Spring Football player/personnel predictions

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
I'll try to bump this thread when spring practice hits, but what are your predictions for what the roster looks like and/or the coaching staff?

I really think Claeys is gone. (who the new coach is, I have no idea)

I predict 12 players transfer including all 5 that were initially suspended, then Winfield and six more.

Just curious as to see where everyone thinks we will be come April.

Again, these are just my predictions with absolutely no sources or information to back it up. Pure speculation.

If Claeys leaves, 20 students will transfer. There will be no recruits. It has been hard to recruit to Minnesota for 40 years. It will now
be impossible

Coyle and Kaler could not have done a more terrible job managing.

Happy New Year!

We were already losing 15 kids with eligibility left according to Claeys, plus our 17 Seniors, now we lose maybe another 15 of our top players along with 80% of the kids that have already committed plus we don't get a decent in state recruit for the next 2-3 years unless they spend $4 million plus per year to hire a big name.

Either way, Coyle and Kaler should be gone along with Claeys if they fire him. We are screwed.

We were already losing 15 kids with eligibility left according to Claeys, plus our 17 Seniors, now we lose maybe another 15 of our top players along with 80% of the kids that have already committed plus we don't get a decent in state recruit for the next 2-3 years unless they spend $4 million plus per year to hire a big name.

Either way, Coyle and Kaler should be gone along with Claeys if they fire him. We are screwed.

15 with eligibility? when did this come out?

No way Claeys gets fired. There would be a major lawsuit for retribution. I'd imagine employment law at the U of MN would be similar at Fortune 500 type companies. It's one thing if the team is not performing (i.e. TC performance issue), but no way lawyers at the U will let Coyle/Kaler fire TC especially just getting the vote of confidence immediately following the regular season game just a few weeks ago.

15 with eligibility? when did this come out?

This was a list put out a few weeks ago. Most weren't scholarship players but some were and some were injury guys...but all were part of the 105 man roster.

If Claeys leaves, 20 students will transfer. There will be no recruits. It has been hard to recruit to Minnesota for 40 years. It will now
be impossible

Coyle and Kaler could not have done a more terrible job managing.

Happy New Year!

Coyle and Kaler have been horrible. Firing Claeys after the bowl game would be escalating things all over again. I can't imagine the staff staying under those circumstances. And if they are Firing all coaches... I gotta believe either way at minimum half the remaining roster would leave on principle. We'd have maybe 25 players and no staff by signing day. That'd be just dumb!!! You just had a boycott! Now is not the time to poke the dog.

It's easy to take the doom and gloom approach on this one...and as a pessimist, I'm naturally inclined to do so. But I'll take the other side here and guess that at least 2 or 3 of the suspended players have their penalties downgraded to probation (including Green). Yes, "the 5" will be expelled and Winfield will transfer -- and probably end up at a huge program, given what he showed this year. We'll lose the 2 or 3 whose one year suspensions are upheld. I'll guess we don't see many other transfers because of this situation. Probably lose a WR or two (Gentry? Holland?) and another random player or two for PT reasons or wanting to be closer to home. We'll lose 1 or 2 more recruits, but will pick up guys to take their place. Normal stuff.

Players are upset, but in the end, I think their anger is directed at the university administration, and a lot of guys like this coaching staff and playing for a competitive team in the B1G.

*PS: Please be gentle when this gets bumped in February and our roster is down to 65 guys, 20 of whom are walk-ons. Thx.

I hope Mr. Winfield and the other "additional" players named following the October suspensions settle in, let the appeals play out for reduced or no penalties.

No way Claeys gets fired. There would be a major lawsuit for retribution. I'd imagine employment law at the U of MN would be similar at Fortune 500 type companies. It's one thing if the team is not performing (i.e. TC performance issue), but no way lawyers at the U will let Coyle/Kaler fire TC especially just getting the vote of confidence immediately following the regular season game just a few weeks ago.

Vote of confidence factors in how? Isn't it known as the "kiss of death" in sports when you receive that? Not uncommon at all to be fired after getting that. If they want to fire TC they just need to play the 17-year old recruit card. No one will sue them on those grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vote of confidence factors in how? Isn't it known as the "kiss of death" in sports when you receive that? Not uncommon at all to be fired after getting that. If they want to fire TC they just need to play the 17-year old recruit card. No one will sue them on those grounds.

Except they knew about that months ago...love to see them try to explain that one. Discovery on that lawsuit would be pretty painful for both. Would probably be their demise if still around, and ensure they would not get hired elsewhere for many years. They can't take any kind of high ground at this point.

Except they knew about that months ago...love to see them try to explain that one. Discovery on that lawsuit would be pretty painful for both. Would probably be their demise if still around, and ensure they would not get hired elsewhere for many years. They can't take any kind of high ground at this point.

All valid points. Personally, I think TC should be fired for this (& I was 100% against it prior) and he should have been in Sept. The only reason they would do it now if not then is the 'environment' around this case has changed a lot and people will go after others to save themselves. I guess my point is, IMO, if they fire TC for that reason he isn't going to be suing them over it.

I hope Mr. Winfield and the other "additional" players named following the October suspensions settle in, let the appeals play out for reduced or no penalties.

Winfield will be gone

Shaping up to be a 2-3 win next season. That should do wonders for "donations".

Top Bottom