Spring Ball: Anybody have info on potential dates?

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Obviously things are fluid with COVID, but has anyone heard anything about potential spring ball?

Clearly it seems like April would be the earliest start date at this point, but I guess they could push as late as early May (can't recall when finals at the U are).

I wonder if it's also possible the NCAA would allow teams to have spring ball after the spring semester ended this year? Maybe late May or early June. Would still give 2-3 months before fall camp.

Any news or info is appreciated!

We have to get to the vaccinations first. They are talking about end of May before older and vulnerable population are fully vaccinated. At least those who are not anti-vaccine. Then, the time will come were younger folks get their turn.

At this point in time, Minnesota is in the top five in rolling out vaccinations. Who knows, maybe it is possible. I don't think the NCAA will make a uniform ruling. Look at Texas and Mississippi getting rid of masking all together.

Gopher women volleyball had to cancel their match this weekend, and I believe it was implied that the issue was health on the Gopher side. No idea how much teams are interacting, but maybe it could be going around here?

Not sure what that would do, if anything, to spring ball or workout schedule.

Spring ball after the semester ends would be weird for guys who ... want to go home. They already come back earlier than most students right?

As it was for a lot of teams this fall they couldn't go home because COVID... now keep them away more?

I dunno about doing it later ...

When PJ said they'd pass on any bowl games he emphasized letting the guys go home. As much as some of us old guys think being at college must be amazing ... I think going home must be important for a lot of those players. Hate to keep them away even more.

Spring ball after the semester ends would be weird for guys who ... want to go home. They already come back earlier than most students right?

As it was for a lot of teams this fall they couldn't go home because COVID... now keep them away more?

I dunno about doing it later ...

When PJ said they'd pass on any bowl games he emphasized letting the guys go home. As much as some of us old guys think being at college must be amazing ... I think going home must be important for a lot of those players. Hate to keep them away even more.

I think they generally go home for a few weeks before summer school and workouts start. Most - or likely all - of the team is here in the summers. I guess in my scenario, you maybe just push back their home visits a bit.

Gonna definitely be strange and less than ideal if some conferences (looking at you, SEC) get to have spring ball, but others don't. Would be good to have everyone on more equal footing again heading into the 2021 season.

Last day of instruction for Spring semester this year is May 3rd, with Finals happening between the 6th and the 12th.

IIRC the latest I've seen the spring game landing is a week before the last weekend before finals (I think so that the team can have the last week of classes to just focus on schoolwork), which would put the game happening at the latest around April 24th.

With the team working out, I would expect Spring Practice and the Spring Game to happen, though I think no open practice or fans at the Spring Game.

Last day of instruction for Spring semester this year is May 3rd, with Finals happening between the 6th and the 12th.

IIRC the latest I've seen the spring game landing is a week before the last weekend before finals (I think so that the team can have the last week of classes to just focus on schoolwork), which would put the game happening at the latest around April 24th.

With the team working out, I would expect Spring Practice and the Spring Game to happen, though I think no open practice or fans at the Spring Game.

That'd a good point. Since they are already working out together, have to wonder if vaccines are really a concern. Wonder if they could do contact drills in masks, kinda like kids are playing basketball with masks on right now?

Hopefully it will be televised or recorded like last year?

Hopefully they will stream the Spring Game live...

I think they generally go home for a few weeks before summer school and workouts start. Most - or likely all - of the team is here in the summers. I guess in my scenario, you maybe just push back their home visits a bit.

Gonna definitely be strange and less than ideal if some conferences (looking at you, SEC) get to have spring ball, but others don't. Would be good to have everyone on more equal footing again heading into the 2021 season.
SEC teams have already started spring practice.

The game will be available for fans to watch if it happens. Are people actually concerned about this? High schools stream their JV basketball games.

SEC teams have already started spring practice.
Not really sure why spring ball hasn't started pretty much everywhere. Doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. Hopefully they can get going soon. I think the lack of spring ball last year most certainly didn't help Morgan get used to a few new receivers or a lot of the new faces on defense get acclimated to bigger roles.

GO GOPHERS!!

Not really sure why spring ball hasn't started pretty much everywhere. Doesn't really seem to make a lot of sense. Hopefully they can get going soon. I think the lack of spring ball last year most certainly didn't help Morgan get used to a few new receivers or a lot of the new faces on defense get acclimated to bigger roles.

GO GOPHERS!!
They are only allowed 15 practices in spring. Bet they gonna try to do it all in one month

The game will be available for fans to watch if it happens. Are people actually concerned about this? High schools stream their JV basketball games.
and the problem is that we are still streaming games and not allowing fans into these venues.

"Georgia football is set to begin spring practice this month, with March 16 being the intended start date" They will have spring ball April 17th

Wonder if the lifting of capacity might mean some open practices and Spring game fans at the Bank?

Wonder if the lifting of capacity might mean some open practices and Spring game fans at the Bank?
According to https://staysafe.mn.gov/ (see the outdoor events and entertainment section), starting April 1st it would seem that up to 10k people would be allowed to watch the Spring Game in the stadium.

I could see the U playing it safe here, and waiting until Spring Semester is over to start loosening restrictions. The last thing they want is a potential outbreak among students during finals week because they let people go to the spring game.

I mean, it's outdoors and you can space the crap out of people with only 10k in a 50k stadium. And you can still require people to wear masks ("belt and suspenders" approach).

But, you're right that better safe than sorry. We will see.

Not sure if they are splitting this year. Football site indicates pausing for Spring Break from I believe the 5th to the 9th. No announcement as to the spring game itself.

According to https://staysafe.mn.gov/ (see the outdoor events and entertainment section), starting April 1st it would seem that up to 10k people would be allowed to watch the Spring
According to https://staysafe.mn.gov/ (see the outdoor events and entertainment section), starting April 1st it would seem that up to 10k people would be allowed to watch the Spring Game in the stadium.
Actually now that CDC has readjusted there minimum distance to three feet apart, we could handle 30,000 at the spring game.

I've got my shot card started...but won't be fully protected till mid-May. C'est la vie I guess. Looking good for Fall though.

Still, I'm all for those who can provide this to see a Spring Game in person...

COVID

1616459609631.png

With them starting on the 29th and it seems like most schools spring game is a month after, that would leave a spring game on May 1st being the most likely outcome if it happens

Top Bottom