Spring Game Moved Indoors, closed to the public, Fan Event Planned for the Fall

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Spring Game Moved Indoors, Fan Event Planned for the Fall

The University of Minnesota football team will play its annual Spring Game presented by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota at 1 p.m. on Saturday, April 30, at the team's indoor football facility at Athletes Village. It was previously announced that the game would take place at Huntington Bank Stadium, but with forecasted thunder, lightning and rain for most of the day Saturday, the decision was made to move the game to Minnesota's world-class Athletes Village.

Due to limited crowd space, the game will no longer be open to the public, but it will still air live on BTN and on the Gopher Radio Network.

In addition to the move indoors, all fan-related activities – including the oar collection and diaper drive – scheduled to take place on Saturday have been canceled. With this change, Minnesota head coach P.J. Fleck said that the team will hold a fan-friendly event during training camp where the public can interact with coaches, staff and players. Minnesota will also hold its annual oar collection and diaper drive at this event in the fall.

"We are disappointed to move the game indoors," said Fleck. "But we wanted to do what was safe for our student-athletes and fans, and we did not want to cancel the game. By moving inside, our fans can watch the game live on BTN or listen to it on the radio. We will be sure to plan a fun fan-friendly event for the fall."

Go Gophers!!

I'm assuming they held it later in the year, as they've been burned by crummy weather in the past. Didn't matter, still get kicked in the teeth by Mother Nature.
Makes sense, though. Don't want to risk too much at this stage with a very slick field.

When I first moved to MN from KY and MO an MN native told me that MN has a lovely spring but if you have to work that day, you miss it.
Spring is definitely the most unpredictable season here.

When I first moved to MN from KY and MO an MN native told me that MN has a lovely spring but if you have to work that day, you miss it.
Oh man crazy native.

Spring here is a mess. It's nice when you get those thaws and days in the 60s with sun here and there. Get enough of those and it's good. But there's no sure deal on that and if you don't it's just garbage.

Fall is where it is at.

Spring is definitely the most unpredictable season here.

It's easily the hardest season to forecast. You could see this weekend's storm coming for a week now, so tomorrow's forecast and the decision to move the game indoors wasn't too difficult. But generally do not put much faith in a weather forecast more than a day or two out April - June.

The title I saw was "Minnesota Spring Game". I've got it set to record on Saturday on YouTubeTV.
Duh....I was looking at Friday's listings....not Saturdays.....damn Bourbon Old Fashioned's might've kicked in.

Hey, ask a high school girls softball or baseball coach what they think of Minnesota springs. Pretty rare the weather is conducive to being outside at all or without being wind and rain gear restricted.

Sometimes I'm amazed spring sports ... happen.
A dad of one of my son's baseball teammates a few years back grew up in Iowa and said their high school baseball season didn't start until May something or other and they finished up the state tournaments in late July. Not sure if they still do that. He liked the Iowa schedule much better.
He always brought that up when we were huddled behind some equipment shed to get out of the wind as we watched our sons try and play ball with 15 layers of clothes while our wives sat in a running car with the heat blasted looking at their iPhones. This happened often and usually sandwiched between two windless days in the 60s.

A dad of one of my son's baseball teammates a few years back grew up in Iowa and said their high school baseball season didn't start until May something or other and they finished up the state tournaments in late July. Not sure if they still do that. He liked the Iowa schedule much better.
He always brought that up when we were huddled behind some equipment shed to get out of the wind as we watched our sons try and play ball with 15 layers of clothes while our wives sat in a running car with the heat blasted looking at their iPhones. This happened often and usually sandwiched between two windless days in the 60s.
I grew up in Wisconsin and our high school season was a summer sport. It was great for weather but had a lot of drawbacks as well....we'd lose guys every year that got (needed to get) jobs during their junior or senior years. In addition, college coaches are done with recruiting the following years freshman class by the time your season starts, so even if you blow up and have a monster senior season, most spots were filled.

I hope in the future they always have US Bank as a back-up in case of weather.....not having fans there is not ideal for a big recruiting day. Sucks.

I grew up in Wisconsin and our high school season was a summer sport. It was great for weather but had a lot of drawbacks as well....we'd lose guys every year that got (needed to get) jobs during their junior or senior years. In addition, college coaches are done with recruiting the following years freshman class by the time your season starts, so even if you blow up and have a monster senior season, most spots were filled.
I wondered about all that. And, knowing myself and my friends at that time, that was party season...I doubt many of us would have survived a season with out a suspension or two. ;)

I wondered about all that. And, knowing myself and my friends at that time, that was party season...I doubt many of us would have survived a season with out a suspension or two. ;)
I didn't include that aspect......but it's real. LOL

I hope in the future they always have US Bank as a back-up in case of weather.....not having fans there is not ideal for a big recruiting day. Sucks.
I like this and it should happen but how do you plan for a “just in case” vs booking a concert or event there that is guaranteed pay?

I like this and it should happen but how do you plan for a “just in case” vs booking a concert or event there that is guaranteed pay?
I don't know......maybe they should just plan on playing it at US Bank.....the players/recruits would love it.

Top Bottom