Stadium - Was It a 5 piece Band? Volume Bad

watertown 1987 guy n

Reaction score
I sit in section 213 - 15 yard line, middle of upper level (over the right shoulder of the band) and was very disappointed in the volume of the sound from the band. The sound from their instruments is directed out across the field - it would be great if they could direct the sound up and back behind them as well w/ some speakers. The band provides so much energy it would be great if some of it reached us up their as well. Thanks

It was an alumni band, not the actual marching band... and a smaller version of the "real thing", at that. I thought it already sounded better than the metrodome and that was with the throw-together band. I heard them from my seats in 133 but also walked up around the rim of the top of the stadium and thought it sounded great from there too, despite the fact it was a smaller version of the actual marching band.

Yes, just wait until the full band is there. It will sound great, I have a feeling.

The band that was there....

The band that was at the scrimmage was just the marching band's leadership team (about 50) and the alumni band. This totaled up to be a little less than half the total size of the entire marching band. Once the full band is there we should be much louder and the sound should reach up there.

It was an alumni band, not the actual marching band... and a smaller version of the "real thing", at that. I thought it already sounded better than the metrodome and that was with the throw-together band. I heard them from my seats in 133 but also walked up around the rim of the top of the stadium and thought it sounded great from there too, despite the fact it was a smaller version of the actual marching band.

I'm in 246, as far away from the band as you can get. The only time I had issues was when the alumni band played the Rouser before the team ran onto the field at the start of the scrimmage. Other than that, I heard them just fine. I could see where it might be tougher in your corner though. But I wouldn't worry too much. The band that was playing Saturday was about half the size of the full band that will be playing at home games.

I sat up in 235 for a bit (after being in the student section I wanted to see how my regular folk tickets are and get pics). The band's front was basically even with my seats, so they were pointing 90 degrees away from me and I could hear them just fine. Keep in mind, as many have said, this band included about 80-100 musicians who probably haven't played an instrument in a while and/or don't remember the songs as well as they used to (not that the alumni band is bad - I just mean they aren't as fresh as the full 300 member thing).

I firmly believe there will be no problem hearing them on gameday, and using speakers will only add a bad echo and ruin a great sounding band.

Stop the bitching...
If hearing the band was priority #1 why did you select those seats? Why didn't you select where the main scoreboard is directly across from the band? It's your fault, not the bands.
Wait then your post would be about how you couldn't see the scoreboard.

GoGophers2005 - You're a putz! I'm there for the college game experience and if I have an issue others may as well. I'm not saying its the bands fault, I'm just describing my experience and hoped someone with better knowledge than me may have an explanation or there may be any easy fix. As for the seats, one reason I picked them was so I could see the large scoreboard. While visual aids were available during the seat selection, audio was not (for obvious reasons).

Are the small section groups gone forever?

You know the one's that used to travel around with the dance team and goldy in the Dome
and play different tunes and such. That was one of the best things about the Dome when they
used to have the smaller groups go around and play? It was one of the few times on the visitors side that you could actually tell we had a real band besides when you would hear them on the plaza. The sound is going to be pretty good on games days in TCF with the real band there I have no doubt about that. The alumni band members that were there were pretty small and the group of 50-60 instruments never sounds as loud as 300.

I don't think I am the putz here.....you went to a scrimmage that had the alumni band playing and took the time to come on here and complain that you couldn't hear them. I gave you a suggestion to how you could have heard them better if hearing a shorthanded alumni band was important to you.

How about wait for an actual game before taking the time to complain about something that might not be an actual problem?
That's just me though.

GoGophers2005 - You're a putz! I'm there for the college game experience and if I have an issue others may as well. I'm not saying its the bands fault, I'm just describing my experience and hoped someone with better knowledge than me may have an explanation or there may be any easy fix. As for the seats, one reason I picked them was so I could see the large scoreboard. While visual aids were available during the seat selection, audio was not (for obvious reasons).

+1

+2

I am in the top row in 212 and could hear them OK, but I know that once the entire band gets on the field it will be awesome!

Top Bottom