GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Spring Practice Quotes from Gophers Tracy Claeys and Antonio Johnson
By Alex Van Abbema

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/489969?referrer_id=

Notes of the day:

Unofficial 2015 starter Rodrick Williams got loose for a 60 yard touchdown run during scrimmage.

Former Gophers David Cobb, Cameron Botticelli, Donnell Kirkwood, and Derrick Wells were at practice today.

Antonio Johnson said that this was the first day that the defense was allowed to tackle.

Antonio Johnson quotes:

On defense’s returning strength:

Yeah we have a lot of seniors, a lot of guys coming back, a lot of returning players. The secondary’s all fired up, we’re ready to have a go at it.

How does the secondary stack up in the big ten?

Me personally, I think we have some of the best guys in the country. I mean I’m a little biased but, I think we’re really physical, and everyone’s on the same page. We have great chemistry. Guys like Damarius, Eric, this is my fourth year playing with those guys.

On Eric Murray:

I love Eric Murray. He was my roommate freshman year. So I know him, he’s a cool guy. He’s real physical, he likes to get up on the line of scrimmage and beat up receivers. I like to play physical too, so I like the fact that he likes to play physical too.

Tracy Claeys quotes:

Linebacker situation:

That’s the one where we have enough bodies, but it’s just a matter of straightening out where it’s going to fit, and how it’s all going to fit together. As far as the kids go, there is a lot of them there, and I’ve been very pleased so far with where they’re at. It’ll probably take all of spring ball to figure out where that puzzle will go together.

On Cody Poock:

That kid’s got some natural instincts, so he wanted to move into the mike and try the mike position first. So our boys let kids play wherever they want to play first. Now it’s just a matter of learning the defense and showing what you can do.

Defensive line depth

I feel as good since I’ve been here. We’ve got a lot of freshmen there, and we get back Scott Ekpe, who started for us and played two full years for us. We’ve got as much depth in the D-line since we’ve been here.

Surprising players so far:

There’s probably two of them that are probably a little farther along. I think Charlie Rogers has done a nice job coming over from junior college and getting thrown in the fire. The other one, Julian Huff, that kid loves football. He’ll get after you. So I’m really pleased with him. He’s got a lot to learn, but the one thing is you don’t have to tell him to go sic em. There’s a lot of them who have the chance to get on the field.

So Poock wanted to try MLB. Interesting. I was (and still likely am) expecting Lynn to start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom