St. Johns-Rutgers

Monty519

Reaction score
Anybody watch that ending....what in the world....???????

WOW Rutgers just got *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ed hardcore

Is it Big East officials or outside conference officials? I would assume BE. They sucked regardless!

Some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. Foul on the shot by Rutgers, over the back after the free throw, foul on the catch on the last inbounds, AND out of bounds/travel with 1.7 seconds. Unbelievable.

He stepped out with like 2 seconds left, WOW, that's absolutely ridiculous and should NEVER happen in a basketball game. Those refs need to be punished. Let alone the fact they made more than one bad call down the stretch, IMO.

Yes, that was laughably bad. I cannot believe that these officials could get off the hook for that.

I know two of those refs, Jim Burr and Tim Higgins, often officiate Big Ten games. Unreal. I thought refs not going to the monitor to check end-of-game clock issues ended 20 years ago when Lethal Weapon 3 and GT beat MSU with the help of a buzzer-beater that was after the buzzer.

The over/under was (I think) 128.5. Final score: 65-63 (128). Conspiracy much?

I know two of those refs, Jim Burr and Tim Higgins, often officiate Big Ten games. Unreal. I thought refs not going to the monitor to check end-of-game clock issues ended 20 years ago when Lethal Weapon 3 and GT beat MSU with the help of a buzzer-beater that was after the buzzer.

I think that GT/MSU game was the regional semi-final in 1990. The winner got the right to play MN in the Elite 8. Maybe if MSU had won we would have made a Final Four 7 years earlier and that still counts.

I think that GT/MSU game was the regional semi-final in 1990. The winner got the right to play MN in the Elite 8. Maybe if MSU had won we would have made a Final Four 7 years earlier and that still counts.

Except that State was pretty good that year, too. Going from memory, I think they beat us at Williams Arena in the conference season finale.

1.9 sec

I paused the video as soon as he stepped out of bounds and got 1.9 seconds. Probably traveled earlier but would have been a delay from travel to whistle. Weird ending.

I can forgive everything that happened up to the time that he stepped out of bounds with the ball.

I think the reason why they didn't go to the monitor was that nobody blew the whistle. If there's a stoppage late, they go to the monitor to check the time. Otherwise, no whistle, no look at the monitor.

Proves to us refs that you have to ref hard all the way to the horn, and PARTICULARLY in a close game like this!

Except that State was pretty good that year, too. Going from memory, I think they beat us at Williams Arena in the conference season finale.

Yes, and they were the #1 seed. However, we also beat them on their court that year.

Refs are generally terrible. This is no different than the 10-20 missed calls that they usually make in the course of a game. The difference being this was on national TV in a close game near the end.

Refs are generally terrible. This is no different than the 10-20 missed calls that they usually make in the course of a game. The difference being this was on national TV in a close game near the end.

This was different because it was so obvious and bad that the person sitting in row ZZ of the upper deck could have made the call.

That is true of a ton of calls every game. Yes the bad officiating there may have cost Rutgers a shot at 2 points and OT. But I can pretty much assure you that if I went back and watched the tape, I could find other instances in the game where the officials cost both teams points. It only gets noticed more because it is at the end of the game.

Officiating sucks donkey balls.
I think that my favorite chant at sporting events is "Refs under seventy" clap-clap clap-clap-clap

This brings to mind probably the worst ref decision I've ever seen in College. It was a UCLA woman's game from about 12 years ago during the NCAA tournament. I believe it was against Alabama. UCLA was ahead with, i think 1 second left and Alabama inbounding it on the far side. Basically they needed to heave the ball the length of the court and put up a quick shot.

First blunder was the Alabama player running the baseline. She shouldn't have been allowed to that since they this was the second attempt to inbound. That should have ended the game.

Second blunder, the ball was inbounded, the Alabama player caught the ball , turned and took several dribbles and then put in the winning shot. The clock never started once the lady caught the ball. I think the whole play took like three seconds.

This was one game where they really should have been able to change or redo the outcome.

