Stadium Expansion

SuperSenior13

Reaction score
I know when it was built, TCF had the capability of expanding to 80,000+ and had a desired timeline for doing so.

Does anyone have any kind of update on this? Not saying that they currently need it, was more just curious if there's been movement of any kind on the front.

I know when it was built, TCF had the capability of expanding to 80,000+ and had a desired timeline for doing so.

Does anyone have any kind of update on this? Not saying that they currently need it, was more just curious if there's been movement of any kind on the front.

I'm just guessing but the AD and Co are trying to sell maybe sell 45,000 before worrying about expansion?

facepalm

This used to come up all the time, maybe monthly and then it slowly but surely showed up less often as attendance dropped . Now that there has been two sellouts (dating back to 2015), here we go again.

This is my second post on stadium expansion today and hopefully the last time I will be sharing this same opinion for a while:

1. yes, stadium is expandable by potentially adding a third deck above north and east side of the current horseshoe. This supposedly can be done in 10K increments.

2. I doubt this will ever happen and that is not because of any doubt about the potential of Gopher football. Gopher football could be a regular visitor to the college playoff and the Rose Bowl and I still feel it is near the perfect size now. I simply think it is sized right for this market and most importantly, sized right for the changing landscape of spectator sports - where the majority of the money is in TV and attendance has been declining nationwide.

3. If sellouts became the norm over multiple seasons, I could see doing something modest like building permanent seating in the west end zone to bring capacity up into the 55,000 range, with maybe some more things like bar/club possibilities in all the space above the second deck.

At most add some temporary bleachers on the roof from time to time.

There is plenty of room up there.

Otherwise add hot tubs too.

I know there is a hiatus in things football to talk about but this topic has been beat like the proverbial dead horse.
When there is at least a five year waiting list for season tickets expansion might be considered.

facepalm

This used to come up all the time, maybe monthly and then it slowly but surely showed up less often as attendance dropped . Now that there has been two sellouts (dating back to 2015), here we go again.

This is my second post on stadium expansion today and hopefully the last time I will be sharing this same opinion for a while:

1. yes, stadium is expandable by potentially adding a third deck above north and east side of the current horseshoe. This supposedly can be done in 10K increments.

2. I doubt this will ever happen and that is not because of any doubt about the potential of Gopher football. Gopher football could be a regular visitor to the college playoff and the Rose Bowl and I still feel it is near the perfect size now. I simply think it is sized right for this market and most importantly, sized right for the changing landscape of spectator sports - where the majority of the money is in TV and attendance has been declining nationwide.

3. If sellouts became the norm over multiple seasons, I could see doing something modest like building permanent seating in the west end zone to bring capacity up into the 55,000 range, with maybe some more things like bar/club possibilities in all the space above the second deck.

Well with that attitude

The stadium is fine as-is. The university should be ready to build in 10 years if there's a demand.

LOL! How many of these occur within a year?

We don't want to have to print ROW THE BOAT SKI U MAH tarps for when things take a turn for the worse.

Please delete this thread.

If the stadium were expanded to 80,000 seats we'd have to endure threads about it constantly being 40% empty.

Too early. Period.

Let's get to the point that capacity plus standing room is the real deal for a number of years and then start to think about this.

Add 2000 seats in the plaza and keep them filled first...

Premature to represent progress.

When they expand it will they keep the heating Coyles?

Demolish Williams Arena/The Pav first. Start by throwing that gawd-awful white, raised floor through the wood chipper. Then get the biggest bulldozer you can find and drive it right through the concourse just so we can at least get a glimpse of what a modern concession/restroom area should look like.
What a dump. There, I said it.

Demolish Williams Arena/The Pav first. Start by throwing that gawd-awful white, raised floor through the wood chipper. Then get the biggest bulldozer you can find and drive it right through the concourse just so we can at least get a glimpse of what a modern concession/restroom area should look like.
p1VPSKM.gif

There's no question that Williams Arena is a detriment to Gopher Basketball recruiting. The place is a dump. Yeah, I know, but it's our dump. Time to move on ...

The Gophers would need to consistently sell out TCF Bank Stadium for many seasons, through thin years as well as ones like 2019, before any consideration should be given to expanding the stadium. Ultimately, I think just under 51,000 seats are fine for our needs. Any further expenditures on the stadium should go to improving the spectator experience and keeping team facilities at a first class level rather than adding capacity we don't need given how few games have come remotely close to selling out since the new stadium buzz evaporated when the team cratered in 2010.

Expand with a deck that cantilevers over the street so students can dump beers on cars with Wisconsin plates!

Top Bottom