Spring Game date announced

Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0

New Orleans 2020
Reaction score

Minnesota will hold its annual spring game on April 4
2020 Spring Game

FOOTBALL | 1/28/2020 12:10:00 PM
Story Links
The University of Minnesota football team will play its annual spring game at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 4 at TCF Bank Stadium.

The fan-friendly game will once again be free to attend and there will be plenty of activities for fans to enjoy prior to the exhibition contest.

A pre-game fan fest will start at 9:30 a.m. on Tribal Nations Plaza and will feature activities for families and kids. There will be music and games for all to enjoy as well.

Minnesota will once again be collecting fan-decorated oars near Gate A. The oars will then be displayed inside the stadium and are prominently featured as the team walks from its locker room to the field.

Fans are encouraged to park in the Victory, Maroon, Gold or Gopher lots or in lots 33 or 37. Gate A at TCF Bank Stadium will open at 10 a.m. for fans to enter the stadium.

Members of the team and coaching staff will be available on the field after the game for autographs.

Additional information regarding Minnesota's spring game and spring practice schedule will be announced when it is available.

Minnesota will hold its annual spring game on April 4
2020 Spring Game

FOOTBALL | 1/28/2020 12:10:00 PM
Story Links
The University of Minnesota football team will play its annual spring game at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 4 at TCF Bank Stadium.

The fan-friendly game will once again be free to attend and there will be plenty of activities for fans to enjoy prior to the exhibition contest.

A pre-game fan fest will start at 9:30 a.m. on Tribal Nations Plaza and will feature activities for families and kids. There will be music and games for all to enjoy as well.

Minnesota will once again be collecting fan-decorated oars near Gate A. The oars will then be displayed inside the stadium and are prominently featured as the team walks from its locker room to the field.

Fans are encouraged to park in the Victory, Maroon, Gold or Gopher lots or in lots 33 or 37. Gate A at TCF Bank Stadium will open at 10 a.m. for fans to enter the stadium.

Members of the team and coaching staff will be available on the field after the game for autographs.

Additional information regarding Minnesota's spring game and spring practice schedule will be announced when it is available.
Brrrr ...

To use Burns' phrase - they keep touching the stove (in this case even after being burned by last year's weather so early in the spring). But, my guess is Fleck has strong thoughts on when these things should happen and that overrides the possibility of bad weather. I just wish they could have a bigger backup indoor venue, or even do something outside the box like schedule it in U.S. Bank Stadium right from the start (although it is probably configured for baseball at that time of the year).

Date must have to do with other events that may be preventing the team from doing this later.

To use Burns' phrase - they keep touching the stove (in this case even after being burned by last year's weather so early in the spring). But, my guess is Fleck has strong thoughts on when these things should happen and that overrides the possibility of bad weather. I just wish they could have a bigger backup indoor venue, or even do something outside the box like schedule it in U.S. Bank Stadium right from the start (although it is probably configured for baseball at that time of the year).
I imagine US Bank stadium would be hella costy.

I think what some people forget is that the Spring game is just a glorified practice to wrap up spring practices. The date is going to be determined by whatever the spring practice window happens to be that year.

So while they want the spring game to be a fan friendly event, that never has been the #1 priority. They will do the best they can to make it a fun experience but the willingness to accommodate the fans is only going to go so far for something like this.

The unfortunate reality is that there really aren't many indoor venues available as a backup and even if US Bank was configured for football at the time I doubt there would be enough fan demand to justify whatever costs would be associated with going there. So they make the best of it and the fans that are dying to get their football fix will tough out the conditions, whatever they may be.

The only other potential options are the 18th and the 25th. The 11th is the day before Easter, so that's not gonna work well. Can't push any later because the last day of class is the 30th. Could be some combination of those things?

I think what some people forget is that the Spring game is just a glorified practice to wrap up spring practices. The date is going to be determined by whatever the spring practice window happens to be that year.

So while they want the spring game to be a fan friendly event, that never has been the #1 priority. They will do the best they can to make it a fun experience but the willingness to accommodate the fans is only going to go so far for something like this.

