Stanzi or Weber?

PapaHawk21

Reaction score
Many people on this board claimed that Adam Weber is a better QB than Ricky Stanzi at Iowa. After 4 weeks, do people still feel this way? I'm not trying to flame, just looking for honest reflection. Weber is clearly better than the overall team record indicates.

Stanzi Schmanzi

Who cares about the Iowa quarterback?

Weber is not a winner, and that's pretty much all there is to say. Some QB's are just 'winners' who either by talent or force of will can lift their teams to victory, while others are unable to do that, and Weber falls squarely into that second camp. I see him as kind of like the Jon Kitna of college football, in that sometimes he can look quite good or even great and leave you wondering..."Dang, this guy looks good! Why hasn't he had more success?", but the answer is because just like Kitna, Weber's not a winner. He just doesn't have that inherent quality within himself. I mean he can sparkle like a diamond in garbage time when his team is already hopelessly behind and the game out of reach, but that's not exactly what we're looking for.

I had high hopes for him too, especially after his freshman season. At one time he looked pretty talented, but being jerked around the way he's been what with the different coordinators and changes in offensive philosophy on an almost yearly basis, it's not such a big wonder that he's not really progressed.

Any QB is as good as the receivers routes. our receivers for the most part, have zero clue what to do. There is some improvising by a QB but in Webber's case, its impossible to play with people who have no clue and when they get lucky to be in the right place, they drop the rock.

I will say this, I was extremely annoyed last season that Weber was our starter all season and he is still an absolute bonehead at times. But he is abou reason #15 why we aren't winning.

Stanzi is also playing really well this year. I would probably prefer Stanzi (who also can be a bonehead) but it's actually pretty close.

As far as Weber not being a winner, well I think that is a bit overblown. There are tons of examples of players who "didn't know how to win" in the NFL who went to better teams and magically discovered that ability, and another list of players who went to less talented teams and magically lost that ability.

I think if you were to switch the two you would see similar results. Both QB's can be absolutely brutal passers, but both can also win the game for you in the 4th quarter. Obviously Stanzi has more wins, but he also has a coach that can coach and is surrounded by a functioning team...both of which have eluded Weber in his time at the U.

For a guy who has classroom smarts, as Weber does, it still surprises me that he can't make his reads or checkdowns with the kind of authority one would expect from a college QB. The "happy feet" while making his reads has always bugged me.

Other than that issue (and it's a big issue), I think he's comparable to the middle-of-the pack QBs in the Big 10. His deep ball is much better this season.

Webber

Webber's problem is his accuracy. The touchdown pass to Mcknight was a classic example, the ball was intended for Gray and Webber over threw the ball. He rarely leads his receivers and either they have to wait on it or they are reaching behind them to catch it. This puts his receivers in difficult positions to catch the ball. If Brew had any clue at all he would bench Webber and start Gray.

Top Bottom