St. Thomas men’s basketball could build a perennial winner at the D-I level … with mostly local athletes

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Jace:

It is only natural to think programs reclassifying programs will struggle early as they acclimate to a new, higher level with stiffer competition, a fluctuating roster and a new way of life.

In that way, St. Thomas men’s basketball will probably be no different. Come 2021, when the program moves up to Division I and into the Summit League, the Tommies will take a roster featuring some players who just competed in a Division III season and pit it against some of the toughest tests the NCAA has to offer.

There will be some early bumps. But don’t expect the transitional period to take too long — not for this program.

Go Gophers!!

No NCAA post season until 2025-26 season seems like a rule that needs some adjustment. If you qualify you qualify...come on.
There are lots of factors to recruiting but that’ll make it tougher.
Eventually, no doubt they’ll be good. Good school, good location.

per Jace:

It is only natural to think programs reclassifying programs will struggle early as they acclimate to a new, higher level with stiffer competition, a fluctuating roster and a new way of life.

In that way, St. Thomas men’s basketball will probably be no different. Come 2021, when the program moves up to Division I and into the Summit League, the Tommies will take a roster featuring some players who just competed in a Division III season and pit it against some of the toughest tests the NCAA has to offer.

There will be some early bumps. But don’t expect the transitional period to take too long — not for this program.

Go Gophers!!
I do enjoy that he cites that using Minnesota as their only recruiting grounds that they could be successful. He does realize that you, in large part, slice off anyone from the top 100 and by and large it really doesn't matter where they're from as they're going to have a wider array of offers. After that, go look at last years 247 class from Minnesota. The commits go to Gonzaga, Marquette, Baylor, WI, UNC and Cinci. In what world are any of those guys going to UST? The year behind that you had guys ranked 448, 408, and 259 go to NDSU, Colorado State, and Denver. I get the whole citing that MN has had some really top flight kids the last few years. However, I'm sorry, they aren't coming to UST. You are looking at mid-tier or under the radar guys to go there and the hot bed of recruiting that MN has become may actually hurt that as you aren't going to have as many guys not get noticed here anymore.

Ok, rant over.

I do enjoy that he cites that using Minnesota as their only recruiting grounds that they could be successful. He does realize that you, in large part, slice off anyone from the top 100 and by and large it really doesn't matter where they're from as they're going to have a wider array of offers. After that, go look at last years 247 class from Minnesota. The commits go to Gonzaga, Marquette, Baylor, WI, UNC and Cinci. In what world are any of those guys going to UST? The year behind that you had guys ranked 448, 408, and 259 go to NDSU, Colorado State, and Denver. I get the whole citing that MN has had some really top flight kids the last few years. However, I'm sorry, they aren't coming to UST. You are looking at mid-tier or under the radar guys to go there and the hot bed of recruiting that MN has become may actually hurt that as you aren't going to have as many guys not get noticed here anymore.

Ok, rant over.
You are exactly right. St Thomas is not getting anyone who has a hint of going to a high level D1. They have the ability to be competitive at their level and it will be over hyped by the local sports media.

No NCAA post season until 2025-26 season seems like a rule that needs some adjustment. If you qualify you qualify...come on.
There are lots of factors to recruiting but that’ll make it tougher.
Eventually, no doubt they’ll be good. Good school, good location.
I think it's to prevent schools from moving to DI that have no hope or even desire to ever compete for a spot in the tournament, and just move up to get a piece of March Madness money. Something like that. Not saying it's a great rule.

You are exactly right. St Thomas is not getting anyone who has a hint of going to a hhigh level D1. They have the ability to be competitive at their level and it will be over hyped by the local sports media.
Woah? You’re saying that the local media is going to play up second tier Minnesota guys going to a Minnesota school and having success?

next thing you know they’ll start covering high school sports and the state fair too

Top Bottom