The unfortunate reality is that there really aren't many indoor venues available as a backup and even if US Bank was configured for football at the time I doubt there would be enough fan demand to justify whatever costs would be associated with going there. So they make the best of it and the fans that are dying to get their football fix will tough out the conditions, whatever they may be.
Maybe after a few more 10+ win seasons the demand for it to happen at US Bank will be there

The only other potential options are the 18th and the 25th. The 11th is the day before Easter, so that's not gonna work well. Can't push any later because the last day of class is the 30th. Could be some combination of those things?
Yeah it's not super easy to schedule and of all things the spring game isn't something worth jumping through too many hoops / wasting whatever favors you might be able to get from the U on ... a spring game.

I'm wondering if we will see an up tick in the number of people attending. For those who have been there: What is the experience like? Is it worth going?

I'm wondering if we will see an up tick in the number of people attending. For those who have been there: What is the experience like? Is it worth going?

It's not particularly exciting if you compare it to a game.

Basically they do a practice where they split into two teams that looks very game like. No big hits (well there's not supposed to be).

The PA announcer does some announcing, PJ is mic'd up sometimes.

They've pulle students out of the stands to try to catch a punt a few times.

A word of caution, they open a few concession spots but they tend to be low on supplies so don't expect much there (understandable opening for all of one day).

It's low key but fun.

Basically they do a practice where they split into two teams that looks very game like. No big hits (well there's not supposed to be).

A word of caution, they open a few concession spots but they tend to be low on supplies so don't expect much there (understandable opening for all of one day).

It's low key but fun.

Don't forget you might get a glimpse of super secret weapons like Faalele being used as a running back. :)

Still can't believe how much run that got as an actual option for the offense last year....

Don't forget you might get a glimpse of super secret weapons like Faalele being used as a running back. :)

Still can't believe how much run that got as an actual option for the offense last year....

I'm imagining prep for a gopher game.

Hey 220 pound linebacker ...at the goal line I want you to watch this guy and you're going to have to stop his momentum if he gets the ball ... also try not to die doing it...

I imagine US Bank stadium would be hella costy.
What? Why? Wasn't Ziggy stating it was the people's stadium as he was pandering to the governor and the Minnesota taxpayers to get hundreds of millions in corporate welfare? Gotta be a few freebies in there for that!

What? Why? Wasn't Ziggy stating it was the people's stadium as he was pandering to the governor and the Minnesota taxpayers to get hundreds of millions in corporate welfare? Gotta be a few freebies in there for that!
That’s not how the Mob operates.

It's low key but fun.

I haven't been there for a couple years, but the last time we went the kids got to go on the field and get autographs. My son really enjoyed that. Even got a picture with Sid Hartman. I'm not sure Sid knew what was happening, but we were in and out before he could notice.

So I guess there are 2 spring game threads now?

The goal is to finish spring practice as early as possible to get players healed up and ready for fall camp. PJ would probably have it mid-February if allowed...

I enjoyed attending Spring games especially when our kids were younger. Players interacting with them and fans afterwards was always a highlight. We always made a weekend of it and stayed over at a local hotel. I’d recommend going to it once to see if it’s something you’d like. Personally, we’d go every year when schedule allowed.

Time to consider having the Spring Game indoors at US Bank Stadium as a contingency plan. That will bring in a lot of fans.

We are forgetting very quickly that we had a snowstorm with 11 inches of snow on April 4 2014 not too long ago.

I enjoyed attending Spring games especially when our kids were younger. Players interacting with them and fans afterwards was always a highlight. We always made a weekend of it and stayed over at a local hotel. I’d recommend going to it once to see if it’s something you’d like. Personally, we’d go every year when schedule allowed.
I was always impressed with how genuinely nice the players were to the kids too. Seemed like the players were really enjoying it.

So I guess there are 2 spring game threads now?
Yes, one where everyone is excited about the game and the other one where everyone bitches about...oh, never mind.

If it's a nice, warm day, it can be a lot of fun -- one of the first opportunities to be outside early in the spring. Sit outside, have a beer and tailgate. If you have kids, go down on the field and see the players. But if it's not a nice day, it's not much fun at all. A few years ago it was cold and they only allowed fans on the shady side. I can't imagine what they were thinking on that one.

Twins home opener is April 2nd. The world has gone mad.

Top Bottom