Standouts today?

balds

Reaction score
Besides the obvious (Carter, Stoudamire,Decker, Orseske), did anybody see any other notable standouts or have any other observations. Here are a few of mine:

I saw D.L. Wilhite get to the QB a few times, which was encouraging.

Very surprised to see Hagemann playing DE, but I think he could excel there.

Carpenter, Green and Allen, while not doing a whole lot today, look very quick.

The position we are deepest at is DT, and it's not even close. Love the 4 man rotation.

As Normandale noted, excellent spacing on the WR routes.

At halftime, Our frosh punter was effortlessly kicking 50-58 yards (from scrimmmage) repeatedly.

I didn't really watch the OL at all, but I just watched the BTN broadcast and one of their analysts was praising Wills. Said he had great feet for a guy as big as he is. He also had a great block on DeLeon's TD run.

I was also going to say Wills and Bennett looked pretty good at times. The knee looks good and it shouldn't cause him too much trouble. My favorite single play of the day was BPT's open-field tackle of Hayo on a reverse, one of the most beautiful tackles I have seen in a while. Mike Rallis had a nice INT and I think he may have some real potential as a safety in the future.
________
Bmw Tech

Cooper did well today on the 2nd team. Had 6-8 tackles and ran the field pretty well. I saw Sam Maresh get a couple tackles as well, although he did get run over by the FB in the 2nd half. But it was still great to see him on the field!

Simmons tackle on Carpenter was fantasic. I also thought Carpenter looked fine.

Although he wasn't flashy, Jay Thomas got some good carries with the 2nd team and that was great to see as well after all he's gone through.

I didn't notice Simmons much during the rest of the day, but that open field tackle was outstanding. One of the top plays of the day, IMO.

I didn't really watch the OL at all, but I just watched the BTN broadcast and one of their analysts was praising Wills. Said he had great feet for a guy as big as he is. He also had a great block on DeLeon's TD run.

Yeah, we were fortunate to be sitting three rows up right on the goalline and watched that happen right in front of us. Wills pushed Eric Jacque back about eight yards. Not sure that Jacque is representative of what Wills will expect to see every week from Big Ten DTs, but it's a beautiful thing to see a road grader like that on our line.

Also got a nice look at Hoese's run on 4th down. He went full bore into Maresh and knocked Sam over. Was probably the hit of the day, IMO.

Also got a nice look at Hoese's run on 4th down. He went full bore into Maresh and knocked Sam over. Was probably the hit of the day, IMO.

Big hit. This speaks to Hoese, not to Sam.

Team highlight - hardly any penalties!

No accident. Brew has officials at every practice for that very reason. You play like you practice.

Excellent point on the penalties....Guys who maybe unexpectedly stood out: Wills, Singleton, and Rallis. Rallis is worth mentioning for not dropping the int.
Stommes also, with limited exp., definitely looks the part at LT.

Cooper did well today on the 2nd team. Had 6-8 tackles and ran the field pretty well. I saw Sam Maresh get a couple tackles as well, although he did get run over by the FB in the 2nd half. But it was still great to see him on the field!

Although he wasn't flashy, Jay Thomas got some good carries with the 2nd team and that was great to see as well after all he's gone through.

From what I saw Cooper took more snaps with the 1st team than he did the 2nd team.

Stommes looked

Good in pass protection as did the entire 1st team offfensive line. On run plays, one pitch sweep to the left was bungled by Stommes didn't collapse the line, Bunders did not get around the corner, and the tightend failed to seal the defensive end. Result 2 maybe three yards.

Flash forward to the 4th Quarter and pitch sweep right was textbook. Wills drove the defensive tackle down the line into the other defensive tackle. Davis cut off the middle backer, Carufel cleared the end and was down field taking out either the safety or linebacker. Tow Arnett seal the end, and the result a power sweep TD. This should be a base play.

Bottom line, pound the rock was not in evidence at the scrimmage.

Top Bottom