Sports Huddle Summary: Coach Jerry Kill - 2/26/12

DL65

Reaction score
Coach Kill was on for only one segment of his normal time slot, for he had some meetings with on campus recuits that are visiting the U as a part of Junior Day program. Again, Dave Mona and Sid Hartman asked some of the questions that were raised on GopherHole this week.

1) Junior Day: Yesterday and today . . . 60-70 recruits visiting the U from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. It's an opportunity to introduce the players to the University of Minnesota and its facilities (TCF Bank Stadium was emphasized), position coaches and the coaching philosophy. In all, the players are with the coaching staff for 3-4 hours. The key is to get them back to campus for spring ball and the summer camps. (This was a follow up to a multiple part GopherHole question of last week.)

2) Sid asked another general question about Junior Day activities and knowing the players invited: "You'll get surprised by some of the players when you see them." (Kill was referring to the physical size and maturity of some of the young players.) Kill also said they know some of the players from their participation in last year's summer camps. Again, he stressed it was extremely important that they get many of the invitees back to the campus for spring ball and summer camps. During the spring ball activities the young players get a chance to sit in meetings, watch films, and are afforded an up close inspection of the coaching philosophy and teaching methods.

3) New kick-off rule: "It's a safety rule . . . trying to eliminate major collisions (injuries)." It allows a good kick-off team to get a lot more touchbacks. Teams with an outstanding return team will have to have make more decisions (Do I or don't I return the kick five yards inside the end zone?). Strategy will come into play more with the new rule. NFL tweaked the kick-off rule, because of risks of injury, which has filtered down to the college game. (This question was in a thread "Rule changes for the upcoming season," which was started by nooram.)

4) Sid asked what the players are doing in the off season: Kill again stressed the competitive aspects of the off season training regimen (8 groups competing against one another). "You can't hide . . . go half speed and be successful." He credited coach Klein and his staff with the team's improvement, including teaching what's expected of them. He also said they still have a lot to learn in the mental aspects of the game.

5) Sid asked about a cancer promotion that Kill is a part of: Kill didn't recall specifically a scheduled cancer promotion; however, he did say that he's extremely busy reaching out to people everyday with scheduled speaking engagements. He did say that he's involved in cancer educational promotions as well as seizure disorders. kill didn't have his monthly/weekly planner in hand to answer Sid's specific question. Because coach Kill didn't exactly recall Sid's specific question immediately, Sid said he might have been mistaken about the cancer promotion at TCF Bank Stadium.

6) GopherHole question related to Marqueis Gray's selection to the committee conducting the search for an AD: Kill said he was proud and happy with Gray's selection; however, he went on to say he was extremely proud of Gray's community service work. He said he received 4 or 5 emails related to Gray reaching out and helping a child that's in the hospital. There was a strong sense of pride in his voice when he related Gray's human outreach. (Question raised by Croc Shots.)

7) Spring practice: First day is March 21 and the spring game is April 21, which will start at 11 a.m. "A good month with the kids . . . a lot of teaching and (we) have a lot to do to get better."

8) GopherHole question about pacing: Kill hopes the pace during spring ball is much quicker than last year, "We hope so . . . I expect everything to be better . . . off-season (training) better than last year." Again, he credited coach Klein and his staff in teaching the team what to expect. (Question raised by pk2.)

9) Injured players: Brendan Beal is definitely out for spring drills. Sounds more promising for Marcus Jones, "Has an opportunity to practice." (Kill sounded pleased and surprised with his recovery.) Campion and Gjere: sounded positive, however, they'll defer and wait for their release from the medical/training team. (A cautionary tone in his voice when it comes to concussions.)

10) GopherHole question related to Lamonte Edwards: "He'll play outside linebacker . . . no question." "Has a chance to be a great player . . . has to learn what to do in all phases." (Question was raised by 46Gophers.)

I wish coach Kill would have been on for the full allotted portion. i'm confident more of the GopherHole questions would have been asked. Thanks again to all that submitted questions earlier this week!

Go Gophers!!

I did not get a chance to listen today, so thanks for the summary, DL. Much appreciated.

5) Sid asked about a cancer promotion that Kill is a part of: Kill didn't recall specifically a scheduled cancer promotion; however, he did say that he's extremely busy reaching out to people everyday with scheduled speaking engagements. He did say that he's involved in cancer educational promotions as well as seizure disorders. kill didn't have his monthly/weekly planner in hand to answer Sid's specific question. Because coach Kill didn't exactly recall Sid's specific question immediately, Sid said he might have been mistaken about the cancer promotion at TCF Bank Stadium.

Found no reference to either event anywhere. Checked every place on The Internets.

Makes you wonder if Sid thought the event was promoting cancer. Cripes.

Anyway, if you'd like to donate to the Coach Kill Cancer Foundation, click here.

Thanks DL. Like that they are putting Edwards at outside linebacker. Followed him from Jr. High through high school and I always thought that he was better on the defensive side of the ball. As a HS RB he liked to run over people as opposed to around them and tended to run a little high which because of his athleticism was able to get away with in HS. Expecting good things from him this year at outside LB.

10) GopherHole question related to Lamonte Edwards: "He'll play outside linebacker . . . no question." "Has a chance to be a great player . . . has to learn what to do in all phases." (Question was raised by 46Gophers.)

Again, I'll have to eat crow. I can't recall if it was Dr.Don or Bob_L that kept bringing up CoachK and staff moving Edwards to LB, and I jumped on him saying it wasn't going to happen and to let it go. I was way off, and sorry to whomever that was.

Also, great job, DL!! I appreciate these write-ups because I have to work Sundays and I look forward to getting home and catching up with what happened (it's also nice not having to worry about deciphering Sid, too!).

It must have been Bob_L, because I never recommend/suggest any position changes. That is the job of the Coach and his Staff.

It must have been Bob_L, because I never recommend/suggest any position changes. That is the job of the Coach and his Staff.

Dr. Don, just to keep you in the loop, I'm considering a position change for you in the near future. For the life of me, I just can't figure out what that will be.

Thanks Ogee. You consideration for my well being and happiness is exceeded only by your combination of intelligence and common sense. :)

Top Bottom