Stadium Expansion...

Like others, I think it would be foolish to expand seating capacity. You're going to need the stadium itself to attract people as much as the product on the field over the decades to come. I would much rather they invest in 'expansion' ideas like additional lounge areas, patio space, etc. Places people can congregate outside of the very cramped concourses.

We had discussed the idea of an upper-deck end zone area, like Texas is doing. Seems like a better way to put money into the stadium.
311c2222-d49d-482e-be8f-7b54129ccdce_750x422.jpg

Or maybe a solar roof that keeps the sound in, like McLane.
image_handler.aspx

The rest of the conference has the whole massive bowl thing, let's do something a little different.
Totally agree with the idea similar to Texas in adding areas to congregate. The stadium needs to have things that will attract more 'common fans' other than just additional seating. Not saying it doesn't do that now, but that is what I'd rather see in some form of expansion.

Totally agree with the idea similar to Texas in adding areas to congregate. The stadium needs to have things that will attract more 'common fans' other than just additional seating. Not saying it doesn't do that now, but that is what I'd rather see in some form of expansion.

You can congregate ...

IN THE HOT TUBS!

A couple points on a couple suggestions that were brought up after I posted:

1. I agree, the TCF Bank concourse is too narrow. when it was built everyone said how much nicer it was going to be compared to the Metrodome because the concourse was twice as wide. they failed to mention there was a separate concourse for each deck at the Metrodome. so, the double wide concourse was exactly as crowded at a full game as it was in the half sized, but doubled up concourses at the dome.

2. Games at U.S. Bank Stadium? Gawd... please NO! With one exception: I'd be happy to go to a game at U.S. Bank Stadium if it was a "neutral site game" that did not replace any of the 7 regular home games. In fact, I'd be all over that and support that.

other problem with the concourse is that it doesn't go all the way around so you get to the open end and have to go down the stairs and through the open end and back up. The first expansion has to be adding to the upper level concourse concessions and restrooms

Well due to all the issues. Lets just build a new stadium. We're due for a new one here in the cities.

Let's do one thing at a time.

Big Ten West Title(s) (co-champs, check)
Big Ten Title(s)
National Championship(s)

Then, maybe we can talk about expansion.

Maybe 25 or 30 years from now when the Vikings start demanding a new stadium or they will leave for the Ukraine or Des Moines or Montgomery deep in the south, the GOPHER can just move into the vacant damn dome that stinks of nfl lack of loyalty a few miles down the road.

The GOPHER does NOT need a whole bunch of empty seats in the bank! Justforgedaboutit.

Re: Gate issues

Obviously the security staff is a large issue. I don't know how it's run, but better training/more staff would help here.

The other issue, I think, is uneven distribution of fans trying to enter the stadium. Every time this comes up someone chimes in "I entered at Gate *whatever* and was in in less than 5 minutes at the same time you entered". What could potentially solve this is an electronic sign at each entrance that listed the estimated wait times for entry at certain gates. That way, the people who don't care which gate they enter through can be distributed between the gates evenly and hopefully help the situation somewhat.

The other issue that can't be fixed, IMO, is not having enough gates to enter through. Memorial Stadium in Nebraska seats just under double what TCF seats, but had at least 3x as many entrances.

Top Bottom