Star Tribune

Most of the good coverage for college and high school has moved online, or is on the bazillion specialty TV channels that now exist.

Most of the traditional newspapers have gutted their newsrooms so much that there isn't much left over for coverage of local niches. They also tend to hold onto the same people for far too long and grow stale in their voice and approach.

As a lifelong Minnesotan I’ve traveled across the country. I have never experienced a worse example of journalism. Especially when it comes to college and high school sports.

Am I wring?
The paper as a whole or the sports columnists?

Terrible newspaper. They have not gotten a flat dime from me in at least 10 years. They have some positive attributes, but not near enough to overcome the bad.

I manage to see what I want to for free, but will never pay to support their business.

The Milwaukee Journal was taken over by the USA Today empire and is useless. There is more Wisconsin news the Star Tribune.
Both Milwaukee and Madison papers can be very critical of Badger sports teams but the WI fan blogs do not react with the level of angst that some MN fans do to negative reporting.
Recently the beat reporter for the Madison paper said the long term future of the WI FB team under Chryst is bleak.
I did not see any hysteria on Buckyville over those statements.

Try listening to sports talk radio as you travel across the country. It's refreshing as it's actually sports talk radio.

We have shit for sports radio, and shit for sports newspapers. You can't make it up.

As a lifelong Minnesotan I’ve traveled across the country. I have never experienced a worse example of journalism. Especially when it comes to college and high school sports.

Am I wring?
I've lived in a lot of places, and by far the Trib's sports section, that is whenever I have the unfortunate experience of reading one of their articles, is the worst. No insight, no humor, no interesting viewpoints; just rehashed stories or nonsensical tirades. I'd say they're in a league of their own when it comes to being bad, but KFAN is right up there with them. Together they really make for some lousy sports coverage. Kudos to Daniel House (@DanielHouseNFL and @GophersGuru) and Ryan James (@RyanJamesMN) for seeing the opp and filling the void.

By far the worst in BIG country. I was in KC last weekend. Reminded me of the quality we do not have in MN.
The likes of Souhan and Reusse are nauseating.

LaVaque on the HS side is unreadable.
Can they not find more Chip Scoggins?
I’m surprised you thought The Star here in KC was quality. That paper has been trash for about a decade.
The sports radio stations down here do a pretty good job though. I’ll give them credit for that.

Recently the beat reporter for the Madison paper said the long term future of the WI FB team under Chryst is bleak.
Maybe the fans are so delusional that they're in denial about the writer being on to something. The end is nigh for the skunks V23.0!

The Milwaukee Journal was taken over by the USA Today empire and is useless. There is more Wisconsin news the Star Tribune.
Both Milwaukee and Madison papers can be very critical of Badger sports teams but the WI fan blogs do not react with the level of angst that some MN fans do to negative reporting.

Am I wring?
No, you're not wring.

Sadly, print media have been fighting for survival and consequently relevance. Negativity sells. Journalistic standards, what is that?

I’m surprised you thought The Star here in KC was quality. That paper has been trash for about a decade.
The sports radio stations down here do a pretty good job though. I’ll give them credit for that.
I didn’t say it was a quality paper but was better than the Strib by light years. The sensationalism produced by their writers is not journalism.

Sadly, print media have been fighting for survival and consequently relevance. Negativity sells. Journalistic standards, what is that?
I agree. The selling of negativity has permeated our lives. Crap sells. It shows up every once in a while on gopherhole.com. I do like a good jab every once in a while, and I think media serves the purpose of keeping people honest with their intentions. A difference exists between reporting that is just plain inept and reporting that is meant to put someone down. Old fashioned reporting that was done with investigation and solid interviews, mostly built on the trust between sports teams and the reporter ... is gone. So writers take the easy approach. Sad indeed.

Madison media does so many uw articles that they come at a cost of possible high school athletic stories. It is ridiculous.

I agree. The selling of negativity has permeated our lives. Crap sells. It shows up every once in a while on gopherhole.com. I do like a good jab every once in a while, and I think media serves the purpose of keeping people honest with their intentions. A difference exists between reporting that is just plain inept and reporting that is meant to put someone down. Old fashioned reporting that was done with investigation and solid interviews, mostly built on the trust between sports teams and the reporter ... is gone. So writers take the easy approach. Sad indeed.
"Old fashioned reporting that was done with investigation and solid interviews, mostly built on the trust between sports teams and the reporter ... is gone."
I think this sentence sums it up best. In the "pre-internet" era, we relied on the beat reporters and occasional columnists to at least give us a peak into the inner workings of sports teams. There was no instagram, facebook, chat rooms, online forums, etc. The reporters knew the players and coaches well and could tell the difference when someone was having a "frustration moment" (usually no big deal) and a genuine newsworthy reportable event. As readers, we appreciated the insight. Now every word is scrutinized up the wazoo. You can't have trust, because so many are competing for the one clickable story, the one misconstrued line (or even the one misconstrued word). So everything becomes bland platitudes - thus making the reporters job even tougher as he or she needs to generate clickable stories.

You must be looking for the thread on the Milwaukee Journal or Madison Bestiality Weekly (what I assume the Madison paper is called). You can find those somewhere else.

I think the Strib had determined the only way to get bumps in readership is for the Souhan type column to pop up.

I think they also get a good number of non-native Minnesotans who are fans of other teams who subscribe. Wisconsin and Iowa transplants probably love to share articles to their families back home when a "Minnesota newspaper" is talking positive about their team.

"Hey Chad, check this out. Even the Minnesota newspaper thinks our football team is really good! And that's coming from a Minnesota newspaper!"

Badger and Packer fans love that when someone else talks about their team being good. It gives them validation that the state they left for decent employment wasn't a total crap-hole.

Am I wring?
No you aren’t. St. Paul paper vastly superior in high school reporting.

the two strib high school reporters essentially editorialize even high school sports. Last night one of them made a smartass comment on Twitter at the Eden prairie account. At the beginning of the year they did a season preview where they basically called the Stillwater coaching staff underachieving when they have no idea what happens behind closed doors (meanwhile Stillwater is a top 10 team this year).

Just horrible. I actually think it’s worse for high school than college.

they think they are the newspaper version of espn hot takes show

Top Bottom