Stack the Box, Make Stave throw.

CycloneGopher

Reaction score
Everybody is asking how can we stop Wisconsin's rushing game. I say why not do what Ohio State did. Ohio State has some play makers on D but overall they have been fairly mediocre. Against Wisconsin, Ohio State stacked the box and Wisconsin only rushed for a little over 100yds. They made Stave and their receivers beat them and Stave had a decent game but Wisconsin lost the game. Let our DBs get out their and prove themselves in one on one coverage, our biggest chance to get turnovers is through intercepting Stave.

I agree to a certain extent. The problem with stacking the box is if someone isn't in their gap then Wisconsin has a better chance of breaking a long one. Vikings fans have seen it before with Peterson. Safety play is going to be huge in this game. If they tackle well, potential 50, 60, or 70 yard runs end up only being 10-15 yards.

I have no problem with our DBs playing on an island and giving up 1-2 long TDs if it means we can play better against the run.

We've left the db's alone on coverage before this year I believe. I think they can handle it.

I think Murray and Vereen can handle Abrederis and outside of him their other receivers are much like ours...Unproven..and to this point so is Stave. His numbers aren't terrible but no quarterbacks numbers would be if you have 2 -1,000 yd backs to hand off too. Put pressure on Stave to win the game not their RB's.

We've left the db's alone on coverage before this year I believe. I think they can handle it.

They've done it a lot actually. I think we will do this on defense, especially with the cold conditions. The ball will be harder to throw when it is that far below freezing.

I've always wanted to use this. Our defensive line should have this mentality right now. Ski-u-mah

Switch to a 4-4 or maintain a 4-3 with a safety in the box. Force them to go laterally and not get a head of steam. Make Stave beat us which gives us a chance.

At this point, I'm pretty comfortable with Murray and Vereen playing press man and stacking the box. Last time the staff had a couple of weeks to look at film, they did ok. I'm excited to see what they've cooked up for tomorrow.

I agree to a certain extent. The problem with stacking the box is if someone isn't in their gap then Wisconsin has a better chance of breaking a long one. Vikings fans have seen it before with Peterson. Safety play is going to be huge in this game. If they tackle well, potential 50, 60, or 70 yard runs end up only being 10-15 yards.
Agreed.

Switch to a 4-4 or maintain a 4-3 with a safety in the box. Force them to go laterally and not get a head of steam. Make Stave beat us which gives us a chance.

They are really good going laterally.

If we stack the box I'd be afraid of the jet sweep. Our DE's and OLB's would have to play fundamentally sound and stay in their gaps, something that they haven't been extrememly consistent at this season. But that might be a lesser evil than putting seven in the box and letting Gordan and White run all day on us.

One thing I know is, we are not the first team to say "stack the box and make Stave beat us" this year. Hasn't turned out all that great for most of the other teams.

Stack the box, don't stack the box. Show stack and don't, don't show and do. We are going to have to get this thing with smoke and mirrors and Claeys calling the game of his life.

Stack the box, don't stack the box. Show stack and don't, don't show and do. We are going to have to get this thing with smoke and mirrors and Claeys calling the game of his life.

This, were going to have to show looks like were bringing the kitchen sink and switch it up and drop out of it, but not do the obvious. I say we cannot bring both Saftey's there has to be someone on the back side to prevent the bomb or the explosive play. The key isn't bringing everyone up, it is shutting off the motion of the fullback Watt and the tight end Pederson before they get to the next level. You have to play in there backfield which is not an easy thing to do. If Cockaran for example beats his man off the edge he cannot go to wide and take himself out of the play he is going to have to be able close down the line and help in the run game.
Play your safties and linebackers tight to the line and it is game over, White or Gordon will be going to the house. Those Safety's have to be free to hit the backs early and they need to do it before they get a burst and a cut back. Believe it or not I fully expect Wisconsin to come out with some play action early in the game and try to hit us early with a few long passes to Aberderis. They are going to do plenty of running early in the game don't get me wrong I expectthem to establish the run but they will try and catch us with the guard down when it is unexpected. They have burned us with the toss back flee flicker and screen game, and the tight end hitch and go route far to many times to think there not going to throw the ball at all. They might not need to but I expect some trickeration out of them too.

This, were going to have to show looks like were bringing the kitchen sink and switch it up and drop out of it, but not do the obvious. I say we cannot bring both Saftey's there has to be someone on the back side to prevent the bomb or the explosive play. The key isn't bringing everyone up, it is shutting off the motion of the fullback Watt and the tight end Pederson before they get to the next level. You have to play in there backfield which is not an easy thing to do. If Cockaran for example beats his man off the edge he cannot go to wide and take himself out of the play he is going to have to be able close down the line and help in the run game.
Play your safties and linebackers tight to the line and it is game over, White or Gordon will be going to the house. Those Safety's have to be free to hit the backs early and they need to do it before they get a burst and a cut back. Believe it or not I fully expect Wisconsin to come out with some play action early in the game and try to hit us early with a few long passes to Aberderis. They are going to do plenty of running early in the game don't get me wrong I expectthem to establish the run but they will try and catch us with the guard down when it is unexpected. They have burned us with the toss back flee flicker and screen game, and the tight end hitch and go route far to many times to think there not going to throw the ball at all. They might not need to but I expect some trickeration out of them too.

If we stack the box, I would expect a steady diet of passes to Pederson. Another one of those sneaky good Badger TEs in the mold of Daniels, Beckum, and Kendrick.

Stack the box and maintain gap responsibility. If a DE or LB tries to do too much, we will give up big plays.

I get that scheming is important, and that having the wrong scheme against a team like this will be the end of the game...

... but even with the correct defensive scheme, execution is paramount. I've seen good running teams face defenses who know exactly what they need to do, but are unable to get off blocks and tackle effectively. Hopefully in addition to excellent positioning, we don't let a missed tackle result in a big play. That's my concern.

Go Gophers.

Top Bottom