Starters for this season?

mcrow

Reaction score
I have been out of the loop for a while when it comes to gophers BB.

C: Elliason
F: MBakwe
F: Williams
G: Hollins

How's that look?

Should be a big year for the Gophers, IMO. Maybe Coleman fights for a starting spot?

I have been out of the loop for a while when it comes to gophers BB.

C: Elliason
F: MBakwe
F: Williams

How's that look?

Should be a big year for the Gophers, IMO. Maybe Coleman fights for a starting spot?

That's probably what it will be unless Big Mo beats out EE at some point. Also small chance that Tubby goes small with Hollins, Hollins, Coleman, Williams, and Mbakwe.

Lots of potential starting lineups depending on the opponent.

I've come around to the idea of starting Eliason or Walker due to the possibility of that strategy limiting foul trouble. I still hope we are able to play a more uptempo style with Mbakwe/Williams up front and some combination of Austin/Joe/Andre/Julian at the other spots for much of the game.

Lots of potential starting lineups depending on the opponent.

I agree with this analysis as we can't truly deal with a specific "starting 5" for every game.

Nagging injuries, not heavy duty ones that totally sideline someone, that slow one down requires the notion that due to injury, "Is Player B at 100% better able to do the job than Player A at 80%"?

Small:
Andre Hollins
Julian Welch/Joe Coleman
Austin Hollins
Rodney Williams
Trevor Mbakwe

Big:
Andre Hollins
Austin Hollins
Rodney Williams
Trevor Mbakwe
Elliot Eliason

Big:
Andre Hollins
Austin Hollins
Rodney Williams
Trevor Mbakwe
Elliot Eliason

I know we haven't seen Mo play in nearly 2 years, but I feel like his outside game should make him a viable candidate for starting over EE -- especially with Mbakwe on the court. With EE, Mbakwe, and Rodney all on the court together, we run into a logjam situation in the paint. I'd much rather have Mo's shooting ability on the court rather than another bruiser right under the basket.

I know we haven't seen Mo play in nearly 2 years, but I feel like his outside game should make him a viable candidate for starting over EE -- especially with Mbakwe on the court. With EE, Mbakwe, and Rodney all on the court together, we run into a logjam situation in the paint. I'd much rather have Mo's shooting ability on the court rather than another bruiser right under the basket.

I agree. I just didn't want to throw big Mo in with the starters before we've seen him play.

I think Elliot Elliason is a perfect starter for the Gophers at center even over Walker. What a starting lineup needs is a bit of balance if you have 5 guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective your going to struggle. Elliason proved last year what he can do and he should only improve going into this season. He is a guy who passes the ball very well for a big man. I was shocked last year how great he was passing from the high post inside or to the wing. He sets very good screens inside and away from the basket to help others get open. Most of all he is a very hard working defender and rebounder who is active and moves his feet. This will allow him to get offensive rebounds especially with teams being forced to pay attention to Mbakwe around the hoop. Walker has some great skills but having some scoring punch off the bench that we hope Walker can provide will be important. This years bench will have some talent but other than the potential Walker has I dont have much faith in our backup post game.

Honestly, I don't care who starts. I care about who is on the floor at the end of the game.

It's all about matchups. IF everyone stays healthy and productive, (and the coaching staff does its job), the Gophers should have the ability to match up with a lot of different teams. They can go big - they can go small - they can put a real quick lineup on the floor and full-court press.

BUT, this all depends on the coaching staff being willing and able to make the in-game adjustments. IMHO, the most successful coaches are able to adjust their system to the available talent - not try and shoe-horn players into a system with no flexibility. And, a successful coach can make in-game adjustments and react to what the other team is doing. Is Tubby & Co. capable of doing that? we will see................

Honestly, I don't care who starts. I care about who is on the floor at the end of the game.

I hear this one often, but never understood it. If the right people are on the court to start, doesn't that improve your chances to make who is on the floor at the end of the game less relevant?

Perhaps not what I'd do, but I can't see Tubby Smith not starting Elliot Eliason in November. Just seems like a decision Tubby would make. That said, I'd project Dre/Austin/Rodney/Trevor/EE on opening night. I hope we get to see Julian in there instead of Eliason with those other four at times - could be quite potent together.

I hear this one often, but never understood it. If the right people are on the court to start, doesn't that improve your chances to make who is on the floor at the end of the game less relevant?

Perhaps not what I'd do, but I can't see Tubby Smith not starting Elliot Eliason in November. Just seems like a decision Tubby would make. That said, I'd project Dre/Austin/Rodney/Trevor/EE on opening night. I hope we get to see Julian in there instead of Eliason with those other four at times - could be quite potent together.

No look at the Miami Heat in the NBA they always started Lebron at SF but most of the time he finished at PF.

No look at the Miami Heat in the NBA they always started Lebron at SF but most of the time he finished at PF.

That doesn't really change the fact that the starters are going to generally play the most minutes and dictate the pace of the game.

It's all about matchups. IF everyone stays healthy and productive, (and the coaching staff does its job), the Gophers should have the ability to match up with a lot of different teams. They can go big - they can go small - they can put a real quick lineup on the floor and full-court press.

BUT, this all depends on the coaching staff being willing and able to make the in-game adjustments. IMHO, the most successful coaches are able to adjust their system to the available talent - not try and shoe-horn players into a system with no flexibility. And, a successful coach can make in-game adjustments and react to what the other team is doing. Is Tubby & Co. capable of doing that? we will see................

Good question.

I keep having these thoughts of Tubby going with the big line-up(EE, Trevor, Rodney and Hollins x 2), the half court offense bogs down like it has in the past, and everyone is calling for the small line-up.

Top Bottom