SS: The Road to Selection Sunday: An A to Z Look at Week 1 of the College Basketball

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
An awesome read as usual from SelectionSunday:

Way back when, one of the things Sesame Street taught me was to learn my ABC's. So with the 2011-12 college basketball season now on our front doorstep, here's what to look for in Week 1 (and beyond) as we begin our trek toward Selection Sunday and March Madness.

A is for Army @ Air Force (8:30 p.m. Friday/CBS College Sports), the "headliner" in the inaugural All-Military Classic, which also features The Citadel and VMI.

B is for Beast, Trevor Mbakwe, that is. It's not very often the Gophers boast a preseason 2nd-team All-American (Blue Ribbon College Yearbook). Folks, enjoy watching "The Beast" work in and around the paint.

To read it all...:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1536

Well done, and a fun/interesting read. Good job Selection Sunday.

M

Hodger, another job well done.

I would add under the M that Monson has scheduled a whopper of a non con schedule for LBS, per an article on CBS, I think. It is a schedule I long for as a Gopher fan. He says it is the Gonzaga formula, in which a strong NC schedule gives you a sniff of an at-large if the conference tournament goes awry like it has for them the last two years.

Thanks Holy Man.

Yes, Monson has another difficult nonconference slate. It includes @ Pitt, @ Louisville, @ Kansas, @ North Carolina and vs. Xavier in the Diamond Head Classic. If they win any of those games that would be quite an accomplishment. That's the rub. Their nonconference strength of schedule will help their RPI, but they still need to win 1 or 2 of those and/or perform well at the Diamond Head Classic (which also includes Clemson, Auburn, K-State & UTEP -- a decent, but not great field), not to mention dominate the Big West. At the very least LBSU will be battle tested if it reaches the NCAA.

Haha. My favorite was the part about the Big Ten restaurant subs. I can't remember having another sub with as much lettuce (as far as lettuce to sandwich ratio) anywhere else.

The Big Ten does pile on the lettuce. It's my only quibble with their subs, but I can just take off the extra lettuce (by the handful) so not a big deal.

Top Bottom