Spurrier Retires Effective Immediately

GopherRock

GopherHole Straw Boss
Reaction score
Breaking. Multiple sources reporting...

wow what a crazy day!!

Not a good day for college football.

I hope he heads to the other USC so I can hate both of them even more.

Poor guy. Has to spend more time at Augusta now.

Sick? Tired? Bored? Scandal? What are the Internets reporting?

At his age, to retire this suddenly, gotta worry about his health or someone very close to him.

This summer at the SEC Media Day, he disdainfully dismissed the question of retirement in the immediate future or ever. Maybe he is realizing he has taken that program as far as it can go.

He's a pretty proud man...he's never had a losing college football season. They probably only have 2 more possible wins on their schedule and at 2 and 4 are not likely to go to a bowl game. But still, quitting is very rarely ever the right answer. Sorry to see him end his career in a sad fashion. Spurrier On Nick Saban: “He's got a nice little gig going, a little bit like [John] Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you're going to be a first-round pick and go.' If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they've always won there at Alabama.”

He's a pretty proud man...he's never had a losing college football season. They probably only have 2 more possible wins on their schedule and at 2 and 4 are not likely to go to a bowl game. But still, quitting is very rarely ever the right answer. Sorry to see him end his career in a sad fashion. Spurrier On Nick Saban: “He's got a nice little gig going, a little bit like [John] Calipari. He tells guys, ‘Hey, three years from now, you're going to be a first-round pick and go.' If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they've always won there at Alabama.

Tell that to Mike Shula and Mike Dubose.

Seriously though, weird day indeed.

"If he wants to be the greatest coach or one of the greatest coaches in college football, to me, he has to go somewhere besides Alabama and win, because they've always won there at Alabama.”

A. False
B. Apparently the OBC is forgetting that Saban won at MSU and LSU as well, even winning a national title at the latter. Those grapes sure are sour.

CFB just got a little less fun. One of the last true characters left.

My post and my point with the Spurrier quote

was to answer why did he retire 6 games into the season? My answer was he is a very proud man without a losing season in college football. The Saban quote, to me, illustrates that opinion of him and himself and demonstrates his unwillingness to credit most anyone but himself as an excellent coach or as the "ol' ball coach" and he'd correct that to the "head ball coach" if somebody else said it. Very proud, very thin skinned.

In my opinion, sustaining excellence like Saban has done at Alabama is harder than rising from the bottom to respectability for a season or two. For example, everybody says Michigan was a dumpster fire under Hoke. Harbaugh has them back on top in most people's minds. That wasn't that difficult for him. Keeping Michigan in the top 10 year after year is going to be way harder than getting there this season imo. Saban has proven his abilities to me.

im guessing a skeleton is gonna fall out of the closet soon

im guessing a skeleton is gonna fall out of the closet soon

I think Spurrier is the kinda guy who would expose that skeleton himself - knowing it would come out anyway. IMO, it is much more likely to be health or family related.

Too bad. What he did as a coach is incredible. One of a kind. I'll miss him.

Top Bottom