Spurrier: SEC Division Champs based on Division Record instead of Conference Record

FireDaveLee

Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...rrier-sec-change/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

Interesting thought and wonder if something could ever happen with the Big Ten.

I'm sure Ohio State & Penn State would be all for it since they play Michigan & Nebraska every year while Wisconsin gets us!

I see a downside in that it seems like two 6 team conferences instead of the Big Ten.

Going to 9 Big Ten games in a few years may balance things a little more, but interesting idea to throw out there by Spurrier.

I like the Ole' Ball Coach, but what's the point of having divisions if the division record takes precedent over the conference record? Bottom line with conferences with divisional play is not all conference schedules are created equal. Sometimes you get the short end of the stick, sometimes you get a favorable draw. See Wisconsin last season (no Michigan).

If you do that, then the division essentially becomes its own conference, and games against the other division become non-conference games. You can do that if you want, but it would seem to make the conference irrelevant.

I like the Ole' Ball Coach, but what's the point of having divisions if the division record takes precedent over the conference record? Bottom line with conferences with divisional play is not all conference schedules are created equal. Sometimes you get the short end of the stick, sometimes you get a favorable draw. See Wisconsin last season (no Michigan).

It's a good point; not that the NFL is the end all, be all for what should be done in college football, but the Vikings & Packers play the same AFC opponents & NFC west opponents, but the Vikes play the 4th place teams in the other NFC divisions (Tampa & Washington) while the Packers play the 1st place teams in the other NFC divisions (NY Giants & New Orleans). All schedules are not meant to be the same & there will always be some with easier schedules than others.

I'm surprised Spurrier didn't just want to count home games.

Top Bottom