Spring Game Future?

Will spring scrimmages with FCS schools NDSU SDSU St. Thomas be in the future as their fans would pack the Bank. Plus Gopher coaches would get to evaluate their potential players when they enter the portal. Win Win for everyone.

Will spring scrimmages with FCS schools NDSU SDSU St. Thomas be in the future as their fans would pack the Bank. Plus Gopher coaches would get to evaluate their potential players when they enter the portal. Win Win for everyone.
It's a lose-lose. No one would go to the game and you risk important players getting injured.

It's a lose-lose. No one would go to the game and you risk important players getting injured.
Lot of people would absolutely go to a Minn vs Wisc or Minn vs Iowa open to the public spring event at the stadium. Could simply be a joint practice.

Agree that no coach would risk it.

the NFL does joint workouts during training camp. so theoretically, I could see college FB teams agreeing to do some type of joint workout/scrimmage.

due to the travel costs & logistics, I don't seen P4 level schools playing teams from their conference.
it would have to be more of a regional thing.

if the Gophers would host a scrimmage against - say - SDSU or NDSU - I think that would be a big draw.

but, as noted, I don't see it happening due to the risk of injury and teams not wanting to give away any intel to future opponents.

Lot of people would absolutely go to a Minn vs Wisc or Minn vs Iowa open to the public spring event at the stadium. Could simply be a joint practice.

Agree that no coach would risk it.

No one would go see MN vs UST though

The vast majority of teams haven’t changed a thing relative to spring “games”. The last two weekends have been full of them on TV.

Nebraska will draw 80,000 for its spring game - and they have to buy tickets. We will draw zero and apparently not be on BTN. In the crazy situation college football is in today, you need every bit of exposure and publicity you can get (revolving door portal, poaching players with cash, etc.). We should have a spring game every year in late April in the stadium or even in the Viking stadium.

Gotta think with D2 and D3, that with the Portal and attrition, it's hard to have enough guys to play intrasquad, so this is a great option. Not sure I see FBS doing it with so much movement of players between schools right now.

Controlled scrimmages with FCS D2 D3 teams. With no scoring & everyone receives a participation ribbon. ❄️❄️❄️ With tator tot hotdish & anything deep fried on a stick food trucks.

Nebraska will draw 80,000 for its spring game - and they have to buy tickets. We will draw zero and apparently not be on BTN. In the crazy situation college football is in today, you need every bit of exposure and publicity you can get (revolving door portal, poaching players with cash, etc.). We should have a spring game every year in late April in the stadium or even in the Viking stadium.
Are they that desperate for something to do down there? That tells you how much more we have going in the Twin Cities whether it be sports, concerts, and theater.

Are they that desperate for something to do down there? That tells you how much more we have going in the Twin Cities whether it be sports, concerts, and theater.
That sounds like a desperate rationalization. They are good fans and a lot of fans all throughout the country show up en mass for the spring games. 60 years of mediocrity keep our fan base down more than the other things there are to do here in town. The spring game was always a top five event of the year for me so well I get Fleck’s point, I think overall it’s flawed.

Top Bottom