Stadium Expansion...

Lol. Imagine the concourses with 30,000 more people.
Can you imagine trying to get into the stadium when the security gaurd with the metal detector spends 2 minutes on every person because he doesn't understand the concept of metal zippers? People that were in line for an hour at the Wisconsin game would be even more pissed if they had to stand in an immobile line for an hour and 45 minutes to get 30K more through the gate!

The only way I'd be somewhat ok with this is if they play a big opponent like WI did with LSU and will be doing with Notre Dame.
That would be great in my opinion. It might be the only way we could get a home-and-home with some big name opponents.

As far as Iowa and Wisconsin is concerned, I wouldn't be in favor of that unless they gave up their game with us, which they would never do anyway.

I think entry has gotten better. I got through the plaza middle gate in about 10 minutes for Penn St and Wisconsin despite coming in close to game time.

I think entry has gotten better. I got through the plaza middle gate in about 10 minutes for Penn St and Wisconsin despite coming in close to game time.
I had by far my worst experience since the stadium opened at the Wisconsin game, at Gate D. I spent over an HOUR in the security line and missed Wisconsin's entire first possession. It was maddening. I get it that this wasn't the case at every gate, but it was infuriating to have such a wildly different experience compared to the Penn State game, where I arrived at the exact same time/place and was in my seat in time for the entire band pregame show.

If you had been anywhere near gate D, you would be slapping yourself in your own face right now for saying "I think entry has gotten better."

Wisconsin was ridiculous. The line wasn't moving at all. Wisconsin fans couldn't believe how slow it was. I missed the kickoff.
I think they are good and bad entries. Middle plaza is consistently good, student section entrance is consistently good, entry on northwest corner consistently bad. Problem with Northwest entry is line gets so long and curls around that you can't see how much longer it is than other entries and by the time you can see, your close enough that switching won't help.

I think they are good and bad entries. Middle plaza is consistently good, student section entrance is consistently good, entry on northwest corner consistently bad. Problem with Northwest entry is line gets so long and curls around that you can't see how much longer it is than other entries and by the time you can see, your close enough that switching won't help.
US Bank stadium has the same issues.

Folks walk up and see a line and are all "man better get in line" meanwhile there's an entrance here or there where nobody is there ...

And they were not there for any other game either. An expansion would be a disaster. Season ticket sales will increase by maybe 2500 at best after this year.
expansion as of right now or in the next 5 years, yes probably a disaster. Further down the road, who knows.

I didn't read through this all so sorry if this was already mentioned but if they are going to do anything they should just open up more standing room only. I don't think there will be a need for 10k seats anytime soon yet alone 30k

So one of the joys of working over nights when its -10 degrees out side in public safety you get a lot of down time to cruise the interwebs, not sure what brought me down this road tonight but I came across this gem of an article from back when PJ was first hired. It talks about his vision for the team and stadium in general and curious what others think now that things he is talking about are starting to happen....

"Fleck’s vision is that the Gophers would add 30,000 more seats to TCF Bank Stadium, which would put them in between the likes of Nebraska’s Memorial Stadium (86,047 capacity) and Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (80,321 capacity).
Even Iowa, which consistently sells out games, has a capacity of 70,585 at Kinnick Stadium.

Fleck said that in order to make that jump, Minnesota will have to get fans that don’t care about football to commit to regularly attending games."

Far as I know this is still a pipe dream as they are still trying to get those last few dollars found to help pay for the most recent upgrades to the Athletic Village. However if we are able to roll off several more 8, 9, 10+ seasons and a couple of west titles out right I could see the drum slowly start to be beat for this to happen.

On that note, does anyone have any drawings of what an expanded Stadium might look like should that time ever come?

Does that design have a roof?

How long until we see the "Minnesota Fans Clamoring for Stadium Expansion!" articles ;)
I’m looking forward to a day that we do. I love our stadium as it is, truly I do. There’s this part of me though that just really wants to see what 80,000 fans in maroon and gold would look like at TCF. I want to know what that noise level would sound like. Imagine the noise at the Penn State game, and then almost double that. Imagine 80,000 gold towels waving.

Lol. Imagine the concourses with 30,000 more people.
If we added 30,000 seats, we would add another full-fledged concourse. That would actually help with crowding because it would split the crowd into 2 concourses. Having said that, I really don't see the day we would ever add 30,000 seats. Maybe 10-15,000. But if that means adding another enclosed concourse with concessions and facilities, I'd be for it.

