Start Times Announced for Four Home Games

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per the U:

Start Times Announced for Four Home Games

The Big Ten conference announced the start time for four Minnesota home football games today.

The Gophers will kick off the 2022 season – the sixth with P.J. Fleck at the helm – at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 1 at Huntington Bank Stadium against New Mexico State. The game will be broadcast on BTN.

Nine days later on Saturday, Sept. 10, Minnesota will host Western Illinois at 11 a.m. on BTN. The Maroon and Gold will wrap up its nonconference schedule with a 2:30 p.m. home game on Saturday, Sept. 17, against Colorado on ESPN2.

The Big Ten also announced the start time for Minnesota's homecoming game against Purdue on Saturday, Oct. 1. The Gophers and the Boilermakers will kick at 11 a.m. and television broadcast information will be announced in the future.

The conference also announced the start time for two Minnesota road games. The Gophers will play at 11 a.m. at Illinois on Oct. 15 and will play at 6:30 p.m. at Penn State on Oct. 22. Television broadcast information for both of these games will be announced in the future.

Kick times for Minnesota's remaining games will be announced in the future.

Go Gophers!!

I wish the Thursday game started earlier. More time for tailgating I suppose. 11:00 isn't a great time for Homecoming.

Fleck vs. Kill no holds barred under the lights!

Fumbled around the idea of Happy Valley this year with the normal crew. I think it's a no brainer now that it's a night game. Revenge game!
Plus the White-out possiblility!

I meant it as Penn State will want revenge. Should be an entertaining game if both teams stay healthy. Could be a potential top 25 matchup.
Between the portal, covid-19, and the 3 years in between games...there's not many players left who were involved in the 2019 game besides a few super-covid seniors like Tanner and CAB. Penn St probably has a handful who got on the field for it.

Plus the White-out possiblility!
Is this a real possibility? Would be a dream come true.

I guess if OSU is already the Fox big noon game it kind of has to be us or Michigan State. Have they ever done a white out during the day?

Last edited:

Is this a real possibility? Would be a dream come true.

I guess if OSU is already the Fox big noon game it kind of has to be us or Michigan State. Have they ever done a white out during the day?
They have, someone posted an article that discussed the 2 most likely white out games this year which was us and a game that will likely start at noon I believe.

Revenge for blowing a 13-3 halftime lead in Happy Valley in 2016 and having to watch Trace McSorley turn into Michael Vick/Joe Montana clone in the fourth quarter.
Half the team was in middle school in 2016

It’s crazy to go back and look at the amount of high end talent that was on the field in the 2019 PSU Minnesota game. Going to go off top of my head here:

Parsons
Hamler
Doctson
Friermuth
T Johnson
Bateman
Faalele
R Smith
Winfield
Coughlan
Mafe

Lots of pros

It’s crazy to go back and look at the amount of high end talent that was on the field in the 2019 PSU Minnesota game. Going to go off top of my head here:

Parsons
Hamler
Doctson
Friermuth
T Johnson
Bateman
Faalele
R Smith
Winfield
Coughlan
Mafe

Lots of pros
Doctson was TCU I think.

While the 2:30p Colorado game and the evening game at PSU are great, was disappointed that the Purdue game was slated for 11a. Other than Mich @ Iowa, most of the other B1G matches that day are not likely to be close contests (Rutgers@OSU, NW@PSU, Ill@WI, etc.) - thought we could get a 2:30p nod (or at least keep it a TBD)

While the 2:30p Colorado game and the evening game at PSU are great, was disappointed that the Purdue game was slated for 11a. Other than Mich @ Iowa, most of the other B1G matches that day are not likely to be close contests (Rutgers@OSU, NW@PSU, Ill@WI, etc.) - thought we could get a 2:30p nod (or at least keep it a TBD)
Maybe that's exactly why it was chosen as an 11am game, to be the best one in that window.

Sometimes the biggest time slot of the week is nation 11am instead of regional 2:30

It is why Texas Oklahoma is at 11am every year

Purdue vs MN is an 11am tradition ... sadly.

Sometimes the biggest time slot of the week is nation 11am instead of regional 2:30

It is why Texas Oklahoma is at 11am every year
And Michigan / Ohio State. For now.

Since FOX came on board, it feels as though the early window has many more desirable Big 10 matchups. This includes games on ESPN/ESPN2/ABC as Game Day can serve as a lead in.

The opposite effect can also be true with less desirable matchups being put in the 2:30 pm window on BTN.

Purdue vs MN is an 11am tradition ... sadly.
Actually not at the Bank.

2020 - Friday night prime game game. Push off?
2018 - 2:30 window on a glorious miserable day with my faith in Fleck wavering, they pounded the Boilers.
2016 - 2:30 window. Can't recall anything special about this one, but Gophers won 44-31.

The last 11am game was 2014. Santoso with the game winning boot.

Top Bottom