks)
FB Hoese (I think I would have normally had a wide out here, but again the unit hasn't been impressive)
WR McKnight
WR Stoudemire (Green would have been my guess until after spring. I don't like Stoud here, but didn't get to see Allen)
LT Alford
LG Burris
C Bunders
RG Carufel (this is the one that I think might be first causality)
RT Wills
TE Eure

DE Wilhite (i don't have a lot of confidence with this one, due to other injuries, wanted to say garin)
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Hageman
SLB Rallis
MLB Tinsley (depending on punishment)
WLB Cooper
CB Carter
SS Theret (too much football iq to get passed up)
FS Roysten (too much versatility not to be on the field-also assuming he will be healthy)
CB Collado

What happened to Brandon Green? Didn't he start every game last year?

It is just my guess/feeling that with a passing game built around play-action that the people that can eat up yards and separate from their defenders will get more chances. My feeling is that Green will be back part of the rotation if blocking becomes a concern. I thought I remember him being pretty solid on the outside.

Let me also temper that by saying Green will get a lot of chances. It is just my guess on who is the "starter".

Couple questions: Basically the same offensive line as last year then? Has anyone been singled out as making significant strides? That was obviously a problem area last year.

Defensively, there's more experience in the secondary (compared to other areas), I guess, but I sure hope that's not the strength of the defense this year or it might be a long season.

Couple questions: Basically the same offensive line as last year then? Has anyone been singled out as making significant strides? That was obviously a problem area last year.

I think Olson has been singled out as making big strides - but as a RS freshman it is still too early to project him starting in the first game.

QB Weber
RB Eskeridge (had to pick this based on my bet with schnoodle, thought I'm starting to doubt it based on talks)
FB Hoese (I think I would have normally had a wide out here, but again the unit hasn't been impressive)
WR McKnight
WR Stoudemire (Green would have been my guess until after spring. I don't like Stoud here, but didn't get to see Allen)
LT Alford
LG Burris
C Bunders
RG Carufel (this is the one that I think might be first causality)
RT Wills
TE Eure

DE Wilhite (i don't have a lot of confidence with this one, due to other injuries, wanted to say garin)
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Hageman
SLB Rallis
MLB Tinsley (depending on punishment)
WLB Cooper
CB Carter
SS Theret (too much football iq to get passed up)
FS Roysten (too much versatility not to be on the field-also assuming he will be healthy)
CB Collado

Unless he has made HUGE strides, Bunders will be the 1st OL to get demoted. (given that there is anyone with a pulse behind him)

This should be the 1st team at the begining of camp.

QB Weber
RB Eskeridge
FB/WR Hoese/Allen
WR McKnight
WR Stoudemire
LT Alford
LG Burris
C Bunders
RG Carufel
RT Wills
TE Eure

DE Wilhite
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Hageman
SLB Rallis
MLB Maresh
WLB Cooper
CB Carter
SS Theret
FS Watkins
CB Lewis/Collado

If and when Tinsley returns, the starting MLB should be his. I think Royston will try to return this fall too, but might not win his starting spot back. I don't expect Theret to be suspend all fall camp, but that's just a guess. I think we'll see either the spring practice O Line going into the season, but either Orton, Wynn or Olson will end up a starter at some point. Year older and perhaps a year better might be all it takes to improve the offense.

It was stated that Watkins "seized the opportunity," and has played his way into the starting SS spot. Lewis also looked very good at FS though; yet his versatility may present opportunities to play him at corner and/or nickel as well. Royston will likely be reinserted in his starting role upon healthy return. I believe the JUCO Thornton will play a lot at FS as well. Theret will play a larger role on Special Forces. Although with different players than anticipated before the Spring, the Secondary may well be a position of stength for the Defense, especially if Royston gets back healthy.

This should be the starting line-up based on Spring performances to start the Summer:

QB Weber
RB Eskeridge
FB/WR Hoese/Green
WR McKnight
WR Stoudemire
LT Alford
LG Burris
C Bunders
RG Carufel
RT Wills
TE Lair

DE Wilhite
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Hageman
SLB Rallis
MLB Maresh/Tinsley
WLB Cooper
CB Carter
SS Watkins
FS Lewis
CB Henderson/Collado

It was stated that Watkins "seized the opportunity," and has played his way into the starting SS spot.

Good to know. I was under the impression that Watkins was trying out both spots with Lewis and Lewis was working corner as well. I really thought both looked great in the spring game. I assumed Theret would be back at SS and Watkins would move over and Lewis would play more corner and nickle. However it plays out, I'm glad to hear these guys are playing well.

Since when is Bunders at C and Burris at G?

I think it depends on whether the conference expands or not

Since I mixed up their names.

No worries - I assumed it was an innocent mistake, and then Stargenes posted the same thing, so I was beginning to wonder if something happened that I hadn't heard about.

I like the progress of our other O-linemen but Bunders just is not a Big Ten football player. Hopefully, Olson is starting pretty quickly.

but Bunders just is not a Big Ten football player

I agree. He's always seemed out of place as a starter on a BCS conference team. I think it's an indictment of our offensive line that, at least ostensibly, he's one of the 5 best guys we can trot out there.

This should be the starting line-up based on Spring performances to start the Summer:

QB Weber
RB Eskeridge
FB/WR Hoese/Green
WR McKnight
WR Stoudemire
LT Alford
LG Olsen, Jr.
C Burris
RG Carufel
RT Wills
TE Lair

DE Wilhite
DT Kirksey
DT Edwards
DE Hageman
SLB Rallis
MLB Maresh/Tinsley
WLB Cooper
CB Carter
SS Watkins
FS Lewis
CB Henderson/Collado

Sorry for the Bunders/Burris mix up above. I have revised the Summer Starting line-up. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoudermire won't start in any 2 wideout sets, unless it's a twins type set. His place is in the slot.

So since we'll be based in a Pro or Ace set, I'd guess McKnight and Brandon Green will be starting at WR. If Allen is good enough, then I suppose he could supplant Green outside. But all I've really seen him do is catch a couple of slants and bank in some 3-pointers - so we'll stick with Green for now.

Stoudermire won't start in any 2 wideout sets, unless it's a twins type set. His place is in the slot.

So since we'll be based in a Pro or Ace set, I'd guess McKnight and Brandon Green will be starting at WR. If Allen is good enough, then I suppose he could supplant Green outside. But all I've really seen him do is catch a couple of slants and bank in some 3-pointers - so we'll stick with Green for now.

You may be right, but at the spring game, they were running mostly 2 WR sets, and I don't recall seeing Green with the first team even once. He may have been, but I missed it if so.

I thought Kerry Lewis was transfering.... is that the Lewis everyone is listing as a safety/corner in their depth chart?

Since Coach Brewster Stated At Big Ten Mtgs...

That he expects Royston to be available for the MTSU Game, the Starters will be:

QB Weber
HB one of Bennett/Eskridge/Edwards/Wright
FB/WR Hoese/Green
WR McKnight
WR Stoudermire
TE Lair
LT Alford
LG Bunders
C Burris
RG Carufel
RT Wills

DE Hageman