Spring Position Previews: Linebackers

Good to see MSM will get some competition. He was tough to watch most of last year.
Yep, I still get flashbacks of the Maryland game. That one was particularly bad. Honestly not sure he should be starting against spread offenses or uber athletic teams. He seems to do better against more traditional big 10 offenses like Wisconsin and Iowa where athleticism isn’t as important. Will be good to at least have another option.

The quote below says it all. More athleticism and depth at the position than I can ever remember, but their subpar performance last year has me so worried about this group. Hoping Rossi can pull them together.

Put simply, there is plenty of clay here. The question is whether Fleck and Rossi can mold it into a group of Big Ten linebackers.

This piece is right on the money.

I didn't realize that Gibbens was brought in as a mike.

If Oliver isn't a quality starter, we are probably in trouble at LB.

This piece is right on the money.

I didn't realize that Gibbens was brought in as a mike.

If Oliver isn't a quality starter, we are probably in trouble at LB.
Obviously getting Oliver back at 100% would be a huge boost to the LB corps.

I don't necessarily agree we are in trouble though if Oliver isn't able to play at a high level. We have a lot of options at LB and many of them were pretty highly touted coming in and have been in the program now for a few seasons. LB would be a prime position where someone could break out in a big way. Guys like Gordon, Willis, Burns, Lindenberg and others are all potential breakout candidates. For example, Willis and Gordon are both in year 3 now so should be starting to hit the point where they are ready to take on a bigger role.

Too often in football fans assume if a guy doesn't play right away it means they are not good. While that can tend to be true on the basketball side, in football it takes a lot of players multiple years to really get acclimated to the college game and to get to the point where they are ready to make an impact.

Let's not discount the issues with the DT's last year. when the DT's are tying up the middle of the OL, that leaves the LB's free to flow to the ball. when the DT's are not clogging up the middle, that leaves OL free to get out and block the LB's.

better play at DT this year will make the LB's look better.

Yep, I still get flashbacks of the Maryland game. That one was particularly bad. Honestly not sure he should be starting against spread offenses or uber athletic teams. He seems to do better against more traditional big 10 offenses like Wisconsin and Iowa where athleticism isn’t as important. Will be good to at least have another option.
The reason they recruited him was his athleticism. He as around 6'2" around 195 his senior year at Anoka. He was put in there to early for Big 10 play, he added weight.

No mention of Thomas Rush? I saw him on the field pretty frequently last season.

Hmmm that’s odd especially considering I’m quite certain the position switch was even prior to last season.
Carter Coughlin was carried on the roster as a LB in 2019, though he typically lined up at DE. Rush plays in the Coughlin spot. I think it is called “edge rusher” or something like that. Essentially a LB who gets up on the line of scrimmage in pass rushing situations. He might rush; he might drop into coverage.

Obviously getting Oliver back at 100% would be a huge boost to the LB corps.

I don't necessarily agree we are in trouble though if Oliver isn't able to play at a high level. We have a lot of options at LB and many of them were pretty highly touted coming in and have been in the program now for a few seasons. LB would be a prime position where someone could break out in a big way. Guys like Gordon, Willis, Burns, Lindenberg and others are all potential breakout candidates. For example, Willis and Gordon are both in year 3 now so should be starting to hit the point where they are ready to take on a bigger role.

Too often in football fans assume if a guy doesn't play right away it means they are not good. While that can tend to be true on the basketball side, in football it takes a lot of players multiple years to really get acclimated to the college game and to get to the point where they are ready to make an impact.
Two words: Boye Mafe.

The reason they recruited him was his athleticism. He as around 6'2" around 195 his senior year at Anoka. He was put in there to early for Big 10 play, he added weight.
I think he was talking about MSM, not Lindenberg

I think he was talking about MSM, not Lindenberg
Was just on the roster page and it has MSM listed as undecided for a Major...but also Academic All-B1G and B1G Distinguished Scholar. Found that to be sort of interesting.

Was just on the roster page and it has MSM listed as undecided for a Major...but also Academic All-B1G and B1G Distinguished Scholar. Found that to be sort of interesting.
Just means he doesn't know what he wants to do with his life but he gets good grades in the classes he is taking :)

What a sweetheart deal. A patient young player goes thru a red shirt year, focus on classes taking less load, go to summer school, and bulk up like Boye Mafe and Calvin Swenson did.

They will be mature physically, spiritually, and mentally in two years or so. With good grades, it has to impact their performance positively. The impact on the team is substantial.

In five years, they have a degree. If they decide, an extra year of eligibility can get them started on their graduate degree. Sooner if they load up and graduate in three years with a graduate degree paid for.

For those who really excel, the NFL beckons. You can bet that these players will have a profound impact on the team with team first attitude. Everybody is rowing!

Last edited:

Top Bottom