Yes, this is different. A lot of "the 10-20 missed calls" are probably bang-bang plays or toss-up block/charge calls that you happen to disagree with. Those calls are not a guy jogging out of bounds and chucking the ball into the stands with 2 seconds left on the clock without getting whistled. That series of calls (or non-calls, more appropriately) was absolutely terrible and indefensible.

Also, on a related note, did anybody catch the Northern Colorado/Montana game tonight? I thought that was some of the most horribly one-sided officiating I have ever seen. Those refs pretty much handed the Big Sky title to Northern Colorado.

That is true of a ton of calls every game. Yes the bad officiating there may have cost Rutgers a shot at 2 points and OT. But I can pretty much assure you that if I went back and watched the tape, I could find other instances in the game where the officials cost both teams points. It only gets noticed more because it is at the end of the game.

I think that my favorite chant at sporting events is "Refs under seventy" clap-clap clap-clap-clap

I think everyone can agree that the last few possessions of the game are by far the most important and therefore the ones where bad officiating makes the most difference. If you watched the last few possessions of the game, it was clear that Rutgers got screwed by the refs. First a Rutgers player drives the lane, tries to put up a shot and is fouled (the defender did not maintain "verticality" and hit the shooter on the arms) but the refs swallowed their whistle until Rutgers fouled the rebounder. Then on the other end, a St. John's player practically tackles a Rutgers player while going over his back, and the refs call no foul (which probably would've resulted in FTs for Rutgers since it would've been a loose ball foul) and award the ball to St. John's, at which point St. John's loses the ball out of bounds so finally something goes Rutgers' way, but then they fail to execute the halfcourt pass and St. John's is allowed to travel out of bounds with the ball before time expires.

Not sure about that, but they were the #1 seed in the regional. We were #11. Clearly I'm not saying it's likely we'd have won. But given we lost to GT by 2, it's certainly possible.

In addition to what's been said, a HUGE factor that makes this truly appalling IMO, is the fact that they basically quit refereeing the game with like 4 seconds left. After that pass when awry, they quit. That is absolutely unacceptable and is far worse than just making bad calls. They were pretty much walking off the court and putting a wrap on the thing, meanwhile missing out on blatant violations that could have altered the outcome. Just ridiculous.

Big east refs are a bunch of conspirators. Lets deliberately hand the game to the team we want to win so they can get a better seed in the ncaa tournament and not look bad on national tv. First objective: accomplished. second: not so much.

Not sure about that, but they were the #1 seed in the regional. We were #11. Clearly I'm not saying it's likely we'd have won. But given we lost to GT by 2, it's certainly possible.

We were a #6 seed. We beat UTEP, Northern Iowa, and Syracue to get to the Elite 8. We were #11 the previous year. Both us and MSU won on each other's home courts that year. They beat us in OT on senior day. It was painful.

Obviously, the 3rd game would have been a tossup.

Also, on a related note, did anybody catch the Northern Colorado/Montana game tonight? I thought that was some of the most horribly one-sided officiating I have ever seen. Those refs pretty much handed the Big Sky title to Northern Colorado.

I saw this, and thought the reffing was terrible (especially the block/charge on NCU's star PG at the end). Refs are bad enough, to put conference tourney games at a home school's gym instead of a neutral site usually makes it worse. Despite spanking UW-M, Butler had some very ticky-tack calls against them, and if you consider Madison Square Garden to be SJU's home that's quite a games where late calls help the home school.

A trend which should make the Gophers playing NWU in Chicago concerning, except I'm guessing Northwestern might not travel that well for a Thursday afternoon game.

We were a #6 seed. We beat UTEP, Northern Iowa, and Syracue to get to the Elite 8. We were #11 the previous year. Both us and MSU won on each other's home courts that year. They beat us in OT on senior day. It was painful.

Obviously, the 3rd game would have been a tossup.

You're right. I had 1989 and 1990 mixed up.

A trend which should make the Gophers playing NWU in Chicago concerning, except I'm guessing Northwestern might not travel that well for a Thursday afternoon game.

That and the fact that the game's in Indy. ;) But even if it were in Chicago, I think the crowd would be 10% Gopher fans, 10% NW fans 40% neutural and 50% dressed as empty seats. About the same as it will be in Indy.

Top Bottom