I'm surprised at everyone's issues with getting in in a timely matter. I got in line to enter the stadium at the Student Entrance about 45 minutes prior to kickoff and was inside in under 5 minutes. I waited in line for the bathroom immediately after that and that took longer.

I'm wondering if some of it could be solved via distribution of fans entering? If every entrance had a screen by it that said the wait times at other doors people may be willing to distribute more evenly and that may alleviate some of the issue.

I'm surprised at everyone's issues with getting in in a timely matter. I got in line to enter the stadium at the Student Entrance about 45 minutes prior to kickoff and was inside in under 5 minutes. I waited in line for the bathroom immediately after that and that took longer.

I'm wondering if some of it could be solved via distribution of fans entering? If every entrance had a screen by it that said the wait times at other doors people may be willing to distribute more evenly and that may alleviate some of the issue.

I was at that entrance early too for the PSU and had no problems entering. It was fun watching the raucous students as they entered the stadium. I felt at that moment this was going to be a very special experience.

I can’t decide which idea is worse, expanding TCF or having a regular season game at Dead Bird Stadium instead of TCF. Too close to call.

I don't think they should have Gopher games in US Bank stadium.

But let's not pretend that USB isn't an incredible football facility. It is by far the nicest football stadium I've been to. Vikings games consistently have an atmosphere that Gophers games can only dream of, save the Penn St game this year.

Sorry but that is so cheap looking, compared to how well and "done right" the rest of the stadium is. That looks like a Central Florida "slap it on after the fact" cheap addition. Would rather raise ticket prices, in my opinion.

Last raising of ticket prices really helped attendance

I don't think they should have Gopher games in US Bank stadium.

But let's not pretend that USB isn't an incredible football facility. It is by far the nicest football stadium I've been to. Vikings games consistently have an atmosphere that Gophers games can only dream of, save the Penn St game this year.
Really...are you a Gopher Fan or just a pretender? We don't need negative 'f*cks like you'....Viking games are a better atmosphere? Hmmmm....comparing college to pro. Is that even intelligent?

How many other college game days have you been to? Have you been to a game at Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, etc.? Our Penn State atmosphere was great. For us, very great. And that is what we need. But, until you have been to these other places you probably don't know what we are up against.
I have been to Penn St and Notre Dame...I stand by what I previously posted. Have you been there?

I have been to Penn St and Notre Dame...I stand by what I previously posted. Have you been there?
The most disappointed I’ve ever been was at Notre Dame vs BC under Charlie Weiss. I’ve been two other times as well that we’re better but it was way overrated. Funny how they said they’d never have artificial turf.

looking forward to being in Philly for Army / Navy this weekend!

I have been to Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State and every other Big Ten games except Rutgers and Penn State, I have also seen another 35 stadia not on game day. Ohio State was the best game day, crowd, ambiance and surrounding football feel. Our game against Penn State, IMHO, was 7 compared to the Ohio State 10. Though our 7 was better than anything I have seen at the U in my 54 years as an adult fan. That game was a dream come true for me, but if you haven't been to Ohio State and seen it, felt it, walked around it, you havn't. Notre Dame is much the same. Iowa can be an 8, Madison an 8+. IMHO. All we can ever be is the best "us" we can be for now. PSU was that.

Last edited:

Adding 30,000 seats is not necessary. You need something to bring people to the stadium besides a great game. Adding a club level like the home side that has non game day revenue is the way to go. A level of 10,000 seats would be all you really need. A couple of restaurants and brew pubs and you are all set.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last raising of ticket prices really helped attendance
Can't do this regardless of what we do. I agree raising prices is a joke. With all the choices in the Twin Cities I say leave TCF the way it is. If we sell out etc. , we won't have to spend as much on advertising, creating mailers and so forth. Also eliminates people as we won't need people to do that.

Sure we may sell out for 5 years or so, imagine that. Then maybe a decline for whatever reason, economy, or something else. Then we have a big elephant on our hands. Worth it? No. I'm all for keeping the stadium for the size we have.

Would a seat in the 3rd deck of the end zone be a good seat? I wouldn't think so. There are no bad seats in TCF today, so why build one. Add the 3rd deck only between the end zones.

You do not make such a major decision based on two games this season.
The prior AD made a disastrous decision severely raising ticket prices based on one good season. We all know how that turned out.
I believe WI increased capacity after two or three Rose Bowl appearances. That was prudent for there was a waiting list for season tickets according to what I read.

Top Bottom