Stadium concerns addressed

gopherfield

Reaction score
In case you haven't seen this Gopher sports communication e-mail yet:

Gopher Football Fans-
Intercollegiate athletics has received many comments and suggestions following the inaugural game at TCF Bank Stadium last Saturday. We appreciate hearing the experiences of our fans and have been able to identify four primary areas that will be addressed for game 2 on September 19 vs. Cal.

1. Entry Gates: At times, lines were extraordinarily long, which caused some wait times to exceed 30 minutes to enter the game. While we do not expect to completely eliminate lines we will work to ensure that wait times are significantly reduced. The following will be employed this weekend:

All gates will open 2 hours in advance of kick-off, 30 minutes prior to last week's opening time.
Two additional gates will be opened on the east end of the stadium, one for students and another for general public.
Additional staff will present at each gate, allowing for a more efficient process.
Another "express lane" will be added for those fans with special needs or without bags.
All season ticket holders will receive an email indicating which gate they should enter, which should eliminate unexpected crowds at random gates.

2. Concessions: Fans have provided valuable feedback about their experience at our concession stands. Comments have included long lines, food shortage, and menu items. Aramark will:

Add portables on the 400 level (top of the upper bowl) that includes beverages, hot dogs and other snacks.
Add another portable on the west plaza that will serve beverages, hot dogs and other snacks.
Employ more than double the number of "hawkers" (19 last week - 50 this week) to walk the stadium bowl. Hawkers will sell beverages, hot dogs, ice cream, popcorn and peanuts.
Add portables on the main concourse and stage lines parallel to these stands vs. perpendicular.
Ensure adequate food storage to supply concession stands.

3. TCF Bank Stadium Shuttle: Feedback has been very positive regarding pre-game shuttle service and traffic. Post-game shuttle service back to St. Paul saw longer waits and congested lines. For the St. Paul (Fairgrounds) shuttle we will:

Add buses to this route and all buses will have multiple doors for quick loading.
Close the adjacent roadway (23rd Avenue) to exiting vehicle traffic between 6th Street and 4th Street to remove pedestrian and vehicle conflicts in the area.
Add better signage on site and additional staff that will allow for more orderly loading and waiting areas.
Add disability-only shuttle service for those with additional needs at a different location (stadium side of 23rd Avenue by the bus shelter).

4. Noise: Interestingly we have received conflicting feedback about the ability to hear the PA system, both inside and outside the stadium. Some fans have indicated that they felt the PA was very loud in the stadium and others commented that they had a difficult time hearing. Neighborhood feedback has been similar in that some areas were much more impacted than others. Many variables go into this and we will continue to monitor the situation this weekend and throughout the remainder of the season.

Thanks for your support of Gopher Football!

Good of them to address this stuff. My biggest issue was trying to get out of the Oak Street ramp as it took almost 45 minutes. They could really use some traffic direction at the exit and at Huron.

Notice that they didn't mention the lack of cash registers at concession stands....they don't even acknowledge that anybody complained about it. *ugh* I emailed them about that issue back after the 8/22 dry run / scrimmage...and nothing was done about it. Even the concession workers told me this was going to be a HUGE problem and nothing was being done about it.

Notice that they didn't mention the lack of cash registers at concession stands....they don't even acknowledge that anybody complained about it. *ugh* I emailed them about that issue back after the 8/22 dry run / scrimmage...and nothing was done about it. Even the concession workers told me this was going to be a HUGE problem and nothing was being done about it.

Dude, its not changing because Aramark is cheap. I can see where they might not want to tack that onto an e-mail that is listing the positive changes they are making. I think reducing the pressure on the main stands with more options for fans and adding more staff should help a great deal. Will it be enough? I guess we'll have to see.

One thing I'd like to point out to everyone about last week. Put yourself in the cashier's shoes. HUGE lines waiting for food you're running out of and won't have any of soon. Plus you don't have food runners like you should. You think that it might be a bit stressful and perhaps it might make you take longer to handle the cash then normal?

I'm comfortable giving it one more week to work itself out. If the people behind the counter still can't handle things then I'm hopeful the U will apply more pressure on Aramark for a POS system.

Wow 19 hawkers last week for 50000 people, there are 98 sections in the stadium. I am shocked that didn't work better.........

Good of them to address this stuff. My biggest issue was trying to get out of the Oak Street ramp as it took almost 45 minutes. They could really use some traffic direction at the exit and at Huron.

If you're parking in a ramp you have to expect a long wait to get out. Hundreds of cars leaving at once is going to be congested there isn't really any way around that. The same thing happens at the Science Museum Ramp after Wild games over in St. Paul, it's just a part of the deal that comes with parking in a ramp.

If you're parking in a ramp you have to expect a long wait to get out. Hundreds of cars leaving at once is going to be congested there isn't really any way around that. The same thing happens at the Science Museum Ramp after Wild games over in St. Paul, it's just a part of the deal that comes with parking in a ramp.

Unless you do what I did... spend that time instead of sitting in your car breathing fumes, spend it at Sterbs or Sally's beer garden breating in the fresh aroma of Hops and malts and enjoying the eye candy....

You apparently have never parked in Oak St. ramp for a sporting event before. It has always been a disaster. Unfortunately, you made a terrible parking choice. I'd switch to something else next year if I were you.

Top Bottom